Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I added a 3" nozzle on top of the clutch cover(above the drive clutch) so that the blower was adding cold air directly on the belt. I didn't find out untill later that the blower was pressurizing the clutch cover to the extent that unfiltered air was forced from the fresh air plenum into the engine air filter canister (I have a secondary filter on the plenum between the seats).

Any specific radial fan can only produce a volume that is associated with its rpm, air temp, density and system pressure(impedence). Volume is what we need to cool the clutch. Adding the blower increased volumetric capacity. And, yes, velocity increased but only because of the blowers pressure capability.

Quote Originally Posted by finzup View Post
    I added a 3" nozzle on top of the clutch cover(above the drive clutch) so that the blower was adding cold air directly on the belt. I didn't find out untill later that the blower was pressurizing the clutch cover to the extent that unfiltered air was forced from the fresh air plenum into the engine air filter canister (I have a secondary filter on the plenum between the seats).

Any specific radial fan can only produce a volume that is associated with its rpm, air temp, density and system pressure(impedence). Volume is what we need to cool the clutch. Adding the blower increased volumetric capacity. And, yes, velocity increased but only because of the blowers pressure capability.
    how does a man from Wva. talk like that??? English please?

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by finzup View Post

i just don't know that much about how they are designed. is the clutch creating that much heat or is it ambient engine heat?
    talking theory is fun, but my limited knowledge about the application is stifling my thought process.
    either that or the 7 crown lol
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by 08Rhino450SE View Post
    i just don't know that much about how they are designed. is the clutch creating that much heat or is it ambient engine heat?
    talking theory is fun, but my limited knowledge about the application is stifling my thought process.
    either that or the 7 crown lol
    The RZRs Constantly Variable Transmission(CVT) depends on a belt sliding up(and down) the drive and driven sheave faces for speed change. Sudden acceleration, rock crawling, on/off throttle application, and getting stuck(with no wheel spin) cause belt slip that produces additional heat stress. All of us that ride hard contribute to these causes. Don't dead stop launch, don't crawl in "high" range and "when in doubt-winch it out" will make our belts live longer. Skyy and ginger speaking.

the same belt slides up and down the same drive and driven sheave face in a rhino.
    i'm not being sarcastic, but what is the difference and why does the rzr produce more heat, or more appropriately, why is it an issue in the rzr and not the rhino?
    is it the power?
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

I thought you guys had a wet clutch. Don't know. Ask HotRod.

Correct. The Rhino has a wet clutch that handles any slippage. A Polaris does NOT have a wet clutch so the belt has to slip or You break something. Pros and cons on both....

If I remember correctly, at idle the wet clutch disengages the CVT on a Rhino but the belt is still in full contact with both sheaves. On the Polaris, one of the two sheaves spread apart to the point the belt does not touch the sheave...Hope this makes sense....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
    Correct. The Rhino has a wet clutch that handles any slippage. A Polaris does NOT have a wet clutch so the belt has to slip or You break something. Pros and cons on both....

If I remember correctly, at idle the wet clutch disengages the CVT on a Rhino but the belt is still in full contact with both sheaves. On the Polaris, one of the two sheaves spread apart to the point the belt does not touch the sheave...Hope this makes sense....
    thanks, larry. that helps me understand better.
    i have looked at all the pieces that go together to make up the drive system on rzrs, and there's a lot of them. i think, however, that there is a correlation between how much heat the engine makes and how hot all those clutch pieces get. transfer of heat is an age old problem in any drive system.
    most of the guys i ride with have rzrs and we talk about the design differences all the time. i always ask more questions, maybe i look too deeply into things.

a Polaris has to slip so it dont move

I had 2500 miles on my S when I sold it. It still had the factory belt on it in good condition. I used low up every steep climb, through the woods where speeds were below 10mph. I never got on it hard until I felt the belt fully engage. Also, never did any deep mud if I could help it, and I know I never took enough water to get my belt to even slip. I never sprayed water toward the intake like the manual said. I had alot of mud caked up under the bed to prove it. I never smoked my belt, ever, because of how I used low alot like the manual says. Pissed alot of people off, and even got hit in the ass a few times stopping to change gears. Took the cover off a few times to check everything and found a lot of dust and some dried up mud in there. If a person done more deep water crossings, mudholes, and sprayed water up under the bed more than I did, it may not hurt to do something with that intake location. That intake is in a place that water, dust, and mud can get to easier than a person can get to, or even see. I always wanted to do something with mine to keep dust out of the cvt and the engine because I was getting sick of cleaning out everything every month, and buying those expensive paper air filters and having to grease the airbox lid.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast