Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    To kick your OCD into overdrive. Are you running the speaker wires through the ROPS or have you thought about doing it if you haven't? I ran my speaker wires that was using a coat hanger to fish the wires through. I am not using the SSV system so all I had to worry about were wires and no plugs
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

To answer your question about hiding the wires... I was in a hurry to get this done. I will be revisiting the wiring again at a later time. If it CAN happen, it WILL happen. I do not like how the wires look if you can see them at all. On my Viking and Rhino, you can't even tell how the wires get to anything. With the SSV I would have to take a lot of connectors apart and hope that I could use the cover on the wires... But I have another wave of electrical that I am planning to do with it, so it will be fine for now.

I probably spend the better part of 2 days hiding wires in my Viking VI. I used weed whacker line and a dog tag chain to pull everything. But had to play around to make harnesses for everything and figure a way to get it through a grommet and into the location that I needed. Now on the Viking, I need to rerun a couple wires/cables for my Bazooka (need to go from 12ga to 10ga on the power wires, and also want to run the auxiliary cord from my 2-way up to the sound bar so that you can hear it over the roar of the engine better.

While I had the majority of the machine apart, I have been identifying even the facotry wiring that needs a couple of touches. Also was investigating a path for some future projects. I don't like to have to redo wiring projects, so I take my time thinking them through. The goal is always to make the machine look like it came with everything installed. And I claim to be dumb when it comes to electrical...
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Build Continues

Got some more stuff installed, and haven't keep this up to date.

Yamaha OEM Poly Windshield. Installation is straight forward. Only noteable items are: must insert the bottom of the windshield first then swing the top into place meeting up with the Sun Top. This was pleasant and doesn't seem to need more feedback on my part. The instructions state not to tow with the windshield in place, but it seems it had a lot more support than some of the other windshield. You can take the windshield off the front and mount to the rear of the cage, but Yamaha says not to do this if you are going to exceed 15MPH.

Seizmek Side mirrors. Installation had to wait until I had the windshield to find where the clamps were going to go. Once the location was noted, the windshield had to be pulled back to place the clamps around the cage, but after those mirror clamps were placed, the windshield could be reinstalled.

Amazon was the source to purchase some additional hand holds for the cage and I also bought a Seizmek Rigid Hand hold to extend the rear hand hold for my daughter to be able to reach in the rear from her seat. These installations were very easy and don't require any further information. I will say that the Seizmek hand hold works perfect for the purpose that I am using it and fits the rear hand hold area (behind the front seats) well.

I am still waiting the installation of:
    -Waterproof Mobile Dual Band 2-way Radio
    -JBS HotRod Extreme Sheave (with OD Weights)
    -JBS Suspension Spring Upgrade Kit

Stuff that I am still working out the details of what to buy and how to install are:
    -Team Concours Switch Panel
    -Laser Rocker Switches for accessories
    -Team Concours Waterproof Relay/Fuse Block
    -Front Bumper
    -Rear Bumper
    -"Fog" Lights for in the front bumper
    -"Back Up" Lights for in the rear bumper
    -50-52" Lightbar for the top (with mounting solution that fits my wants)
    -Rock Lights for under the front fenders (not accent lights)
    -Interior Lights
    -LED Whips (this is one of my wife's demands)
    -Secondary Battery Kit

Once I have everything figured out with the new machine, it is going to be sweet. I had wanted to build a dedicated trail machine that meets my family's needs and provides years of fun.
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Yamaha OEM Soft Rear Window

Installation of the Yamaha OEM Soft Rear Window, should be pretty straight forward. But you have to drill your rear fenders to install 2 snaps, and drill your tailgate or rear cargo box for the center hold downs.

I highly recommend the use of painter's tape to measure (4-5 times before you drill once), mark, and drill for the installation locations. Once you have the holes drilled, Yamaha supplied some goofy rivets that you have to be very careful when you install them into the body because they are so soft and expand into three "ears".

The straps diagram isn't super clear, and requires that you pull the cargo box if you have that installed to get at the lower anchor point. A little adjusting and retightening and everything should be good with those.

Yamaha says that you cannot trailer with the rear window installed, so you would want to roll it up and secure it with the included straps/snaps.

I haven't had a chance to drive with the rear window installed on this yet, but I can say that it keeps the rain water off the top of the cargo box nicely. Without the rear window in place, rain water pools on the top of the cargo box lid. With the water pooled on the top of the lid, when you open the box, most of the water flows into the contents of the cargo box.

