Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

What gas to use?

I have been running 93 octane since I bought my Viking. Is there any Benefit to running 93 octane or is 87 just as good? I have seen comments both ways so I thought I would ask the experts here. Also, is there any benefit to fuel treatments and if so what kind? Thanks for the help!

A higher octane fuel better resists preignition/knocking/pinging etc. I would suggest trying a lower octane and see if you get any knocking or pinging, if you don't then there is little benefit in running higher octane fuel. I have always run 87 octane and never saw an issue. My engine is stock, it is the guys with high compression that need the higher octane. If you run a top tier high detergent gasoline, you should not need any fuel treatments. If I am not going to run the fuel out in a short period of time (a month or so) I will add a stabilizer, I like that Startron additive. I also a carb and injector cleaner every once in awhile. I have a carbureted Rhino, they are known for getting gummed up with old fuel, I figure the cleaner is an ounce of prevention more than anything. I have never noticed a difference running the additives so I can't say for sure they are worth it.
    2007 660 JBS sheave, and MSD Charge

3. Thanks DC9781 thanked for this post
    I would say that is a good statement. I run 93 only but here if I get 93 then I get ethanol free I know with fuel injection I may not really need it . All my saws weed eaters log splitter exc gets AV gas because I don't like digging in to the carb every time it sits for 6-8 months

5. Thanks DC9781 thanked for this post
    I run 93 non E. Would run 87 non E but we can't get it round here. But part of the year it gets 50% race and 50% 93 non E some that's what I run on the sleds.

if you're fine running ethanol, and you don't have many motor mods, 87 would be just ducky.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

i run 93 only
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

8. Likes Timmi liked this post
    Same here I only run 93 but its the 10% ethanol, this past Friday i was able to fill the Wolvy up and a few gas jugs with 93 non ethanol just because i was down JBS's way and they have a station in Beckley that sells it.

The misconception is that higher octane has more energy or power but it does not. As mentioned below higher octane just means it will help prevent pre detonation (pinging)....or basically it is harder to ignite. If the engine runs fine on 87 octane it will not run any better on 93 octane or have any additional power. The only advantage is that higher octane can allow for higher compression ratios and advanced ignition timing which can provide extra power. If the owner's manual and manufacturer recommend 87 octane I will guarantee that the engine does not run any better on 93 octane.

With that said I don't think it is any big deal if people want to run 93 octane.......their money, their machine, their choice......and in the grand scheme of things it's not a whole lot of extra money.

11. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post