Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    NO 6.8 FOR ME!!!!!! HOLY CRAP is that ammo EXPENSIVE!!! I about fell outta my chair and cracked my head open on my coal stove when I saw those prices.
    Redneck Crazy - 2017 Teryx4 LE , 4" portals , cage chop , arched A arms , 32x10x14 pro armor crawler xg , sti hd beadlocks , winch bumper , 5,000# winch , custom snorkels.

As I posted in another thread about AR's and AK's the piston system in the AK's are what everyone loves because of the dependability, that along with the slop. They now obviously started building AR's with the system but without the slop. I have two Sig 516 Patrols that have the piston. They are just as, or more accurate than a gas operated one. It's just a one click adjustment on the piston between a long rang single shot to a "oh shit the zombies are here mode". The piston models are more expensive though. I am a FFL dealer so the price is not much of an issue for me. As far as which model in the Stag line up, you will have to decide what you want it to come with and what you want to buy later for it. All Of the tiny details are irrelevant if you stick with some of the other guys' posts and get a mil spec and stay with the major brands. This is also just my .02

3. Likes mike, kylonggun liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    yea I would love to shoot one first but I don't know of anyone with one that I could try first. im with ya dusty I don't know if I could shoot one I only ever shot right handed guns.
    Go to your local conservation/hunt club. Ask around someone will be glad to introduce you to one.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    NO 6.8 FOR ME!!!!!! HOLY CRAP is that ammo EXPENSIVE!!! I about fell outta my chair and cracked my head open on my coal stove when I saw those prices.
    First off , you said this was gonna be a shtf piece...I seriously doubt you'll find very many 6.8 laying around after you run out . Secondly , 100 rounds of 556 is substantially lighter than 100 rounds of 6.8...same with the 762 in the ar-10 . With the ar-10 , you will be more apt to find ammo tho . I really like my ar-10 ; but , it will NOT be the one I grab , should the occasion arise , because of the extra weight of the rifle , and components .

As far as "what configuration" to spec your potential piece in....it is really personal preference . I haven't been around the piston type , although , the peeps I've talked to that have , like them and say they're bad-ass . Like Ryan said , go with a 16" 8 twist , NON "pencil" barrel ...stainless , or chromoly ...again , personal preference , I have both ; and , I see no difference between the two as far as accuracy goes . If you go with stainless , that doesn't mean you don't "have to" clean it ...very bad misconception many have ! The stainless WILL rust just as badly as a chromoly barrel ! Most catalogs have at least a dozen pages dedicated to butt stocks , and hand guards...again , personal preference .

Right now , the prices are down close to where they were when I built mine . If you shop around , you can "piece" one together for around $500 ...if you don't go "crazy" accessorizing it . That would be my recommendation , that way if you decide you don't like it , you're not in it too deep and get can your $$ back (and maybe more) .
    08 700 ...

6. Thanks mike thanked for this post
    Likes kylonggun liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234