Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw this pop up on CL this morning...Wildcats are rolling firebombs?

This is a warning to anyone purchasing an Arctic Cat Wildcat or anything for that matter from Bass Pro Shop. I purchased a 2012 Wildcat from Bass Pro Shop for $18,000 and have over $20K invested with accessories. I was more than happy with the way it handled but had several problems with the machine from the beginning. The worst of the problems was that the exhaust would get so hot that it would literally glow bright red and a flame would ignite from the tail pipe and would continue to stay lit even after the machine was shut off. I would actually have to put my boot over the tail pipe to extinguish the flame. I took it in to Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook for warranty and explained the list of problems including the door latches opening up daily causing one of the doors to be ripped off by a tree, the glove box also opened daily losing several pair of glasses, a bad oil leak from the bottom of the motor, coolant spilling from the overflow hose even though the 2nd cooling fan would never kick on, the electronic power steering would occasionally lock up while riding and it would give an error light on the display and the worst of the problems being the exhaust starting on fire. I showed the mechanic and service mngr where the plasitc fender and wiring harness above the muffler were actually starting to melt from the heat of the exhaust. I explained that my main concern was the 9 gallon plastic fuel cell that was only about 2 inches away from the muffler and only seperated by a thin sheet of metal. I told him that if a plastic fender is melting that is 6 inches from the muffler then theres a chance that the plastic fuel cell can melt and start on fire since its only about 2 inches away. When I picked up my Wildcat they told me the exhaust was perfectly fine and these new machines run a little warm. He stated that the only thing he found a problem with was the oil leak and thats the only thing they fixed other than greasing the power stearing. The mechanic and service mngr assured me that there was nothing wrong with my exhaust on the Wildcat. My Wildcat was like new with less than 300 miles when I took it to Bass Pro Shop for the issues. A few rides later I was out with a buddy of mine riding at night when he noticed something lit up behind us only to turn around and realize my muffler was on fire. We quickly pulled over and tried to put out the flames with the jug of water we had and our coats. There was no way we could put out the flames, my biggest worry came true and the exhaust had lit the plastic fuel cell on fire. The gas was on fire and pouring from the hole melted through the side of the fuel tank. It quickly lit the tires and plastic on fire and even our pants. The flames engulfed the entire machine in seconds and burned so hot that it melted the aluminum wheels, accessories and even much of the aluminum engine. If this would have happened in the day time we wouldnt have noticed the flames from behind and probably would have burned up with the machine when the flaming gas poured from the tank. After a long battle with Bass Pro Shop in Bolingbrook and Arctic Cat, their final answer to me was "theres nothing we are willing to do for you". My $20K Wildcat was a complete loss at less than 500 total miles on it. I made a huge mistake when I sold my Polaris RZR and switched to Arctic Cat against all of my friends advice who learned their lessons early with Arctic Cat snowmobiles and the lack of customer service from Arctic Cat and Bass Pro! If anyone was thinking of buying an Arctic Cat then think again. Its not worth losing $20K or possibly your life. Look at the pics of my machine with less than 500 miles. Spread the word and feel free to contact me with any questions. Also do a Google search for "Arctic Cat Wildcat glowing exhaust" and see for yourself all the other people having the same issues on the forums.
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/rvs/4432414294.html
    2011 Massimo 700efi

Guys lucky. But boy would that suck.

Sent from the seat of my Rhino.
    2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec SE. 12" double row LED's from Flimmy, Warn Vantage 3000, SSV works audio system.......I need to add more parts!!!!!

Wow,

I've had three Arctic Cat quads but sold one when I bought the Rhino. I was always pretty impressed with them but I guess I'll need to rethink that now.

Steve
    Steve
    2008 700
    SE Rims and seats, JStrong Top, JStrong Doors
    JBS Sheave, JBS Splash Guards, Purple Secondary Spring
    Cylinder Works +3mm Big Bore Kit (727cc), Gauges, Ryde-on Dust Guard, MSD 3D,
    Fan By-Pass (Home made using SteveS' wiring diagram), Horn, Siphon Break, Axia Exhaust Tip
    TrailBright LED Lights, Viper 4K Elite Wide Spool Winch
    .....And the list keeps growing.....

Asheboro n.c./mountaintop campground West by God Virginia
    This is why its a good idea to get insurance!
    13 BLACK CARBON COMMANDER X,JBS SKID PLATES,JBS FLOOR PROTECTORS,JBS ROOF,4 SPEAKER MP3.

That sucks. Insurance is always a good idea.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

My buddies wildcat burnt into nothing as well. Don't know how it started. I wasnt there. Same problems with the door latches and they wouldn't cover it either. Was in the shop more than he ride it.
    Using Tapatalk

insurance is a must , my rhino has had full coverage through Erie since new , covered for 16000.00 for 100.00/yr, I think that's pretty cheap piece of mind
    07 camo 660,yoshi duals,kms intake,dynatec cdi,jet kit, montana jack f&r winch mount,w/ warn xt40, 27" bighorns,2" lift, cab with summit heater,aux red top optima, 5 bad ass jrt's on board,itp ss 212s, jbs sheave,14 gr. wts,orange spring, 40 " led light bar, autometer guages,equus tach,innovate afm, jensen ms30 ,jbl 6.5s, elka stage 1 shocks, kenwood 2way radio, alpine ktp445u amp, led headlight mod,twisted stitch harnesses,pro1 doors, 60 amp alternator,power steering, pc925 battery

that's some shitty service
    2007 SE 660, Hotrods 4mm crank, Wisco 2 over 10/1 piston, head ported w/ +2mm valves, mud buster cam, billet middle gear support, JBS sheave 14g /purple spring, friction washers, slugged wet clutch +6 grams, Gibson header & muffler, 4000 lb winch, hi-flow fuel pump, K&N air filter/w pro-flow adapter, A/F gauge, 3in lift, 26 mud-lites, snorkeled, floor board guards, JBS radiator guards, fender flare's, rzr seats

Yeah, its a crazy story for sure. Honestly, if he had to put exhaust fires out multiple times before I wouldn't keep riding it even if the dealer told me it was fine. I would do my own research and fix the issue. I'd have a fire extinguisher in the machine too. Seems like a combo of poor decision making and poor manufacturer support.
    2011 Massimo 700efi

I have a 2013 Wildcat and have had none of the issues the writer of that article mentioned. What I find amazing is that he has a machine that is running so hot that the exhaust tip is glowing red yet he continues to carry a fuel cell in the bed of the machine.(EDIT: I misread this, no fuel in the bed!) Having it go up in flames is just what I would have thought would have happened. Sounds to me like the machine was just running lean. Why they kept looking at the exhaust is beyond me. It's clear that the exhaust is the affect...not the cause. I am not even going to try to defend Bass Pro, sounds like they sucked pretty hard!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast