Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

07 rhino 660 over heating

okay so we took the ole rhino out today for the first real ride od the season .we rhode along time with no problem then when we started on our second leg of our ride i stoped behind a couple other people in our group waitng on two more riders i noticed the the overheat light was on so i shut it off after waitng a few min we went to move on it was still on but we got moving again it went off juat figured that it was just from sitting close to the person in front
    of us then a few hours later it did it again but it wouldnt go off this time so in fear of damaging the engine i got a guy to tow us out of the woods now i took the cap off and it was under pressur but the coolant was warm this was right after i noticed it over heated again so then i pulled the thermostat hoising off and took the thermostat out and there was no coolant coming out of the head and the over flow jug was full
    did the water pump take a dump on me or.am.i missing something else

The idiot light sender on my old 06 started failing intermittently at one point. At first I thought I was overheating but later I noticed it would sometimes come on before it could possibly overheat. I replaced the sender and had no more issues. Later I added a gauge for additional peace of mind.
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by mpdave391 View Post
    okay so we took the ole rhino out today for the first real ride od the season .we rhode along time with no problem then when we started on our second leg of our ride i stoped behind a couple other people in our group waitng on two more riders i noticed the the overheat light was on so i shut it off after waitng a few min we went to move on it was still on but we got moving again it went off juat figured that it was just from sitting close to the person in front
    of us then a few hours later it did it again but it wouldnt go off this time so in fear of damaging the engine i got a guy to tow us out of the woods now i took the cap off and it was under pressur but the coolant was warm this was right after i noticed it over heated again so then i pulled the thermostat hoising off and took the thermostat out and there was no coolant coming out of the head and the over flow jug was full
    did the water pump take a dump on me or.am.i missing something else
    Keep in mind that the temperature light always comes on when you have the ignition switch is in the run position and the engine is not actually running. This is a test of the idiot light and it's circuitry. Might this be related to your symptoms?
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

right but shouldnt i had coolant behind the thermostat

While taking the housing loose the level behind the thermostat will leak down. Also if it is over heating the cooling fan will be called to run and will not turn off until temp is low enough.
    06 Rhino 686 s/e blue, 11:1 piston, stage 1 hot cam, raptor springs, JBS sheave and clutching, cmf 2" lift, alum air box, exhaust tip, dial a jet, j strong roof, ride on dust shield, power steering, Stage 5 Elka's riding on 28" 11 14 mega mayhems all around on sti hd3 wheels, hp cooling fan, 3500# winch, 32" led light bar and stuff!

what if when you have the thermostat out and the motor runnig shouldnt the water pump move water out the thermostat hole in the head