Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vendor Baxter Built Fabrications's Avatar

Rhino diff support/mount!!! republish for new site finally!

Sorry,I've directed traffic to a few other sites I have this posted on because my original left with the old site.I'm finally going to go a little more into detail here.I want to add a 2D drawing later to better show why the 660 chassis has such a hard time keeping the diff in place.I'm working on a mount that goes a little further into the chassis for the guys that have absolutely destroyed the horizontal tubes.To the guys I've shipped my jig to for relocating the diff,thanks very much for being good people and getting it sent back.It means a lot considering it's my only one.At this time I only have 1 but will be making more.I'll be charging a deposit for you using it but when it returns I'll reimburse in full.If I don't get it back you loose your deposit.I gambled a few times because they just didn't have the money but I'm sorry sooner or later that will bite me.I need to get several made and make a few changes for easier use.
    I personally do not like the diff supports on the market.Reason being they are attached to a different plane in the chassis and with a little chassis deflection I have seen them break the boss's off the diff and they don't fix the original problem.I call it a band aid.However they are bolt on and mine requires welding.If you don't have a welder I would suggest prepping the mount,getting everything ready and set into place.If you find a reputable welder he will not hose you for 4 small welds!
    I've fixed these chassis in all stages from mildly cracked to completely trashed and diff no longer attached to chassis with a bent drive shaft because of it.On that specific machine the tires were factory size and no motor mods.Every manufacturer screws up from time to time.I'm not sure Yamaha knew how big the can of worms was they were opening when they designed the Rhino.I feel they took care of the problems as they came in but the diff mount fatiguing and falling apart happens over time.I've been a big fan of Yamaha since I was a kid and I can tell you they build some durable products for a "RAMROD".lol
    With anything, my diff mounts are easier to install as preventative measures rather than "it's broke and now I need it." 99% of my calls are broke though and I've not had any complaints.If I did I'd be fixing the issues.In the first group of pics you see the Rhino I finally decided to make this a production mount.The mounts on this one looks different than I make now but very close.This is when I made my jig as well.It was to far gone to just bolt them in and weld.Lone Star told me you have less than a 3/16" tollerance on the plunge joint before you have problems.Sounds like a lot untill you figure angles if the diff isn't straight.

You can see where they welded it once already.

Here is the jig I mocked off a good Rhino

On my kit you will need to drill your diff mounting holes to 7/16.Bolts are supplied in the kit.I couldn't find a metric bolt that small with the right length but as you can see in the pic the diff swinging like a pendulum has wore the holes past 7/16 on the outsides of the hole.You'll find you'll only be removing material from the middle 1" of the diff in most circumstances. Both pics below are before I drilled it.First pic is the metric factory bolt and second is the 7/16 replacement.

Now onto the mounts.On the right side mount I went down to that boss that most diff supports go to for extra support.The fix for the 660 chassis is in the bridge across the top.That get's rid of the twisting put on the horizontal tubes that rips the mounts off.The 700 models are already built this way.My mounts are overkill in comparison by why do what's needed when you can assure you won't have a problem ever again.
    08 Resurrected Rhino build and your custom SXS fabrication shop @ Baxter Built Fabrications. Give me a call at 419-953-8509 if you have any questions.

2. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    The horizontal tube had a big hole tore in it and wasn't savable on this one.

08 Resurrected Rhino build and your custom SXS fabrication shop @ Baxter Built Fabrications. Give me a call at 419-953-8509 if you have any questions.

I'm going to try to explain this as best as I can with my corny drawing I drew up in 2D.
    Area 3 is the motion in which the diff moves on acceleration and deceleration with the given torque and weight load.I didn't label the diff tabs but I think you can make them out in the drawing.When I say the diff acts as a pendulum"of a grande father clock" you can see the reason why in the drawing.Zone 3's motion makes zone 1 and 2 go in the same motion along the arc until the horizontal tube or tabs fatigue and fail.This is why I say the only way to keep this from happening is to bridge the 2 mounts like I did in blue with zone 4.The bolt in tab that catches the bottom of the diff is a band aid because it's only giving it a 3rd arc to pivot off of.If you don't bridge them the forces are just moving.It will help don't get me wrong but it's still prying on the front mount.I wish I had pics of the very first one I did but it had the rear diff tab that everyone sells and it broke the front horizontal tube and then broke the boss off the rear diff.I'm not trying to play salesman I'm just trying to explain why there is a problem.The 700 chassis was fixed in this same way I did my kit for the 660.It's way thinner than my kit for the 660 chassis but it gets the job done.I will be stiffening my 700 before I'm done modding the chassis.I hope this helps explain the problem better than I can explain it on the phone.I hope to have some more recent pics of the kit to come posted soon.If this doesn't quite explain it ask questions and I'll try to explain it better.

Don't pay attention to my number of what video it is. I didn't do any editing but watching them in the order I have them posted will get the job done. Any questions, don't hesitate to call me at
    419-953-8509.

https://youtu.be/YwEPrep6hGw

https://youtu.be/iDxDZZdUtfM

https://youtu.be/eQjvGkgIg4E

https://youtu.be/C83pji2qos8

https://youtu.be/uJlcc5a9Q0Q

Nice work

Banned
    nice work Baxter!

Bullit proof well thought out,good work.
    2008 700 sport, JBS sheave OD weights,purple spring,MSD,floor guards,sat radio,RydeOn cover,Aluminum stick guards,JBS radiator guards,JBS skid rear,30`and 10`
    Trailbright LED`s,K&N,rear window,2`lift,RZR seats...
    http://hotrodforums.net/forums/image...ine=1422123669tons of other stuff...

9. Likes Baxter Built Fabrications liked this post
    lookin good
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Thanks for working to fix this problem.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

12. Likes Baxter Built Fabrications liked this post
    I'm working on making a complete drop in mount with the horizontal tube and all.It will require my jig to place it but I've shipped it all in pieces enough I think I can simplify the whole thing and not add a bunch in cost and insure you get back to that bullet proof ride.I have a super clean 07 with no mount issues yet, that I'm going to mach it off of.He wants the kit before he has problems and is willing to let me cut the horizontal tubes out to insure the kit is right.I'd like to have it in the shop in the next 2 to 3 weeks.This will drop in as 1 piece and weld in with the possibility of being bolt in for the guys that can't seem to track a competent welder down.No promises on the last part but I'm trying and I think it's possible as long as I can come up with a way to locate holes so that you can drill from outside in.Pics have been added above on my 2nd post to better explain why your 660 diff mounts failed.

14. Likes Timmi, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast