Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Looks like I won't be selling these lights. I received a call today from a co that says they hold the patent in the tech that lets the led change color. So I am not going to be selling these unless I find out other wise.

The person that called me about the lights had seen them on here and my Facebook page.
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

bummer that sucks. hopefully they weren't to pissy
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

Quote Originally Posted by flimmy View Post
    Looks like I won't be selling these lights. I received a call today from a co that says they hold the patent in the tech that lets the led change color. So I am not going to be selling these unless I find out other wise.

The person that called me about the lights had seen them on here and my Facebook page.
    Did they give you a patent number such that you could verify their claims? There are patent trolls out there that manage to get unenforceable patents just in the hope of raking in money on royalties.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

I don't see how they patent it when every where you look on eBay there are thousands of color changing LEDs? I had a set on my motorcycle isn't this the same technology? Scott do they make just amber LEDs?

I googled the phone number that they called me from and it came up to a co that sells led light bars. They also said they sent me a cease and desist letter from there lawyer. I'll see if I get that letter abd if it has the number on it.

If I don't get the letter and can not verify shaft I was told I the phone I may start selling them. Hell I didn't even get to sell any before the call.
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

You have a legal right to the patent number to verify their story. Else, anyone could put everyone else out of business with a phony claim. I would be very suspicious if they do not give it to you as a matter of course in their messages. If not , demand it. You need to know exactly what the patent is about and you can read the whole thing at the US patent office website, given the number. You might want to check with your source on the lights, as they (or their ultimate supplier) are the ones that the legalities apply to.

If it is "patent pending", they cannot do anything about it, other than notification, until the actual patent is granted. Then, they can take retroactive legal action. Up until the grant of the patent, it is under review by the patent examiner(s) to evaluate whether it is indeed patentable, etc. You probably could apply for a patent on the wheel, and you could call it "patent pending" until they reject it :-)
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Scott this is what sounds fishey to me, why would they contact you? You are the distributer not the producer. They should contact the person producing the light if there is any patent pending. Right? You cant stop production.

I am going to do some research before just giving in. But I pulled the prices and will hold off on any sales until I know for sure whats going on.
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

9. Likes SteveS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by flimmy View Post
    I am going to do some research before just giving in. But I pulled the prices and will hold off on any sales until I know for sure whats going on.
    Good plan.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    i'm not a lawyer but it seems to me that you would have to be notified in a more legal manner than a phone call if what they say is true.

cease and desist letters are commonly snail-mailed, but when there is a lot of money involved they will send it certified mail with a signature required.

i think the guy is blowing smoke, but time will tell.
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast