Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

E85 tuning is anyone doing it on UTV's ?

I have a question,

but first some back ground.

When the 700 first came out in the Raptor I played with fuels. I put one of mine on methanol and did extensive testing with it. I was never able to make more than 2 hp with it over race fuel. It was not worth the work IMO. but I stumbled on something while on the dyno. while the bike was "cleaning" out the purge (when using methanol you clean out the methanol with gas, because methanol is very corrosive) we made 6 hp to the rear tires on a methanol gas blend. Which then gave me the idea to try E85 since that is already 85% ethanol and 15% gas. Well the results were great, we averaged 5 rwhp on every run. The bike seemed to respond very good to the switch.

The engine was a 770 stroker with a JE 13:1 piston. But if I remember correctly between the overlap and altitude (5280) put it @ 11.5:1 range it had velocity port work on the head and custom ground cam. It also had duel barker exhaust. This engine ran neck and neck with an 804 build

The Yamaha Fuel pump was able to keep up with the demand, heck it was able to keep up with the methanol demand. I ran the bike for 2 years before selling and had no problems with the fuel pump.

Much like methanol I also noticed lower operating temperatures. Not quite as low as methanol but 5-15 degree drop over gas. At altitude that is extremely beneficial due to the lower boiling point.

So here is my question. Has this fuel been tried on the UTV'S ? I see a lot of people say they don't want to use race fuel when doing new engine builds, I always think well then switch to E85 (E85 has a minimum octane rating of at least 100). It is a high octane fuel that is at a decent price. I wounder how it would do on a CVT platform with heavy tires. The reason I say this, is my only experience (In the recreational ATV/UTV world) is with ATVs with a standard transmission and extremely low rotational mass.

It does have some draw backs. Like methanol it does dry out rubber so fuel lines can dry out early and o-rings on the injectors can also dry out. It can also be corrosive to aluminum when not used for a period of time. But these problems can be solved with plastic fuel lines and purging of the fuel system when not in use for extended periods of time.

I just had those questions. If no testing has been done on the UTV side I would be willing to share my info if someone wanted it. I just wanted to start a discussion.

Also as a disclaimer dont go and just put E85 in your ride with out talking to someone. It will lean out and it will pop without the proper tune/parts. I have run E85 in every Yamaha I have ever owned. In cars and trucks, carburetor and fuel injection. I know a lot about the fuel. I am not trying to brag, I just want someone to ask before they just dump it in or believe any myths.

2. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    You burn a good bit more of it right? It has significantly less energy per volume right? I guess that's what you were touching on when you said the stock fuel pump could keep up with it?
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

No way in hell id put that in my machine. I dont even like using the 10% stuff.

5. Likes 08Rhino450SE liked this post
    my Tundra gets 3 more mpg on non ethanol fuel but it costs 20 cents per gallon more

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by rodneygt View Post
    You burn a good bit more of it right? It has significantly less energy per volume right? I guess that's what you were touching on when you said the stock fuel pump could keep up with it?
    It does use more, about 40% more depending. But the more fuel you shove down an engine the more power the bigger the bang so to speak. That's what methanol aka alcohol and nitromethane produce so much power. Ethanol is able to make some of the same gains (not as extreme as nitromethane). So when I say the stock fuel pump can keep up I'm talking about the 40% extra demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    my Tundra gets 3 more mpg on non ethanol fuel but it costs 20 cents per gallon more
    Yes it does use a bit more fuel but at $1.70 per gallon here and 40% more usage that equals price per gallon of $2.38 compared to $7.80 a gallon of vp 101. That makes it worth it on a higher compression engine.

Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyStyle View Post
    No way in hell id put that in my machine. I dont even like using the 10% stuff.
    Why is that?

Because it absorbs moisture and water In engines are not a good combination.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

More Information: -*Ethanol*gasoline is hygroscopic (will*absorb water) and can*absorb*50 times more*water*than conventional non-alcohol gasoline. - Phase separation occurs in E10 gas, when only 0.5%*water*or 3.8 teaspoonswater*per gallon of fuel is*absorbed.

12. Likes 08Rhino450SE liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by HillbillyStyle View Post
    More Information: -*Ethanol*gasoline is hygroscopic (will*absorb water) and can*absorb*50 times more*water*than conventional non-alcohol gasoline. - Phase separation occurs in E10 gas, when only 0.5%*water*or 3.8 teaspoonswater*per gallon of fuel is*absorbed.

Yes that is the reason for a purge system when not in use for extended periods of time. That and it drys out rubber. But if you are running the fuel, 3.8 teaspoons of water in 1 gallon of fuel is nothing. I would be willing to guarantee you get that amount of contamination at most gas stations with gasoline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast