Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stator

Stator

Is upgraded stator that is a good one?? The factory one went out on me lastnight. Dont have a bunch of stuff running off of it. And this is on a 09 700.

if your oil is staying black it will kill stators...if it is change the oil every 150 miles till it stays clean...oem will last along time if your wiring is right and you have a quality battery...spend the money on a oddesey 925 and save money in the long run..if you dont have these things it wont last as long....we have them in stock 250 + 10 shipping
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    if your oil is staying black it will kill stators...if it is change the oil every 150 miles till it stays clean...oem will last along time if your wiring is right and you have a quality battery...spend the money on a oddesey 925 and save money in the long run..if you dont have these things it wont last as long....we have them in stock 250 + 10 shipping
    How long will that battery last

I don't always drive a rhino.....but when I do...I go hard...

got ours in jan of 09 and sets outside alot in the cold and still cranks my big motor great
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Do you have the gasket too?

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne1 View Post
    I just had a stator replaced at close to 7000 miles. They asked me what extra electrial things I was running. The only thing constant is the power steering and occasionally the heater. I am planning to add a second battery with an isolater for lights and anything else i need to put on it. My question is will this help the stator ? It went out while riding and when the ps quit and the temp light came on I turned it off and we had to jump it off and drove back to the truck but it finally quit before we made it back. With a second battery hooked up this way would we have been able to run longer or would it have made any difference.
    i don't think it would have made any difference.
    there's only so much power the stator can produce, and the output stays the same all the time the bike's running (it doesn't work any harder to produce power).
    i don't think 7,000 miles is all that bad considering offroad usage.
    x2 on the quality battery.
    from what i've heard longevity is pretty much a crap shoot anyway.
    maybe SteveS will chime in...
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

The stator had already quit. We were able to run about 5 miles on what juice was left in the battery, was just wondering when a second battery is installed with an isolater if we could have gone further. I know a second battery is needed when you have extra lights and stereo's and such just didn't know if it would have an extra advantage in the situation I was in. I also know the power steering requires 12 volts to work, so I assume it would need to stay with the primary battery?
    The extra battery capacity would have helped from the standpoint of being able to run longer. If you have all of the non essential stuff running on the aux battery there very likely would have been enough in the primary battery to get you a lot further. Without the stator charging, a VSR (Voltage Sensing Relay type of separator) would decouple the batteries from each other. If you were not using your aux battery much, it would have been there to jump start the machine. I have a permanently wired in 100 Amp manual switch wired between my aux battery and starter motor, so I can crank the engine over whenever I want to and not deplete the primary battery in a pinch. The SurePower battery separator has a (optional to hook up) terminal which you can apply power to in order to force the batteries to connect together. The idea there is that you can combine the batteries to get you home, in such a pinch. The important thing, when you know that you are not charging the battery, would be to kill all of your non-essential electrical draws in order to conserve what you have. That might be a reason to pull the fuse supplying the power steering in the event of a loss of charging, assuming that the added drag from the motor and gears does not make it impractical to steer.

You would want to have your electric power steering hooked up to your aux battery as that is a power hog. Same goes for bright lights and loud stereos. Above all, using a winch really drains a battery.

I do believe that stator failure is a luck of the draw thing. It is probably more of an engine heat build up thing rather than an electrical overload in the stator. Maybe both things together is the killer?
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

8. Likes madmax 1 liked this post
    Thanks Steve, now on the power steering being hooked up to the aux battery along with other items could this not pull that battery down below 12 volts which cuts off the steering at that point. I only know enough about electrial to try and stay away from it. I will also use a fuse block when I do all this as my wiring now looks like a Tennessee road map. And like you I think it could have been a random thing as like James said I keep my oil changed and clean.
    As long as you are charging both batteries while the engine is running (using a battery separator), it would be no different than what would happen with the primary battery being the power source for the power steering. If you overtax the charging system, it is just a matter of time before the battery/batteries are depleted. The bigger the battery, the longer it takes to deplete it.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

I have done the Stator thing on a 2009 Rhino. The OEM replacements are better then the original. Had no problems in a while.
    But I did get rid of that lawn mower battery mainly because of my winch. I opted for just a bigger battery under the drivers seat. Here is a picture right after I installed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-24_05-49-49_502_resized.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	1622  

Any preference on the brand of stator (OEM vs RM or Ricks). James or someone im sure can answer this?
    2009 734 sport, 11:1 CP piston, Rhino Stage 2, Purple, Slugged, MSD 3D, AEM A/F, Oil and water guage, on 26" Silverbacks, ITP SS112 14" wheels, Bandlands #3500 winch, A-Arm Guards, Reverse wheel upgrade in trans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast