Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    i seen yours eat a belt...i know what causes it
    Ain't that the truth

But, not anymore.

4. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    share your secrets with hotrodforums lol

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    share your secrets with hotrodforums lol
    OK. I think belt failure is directly related heat from friction during operation and heat sink during trail breaks. The back of the drive clutch acts as a radial fan sized by Polaris to provide cooling over a broad range of operating conditions. Given a designed cooling system impedence(resistance to air flow from friction) this fan will deliver a specific volume of air increasing and decreasing with engine speed. Obviously, for manufacturing simplicity's sake, the design volume and pressure the fan can put out isn't always enough for the flogging we give our RZRs. That's why you're encouraged to use low range at slower speeds(rock crawling, tight trails with on/off throttle riding, etc.) to keep fan rpm(and air flow) up through the clutch cover. If you increase impedence by reducing duct size and/or increasing inlet/outlet duct length(snorkling) you decrease the fan's ability to provide the same design flow.

I've been running a marine bilge blower for quite a while to add fresh air to the outboard side of the drive clutch. Benefitted the clutch but not the engine air filter. Recently reducted it to the inlet boot and deleted the factory duct.

Won't help sell many snorkle kits, you big dummy! Love you. Mean it.

Alba Racing now sales a temperature gauge and sending unit just for the CVT........

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by finzup View Post
    OK. I think belt failure is directly related heat from friction during operation and heat sink during trail breaks. The back of the drive clutch acts as a radial fan sized by Polaris to provide cooling over a broad range of operating conditions. Given a designed cooling system impedence(resistance to air flow from friction) this fan will deliver a specific volume of air increasing and decreasing with engine speed. Obviously, for manufacturing simplicity's sake, the design volume and pressure the fan can put out isn't always enough for the flogging we give our RZRs. That's why you're encouraged to use low range at slower speeds(rock crawling, tight trails with on/off throttle riding, etc.) to keep fan rpm(and air flow) up through the clutch cover. If you increase impedence by reducing duct size and/or increasing inlet/outlet duct length(snorkling) you decrease the fan's ability to provide the same design flow.

I've been running a marine bilge blower for quite a while to add fresh air to the outboard side of the drive clutch. Benefitted the clutch but not the engine air filter. Recently reducted it to the inlet boot and deleted the factory duct.
    have you monitored engine temperatures? what kind of range are we looking at?
    when you say it didn't benefit the engine air filter, what did you mean?
    also, if you increase the velocity of the air (by reducing the size of the duct) wouldn't you also increase cooling ability (more cool, fresh air)?
    sorry, you've piqued my curiosity...
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

I think He was saying that when He first hooked it up it was connected to the exhaust outlet of the CVT which pulled air through the clutches but did not do anything for the motor. Since then He has moved it to blow in towards the CVT inlet and the air inlet for the motor. If I'm understanding correctly. I had a system similar to this on my Rhino.

i dont sell snorkels...lol..you dont wanna go smaller that would restrict it for sure...water getting in is the biggest problem ive seen on multiple rzrs since 08..the right clutch kit and a dry system is the most important on the belt life..this is why i wanted a multi brand forum so i could share what ive learned and discuss it..sheave faces that are not perfect,rusty parts,leaking stock snorkel,redistricted snorkels and early shiftout breaks belts...

it blows only in the cvt if i remember right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast