Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: max tire

max tire

With clutch work and cdi what size tires can these machines handle?

I guess it really depends on what kind of riding you do. Do you ride trail, mud, or rocks? By looking at most signatures on here, most are running a 27" tire. Then you have some "crazies", like myself, who are running 30" tires lol. I know a clutch kit and cdi definitely improved turning my tires, and mine are not light. Just the tires alone weigh 66 lbs each.
    2005 Rhino
    686cc with 12:1 comp
    2" Lift
    30" Interco Black Mamba's
    JBS Hotrod Sheave
    Dynatek CDI
    Slugged Wet Clutch
    Dual Yoshi
    Custom Radiator Relocate
    32" LED Light Bar

Wow Thats heavy ! How do u like the mambas?

They dig pretty good, but Im more a fan of the Silverbacks. If Im ever able to sell my mambas, I will deff be going to a set of 30" silverbacks. Plus the silverbacks are 22 lbs lighter a tire lol
    2005 Rhino
    686cc with 12:1 comp
    2" Lift
    30" Interco Black Mamba's
    JBS Hotrod Sheave
    Dynatek CDI
    Slugged Wet Clutch
    Dual Yoshi
    Custom Radiator Relocate
    32" LED Light Bar

"Handle" is relative, there is naturally a sacrifice as the bigger you go creates different gearing ratios. If we had 4x4 trucks we would put in different rearends to accommodate the loss of power and add bigger brakes if you want to stop your rig within reasonable distances. Instead we modify the sheave ratios with machining, but that's limited.
    Keep in mind that the higher you go affects the center of gravity and the potential rollover factor, so consideration of wider wheel stance by spacers or longer travel kits may be desired.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Don't be expecting the top speed results you usually read about with people running smaller tires. As said, you have to really think about the percentage of the time during your avg ride that you "need" those big tires, the amount of time you are just cruising out the trail, and if you are looking for some high speed riding where you like a lot of power. It's all about the right tire for your riding style.

Myself, I avoid the deep mud when I can. I'm more into running hard through the trails and want a good rush down those short straights between turns and mudholes. It's all about suspension and power for me. I do get in some technical trails and love it. I do drag a good bit with 25s, but most of the time it's a matter of picking the right line to make it. That just adds to the fun. Now if you are a mudder, then go big. If you go big, try to go with a tire that's not to heavy.

I wouldn't mind having something bigger for winter around here, but I can't stop buying parts to make mine faster. LOL

To better answer your question...yes you can run a big tire and you will get your bottom end power and ability to turn them like stock tires with clutching. Seen a whole lot of these things in action. They will pull long hills, eat mud, and cruise good.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

7. Likes ClarksGarage liked this post

Thanks i do run alot of mud and Wet swampy trails so top speed doesnt bother me much i never get mine over 35mph Thats plenty for me. I would like to run 28s or 29.5s on my wolverine but Its límited space under the fenders.

I think you will be more than happy with the big tires then. I would get them on and see what it's like, take note of how it kills it. Then get you a sheave kit with a secondary spring and really turn those things.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

Keep in mind heavier/bigger tire will increase your chances of axle failure and bearing failure quicker. There is a sacrifice for the larger tire size.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

11. Likes Hump liked this post