Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    SteveS- you prob already know this but just in case--next time you kerf the ACM you can use a router with a v-groove bit and make your passes with that. Easy to control with a clamp on straight edge guide bar...use a 60 degree bit for best results unless they make one sharper? Not sure..
    Good point. Once I started though, I was committed on that sheet. It came out just fine after a bit of work with a file to deburr the edges.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by moobster View Post
    The material I use is HDPE (high density polyethylene) It comes in various colours. 1/8" thick is kinda thin for the roof though as the sun will warp it. I used 1/4" for my roof. HDPE is tough and will take a beating. I use 3/8" for skids and 1/2" for the custom doors I make. You can cut it with a jig saw or table saw easily. It requires heat to mold it, I use a torch but a good heat gun would work too. You should be able to find it a Lowes.

The rear mud deflector is 1/4", see what the sun does to it? This is why I folded the 90deg bends on the front and rear of the roof.

Hope this helps
    So moob, are you happy with the 1/4" for the roof, or do you think it would be better to go with 1/2" for more rigidity especially in the hot arizona sun?

I am looking at making a full roof for my rhino with a 4 seater cage. I am planning on having it extend slightly over the edges of the roll cage on the side and inch or so. Seaboard make a 54" wide x 96" sheet so I should be able to make a 1 piece roof. On the front I have not decided if I just want to extend straight forward (the easy way) past the curve at the front of the cage maybe 4 inches or so for some extra shading from the sun, Or if I want to bend/curve the front (the harder way) to follow the cage down for 4-5 inches like the standard plastic hardtop that comes with the 09 700 Sport that I have.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome?
    2017 Teryx 4 800 LE - Stock for now

SOLD:
    2009 Rhino 700 Sport, 4 Seater Cage, 25" Artrax CTX (Bighorn 2.0 clones), MSD, JBS Sheave 18G with Purple spring.

Quote Originally Posted by 09RhinoAZ View Post
    So moob, are you happy with the 1/4" for the roof, or do you think it would be better to go with 1/2" for more rigidity especially in the hot arizona sun?

I am looking at making a full roof for my rhino with a 4 seater cage. I am planning on having it extend slightly over the edges of the roll cage on the side and inch or so. Seaboard make a 54" wide x 96" sheet so I should be able to make a 1 piece roof. On the front I have not decided if I just want to extend straight forward (the easy way) past the curve at the front of the cage maybe 4 inches or so for some extra shading from the sun, Or if I want to bend/curve the front (the harder way) to follow the cage down for 4-5 inches like the standard plastic hardtop that comes with the 09 700 Sport that I have.

All thoughts and ideas are welcome?
    I think 1/4" is lots tough for a roof. HDPE is quite heavy. I have a piece that is 4'x6'x3/4" thick and it's all I can do to lift it.
    The 1/4" does warp a little when unsupported, like the rear mud deflector on mine, but I think you will see that they all do.
    The roof is very solid and is only supported at 4 points. The 90deg bends at the ends really help alot.
    Aluminum is probably easier to form. I had the plastic so I used it. Plastic is way quieter than aluminum, doesn't rattle and plastic comes in a variety of colors.
    What ever material you choose, be a little careful how much you leave hanging over the sides. I bang my cage off of trees alot here and the edges can catch. HDPE is more forgiving than aluminum
    If you decide to use HDPE plastic, let me know, I will help you the best I can from here for bending instructions and what not.

I can't speak on the Arizona sun, only ever been there in the winter for Barrett Jackson, Scotsdale.
    Our temps go to the mid 90's in the summer, only ever seen 100deg a couple times, and the HDPE is fine at those temps.

Hope this helps

4. Thanks 09RhinoAZ thanked for this post
    Likes Kenny G, 09RhinoAZ liked this post
    After the Rally on The Rocks this year I decided I'm not going with a solid roof, maybe a quick release canvas top. I had to use the roof opening twice to get out of the Rhino, lol........
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
    After the Rally on The Rocks this year I decided I'm not going with a solid roof, maybe a quick release canvas top. I had to use the roof opening twice to get out of the Rhino, lol........
    That must have been a tight spot if you had to get out through the top. :-)
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    That must have been a tight spot if you had to get out through the top. :-)
    When you can't keep the little Hot Rod upright and it's laying on its side (x2), popping out the roof area is the easiest way out.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

8. Likes SteveS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
    When you can't keep the little Hot Rod upright and it's laying on its side (x2), popping out the roof area is the easiest way out.
    So you put up with the sunburn in the summer and the sopping wetness during the rainy season, just in case? Actually you make a good point, perhaps a built in 'sideways" ladder mounted in the "rear window" area would be a nifty thing once in a while? I did an end over end, turning into side over side maneuver way back when my '04 was practically new. I recall climbing out of the roof as well.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

We managed to climb out the side using the engine cover once or twice. It sure is a tight fight with 2 full grown guys. Lol

On the ranger it has a tilting winsheld and once you undo the adjustable arms it's like walking out a door
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123