Yamaha Adventure Pro Installation

The installation of the Adventure Pro on the '18 Wolverine X4 requires the use of a "Magellan Universal Accessory Wiring Kit" which is basically a jumper wire from the included wiring harness to the ECM Diagnostic port (providing the vehicle data) and to switched power. The installation instructions included with the kit are not the most clear that I have seen from Yamaha, but completely doable. Once I received the "Accessory Wiring Kit", I noted that the harness was physically different from the included instructions. This is not unusual for Yamaha to have instructions differ from what the actual product is, but to me the "Accessory Wiring Kit" looked like it was built backward.

I went ahead and plugged everything up the only way that it would plug in, and connected power at one of the 5 switched power plugs behind the firewall in front of the steering wheel. When I turned the key on, I noted that the power did not turn on to the Adventure Pro, so I started the machine. It only ran for maybe a second and shut itself down. I shut the key off, then back on and noticed that the voltage was only showing 10.0V, so I hooked up my battery tender. I turned the machine back on and the voltage was still showing only 10.0V, so I checked the battery and it showed 12.65V. I attempted to start the machine again, but again it shut down after a second. I noticed the check engine light on, and a code "60" displayed on the dash. At this point, I unplugged the harness and began to check fuses. It was noted that the 20A accessory fuse for the switched power was blown. I replaced that and called Yamaha.

Yamaha had me send them a bunch of pictures and it turns out that I was the first person (dealers included) to contact them for the issue with the wiring kit. Turns out that the wiring kit was indeed built backward, and Yamaha issued a nation wide recall of that part. They claim they will make it right with me.

Also, I couldn't get the machine to run for more than a second and we (Yamaha Tech and I) were concerned that the ECM had been fried by their plug and play wiring kit. I had to take the machine back 80 miles one way to the dealer for them to work with Yamaha Tech more to determine that a fuse labeled "backup" (7.5A) was also blown. Once that was replaced, the machine would start and run like normal.

Over the Labor Day weekend, I finally had a chance to run my new X4 and I can say that I am glad that I bought it. It is not perfect for my family yet, but we are making progress. The power was much better than my Viking VI (or Rhino that I am selling), and it was also much more comfortable and quiet. So with a bit more time to figure out all of the accessories that I want and finding out how my family can get the most out of the machine, we will be very happy. Stay tuned as I keep getting this thing build (and I know that I have to catch up on pictures). I hope to have the machine complete by March when my family is set to do a Spring Break Style SxS vacation to the Mena, AK area for the 3rd year.

Had to fix the roof rubber insulator things tonight. After the first ride I had a couple of the little pads pop out of the clamps. This also meant that I had to pull my SSV Works speakers down to address the roof clamps. I went and got some sticky heavy window foam, cut small pieces to go on the roof side of the clamp (between the roof and cross bar). Put the insulators back on the clamps and use heat shrink to give a little more to the clamp and hold the rubber on.

While I was tackling that, I also hid some of my wiring for the SSV Works stereo. I pulled the cross bar and drilled it so I could use grommets (1/4”). I had to take the connectors apart, but that was pretty easy. Got her all buttoned back up and I think just that little bit has already made improvements. I will try to add some pictures when it is light out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speaker Wire Hide 1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	13303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire Hide 2.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	13304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire Hide 3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	13305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wire Hide 4.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	13306  

8. Likes Timmi liked this post
    Looking good!
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

Random Progress Pictures

Here are a few more random pictures of the progress that I have been able to make on my X4. Still got a lot of figuring to get stuff where I want it and how I want it there. I am not one for making multiple holes trying to figure things out.

One of my buddies was talking with me and commented that I should just hook up to the factory plugs under the dash. I had to explain to him what my plans were, and he couldn't believe that I had the list of wants the way that I do. I told him that I may have just bought the machine, but have been building it since April...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Flex 1.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	13307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grab Handle Extension.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	13308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Window 1.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	13309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rear Window Side 1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	13310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Red Handle 1.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	13311  

I am trying to figure out how to hide the main wiring harness for the SSV Works Speaker Pods. There is a fair bit of thicker wire and a number of spots where I can't just fish once, but would have to fish multiple times. Once I figure that out, the speakers will be completely factory looking.

This stuff really is fun for me. Last night, I got a text from my wife at 11:15 asking if I was coming to bed. I didn't realize that it was that late, then she gave more crap that I was up bright and early at 4:45...

Waiting for a package from MT Hope to arrive, so that I can tear into the Clutch and Shocks... Hoping to have that stuff for Friday when I am off of work for the first in a couple of weeks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast