Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupupp View Post
    Any reason for the dash lights to all light up when the key is on but no gauges? Do you think the starter relay is related?
    What dash lights are you talking about, the digital dash module or do you have some sort of lights that you have installed yourself? The same sort of question on your gauges. Yamaha does not have gauges per-se but rather the digital dash module. Did you install these gauges yourself? Do you mean the gauges do not light up or do you mean that they do not function and give readings. If so, what are the functions of these gauges?I am not at all familiar with the Viking so I am basing my questions on what I know of the Rhino. Please enlighten me if I am wrong here. If you installed these things yourself, you will have to tell me which circuits you got the power from.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

The factory gauges and they are identical to the rhino and grizzly.

With the key on this is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupupp View Post
    With the key on this is what happens.
    I did a bit of tracing circuits with a highlighter on the circuits that branch off of the power delivered by that fuse on the starter relay. The Viking wiring diagram is by far the worst drawn schematic I have ever came across. Lines go from one side of the paper to the other and then come back to the original side to hook up to something that is at the bottom of the page... I'm too old for that crap, my eyesight is not what it used to be, and this is printed out on 11" x 17" paper no less.

The power from that fuse goes through the contacts of a smaller relay (Fuel Injection System Relay) and then to the Fuel Pump, Fuel Injector and the ECU. There is no way of knowing what the ECU does with that signal and what will be shut off because of it. The F.I.S. Relay is triggered on by having the ignition key on. All this roundabout stuff was designed by people that said, "Hey lets use this battery hot powered fuse here that is not used anymore..... We can use another relay to turn it on and off with the Ignition Switch.... It only takes 45 feet of extra wiring.....". Ahhh, sorry about the venting, but.....

I would suggest that you put in a known good starter relay and simply see what happens. If nothing else, you get your fuel pump going and maybe the engine started, which is what we started out at, eh? No guarantee, but the ECU may turn the display "gauges" back on.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Ok will do! Thanks a bunch for your help so far!! Much appreciated!

Just curious if this could be a body or frame to engine ground issue ?

7. Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Manshoon View Post
    Just curious if this could be a body or frame to engine ground issue ?
    Yeah, it is certainly possible. However, the voltage testing is suggesting that it is a broken connection between fuse and positive terminal within the relay. There could be multiple problems, grounding being one of them. With electrical problems, you sort of have to fix one and go on to the next.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

i had something like that happen to my Rhino.
    it would crank and cank. to see if i got spark and fuel, i shot starter some starter fluid into the air intake and it started right up. so i knew it was most likely fuel. turned out my fuel pump was going bad.
    so i bought a electrical one and installed it.
    2007 Rhino660r
    JBS Sheave 16 g weights with Orange spring
    27 inche tires.
    12V electric fuel pump

Need help! Viking won't start!

Started to post, maybe a bad battery but after rereading the thread again your first post states it will crank. So, probly not. Sorry no help here. Hope you get it figured out soon! I was hoping for something simple!!!!

Ok Steve here is the update! Got the new starter relay in and now it starts and runs fine but still no gauges. I took a pic of the new relay and you can see the broken clip that is missing on the old relay.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast