Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian lee Rhino450 View Post
    i cant either. but i have read several times that it wont. mayb steveS can chime in
    I have an '04 660 and I had installed a tach out of a Polaris snowmobile way back when. These work by sensing the output of the alternator (stator). Since the stock alternator is direct drive on the crankshaft, it is always in synch with the engine rpm. It has to be a '6 pulse' flavor of Polaris tach0meter, as that is the number of coils per phase on the Rhino stator. I got mine off of Ebay way back when. This scheme should work equally well with the 700 as the stator setup is electrically the same as the 660.

As far as using a standard ignition sensing tach with the 700, the problem probably lies with the really weird implementation in the 700 ECU. The coil is supplied with a constant ignition hot 12V feed and the 'ground' side of the ignition coil is taken into the ECU where it is switched to ground when a spark is needed. This makes the signal outside of the ECU very unusual, not being the normal sharp positive spikes that a normal tach responds to. I have a scheme in mind to try out someday, but have no 700 to experiment on (read 'bugger up').
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Steve, quick question i have an 09 450 with a glowshift tach. i tapped into the orange wire off my coil and i have never got my rpm above 3,000 it bounced around alot when i first installed it but i got an inline filter from them. now its all smooth. do u think if i tapped into the ecu like i have been reading others do that it will work properly.

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!
    09 700 sport
    aftermarket cam, duel muzzy exhaust, alba custom map, MSD fuel controller, alba water temp and oil press gauges, SDR LT6, SDR 4seat custom cage and bed, rigid industries 40in. and 10in. light bars, led head and taillights, fox remote resi shocks, DWT beadlock wheels, twisted stitch seats front and back, crow 4pt harness front and back, super atv power steering, quick release steering wheel. ruggid radios incar communication and car to car com, JBS EXTREME2 sheave on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Brian lee Rhino450 View Post
    Steve, quick question i have an 09 450 with a glowshift tach. i tapped into the orange wire off my coil and i have never got my rpm above 3,000 it bounced around alot when i first installed it but i got an inline filter from them. now its all smooth. do u think if i tapped into the ecu like i have been reading others do that it will work properly...........
    With a 450, I don't think that you have an ECU. The 450 & 660 were both carbureted engines with CDI ignition. So, I believe the short answer is no. If it is working with the filter, why not leave well enough alone? If it only goes to 3000 RPM, you probably need to set the number of cylinders to 2. The tach instructions should tell you how to do that.

If the 450 is like the 660, it has a "lost spark" ignition (no distributor and the spark pickup is on the crank). The spark plug fires once for every revolution of the engine (a 4 stroke needs a spark at a given cylinder every other revolution) so it looks like a 2 cylinder engine to a spark sensing tachometer. If the tach is set to 4 cylinder, it will read half speed. If 6 cylinder it will read 1/3 speed, and so forth.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

"Glowshift tach and Extreme Offroad steering wheel installed. For pickup on tach I t-tapped into orange wire on center Cdi plug. I had read that that was the correct place and that is how Black Rhino tachs are hooked up. Tach is working as designed. I used setting # 2. Idles at 1500 and exceeded 8000 at WOT. "

This is worked perfect first try.
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

thanks Steve& Big

sent thru smoke signals directly out the top of my teepee!!!
    09 700 sport
    aftermarket cam, duel muzzy exhaust, alba custom map, MSD fuel controller, alba water temp and oil press gauges, SDR LT6, SDR 4seat custom cage and bed, rigid industries 40in. and 10in. light bars, led head and taillights, fox remote resi shocks, DWT beadlock wheels, twisted stitch seats front and back, crow 4pt harness front and back, super atv power steering, quick release steering wheel. ruggid radios incar communication and car to car com, JBS EXTREME2 sheave on the way

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456