Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=madmax 1;60801]back when I did mine Steve found me this one works great and only about 50bucks/QUOTE]
    blue sea is the best stuff on the market
    http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syste.../dp/B00BFVHL2I

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

2. Likes madmax 1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bob3663 View Post
    What does this thing do? Is it for a second battery? Thanks

Bob
    Let's say you want to run a second battery because you keep depleting your starting battery and stranding yourself due to the accessories you've added like a radio, light bar, winch etc. You would have several options. You could simply connect two batteries together parallel to increase your amp hours. You deplete both at the same time. You charge both at the same time. Now, you can run your accessories longer but you run the risk of depleting both and stranding yourself.

Or, you could add a manual switch. You're now in control. But you have to be in control.

A third option would be the subject of this thread, a voltage sensing relay. Some call it an isolator or separator - SteveS will distinguish them or the different types from time to time. For these purposes I'm just going to refer to the voltage sensing relay type like in post 1 and the one madmax referred to (which I also have). When you have that little dodad between your two batteries, it causes your stator to keep your starting battery charged so you never get stranded but charges your second battery when your starting battery is full. Of course, you run all of your accessory circuits off of your second battery. I left my factory accessories (headlights and such) on my starting battery.
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

4. Likes madmax 1 liked this post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well said

Hope I bought a big enough battery (930CA 775CCA). I'm pretty sure the Teryx charging system won't be able to completely charge my secondary battery but should be enough to maintain it.
    Using Tapatalk

6. Likes madmax 1 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronh919 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well said
    Hope I bought a big enough battery (930CA 775CCA). I'm pretty sure the Teryx charging system won't be able to completely charge my secondary battery but should be enough to maintain it.
    a good deep cycle battery works, Shuriken, Kinetic, XS

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

I bought a class 24 marine battery.
    Using Tapatalk

you could also do this 60 amp alternator
    07 camo 660,yoshi duals,kms intake,dynatec cdi,jet kit, montana jack f&r winch mount,w/ warn xt40, 27" bighorns,2" lift, cab with summit heater,aux red top optima, 5 bad ass jrt's on board,itp ss 212s, jbs sheave,14 gr. wts,orange spring, 40 " led light bar, autometer guages,equus tach,innovate afm, jensen ms30 ,jbl 6.5s, elka stage 1 shocks, kenwood 2way radio, alpine ktp445u amp, led headlight mod,twisted stitch harnesses,pro1 doors, 60 amp alternator,power steering, pc925 battery

10. Likes Timmi, flimmy liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronh919 View Post
    ............... Hope I bought a big enough battery (930CA 775CCA). I'm pretty sure the Teryx charging system won't be able to completely charge my secondary battery but should be enough to maintain it.
    It is sort of a complicated to describe situation. If your big battery is already fully charged, then any charging system would only be maintaining it. If your large battery is heavily discharged then any adequate charging system will charge it. It is really just a matter of the voltage output presented to the battery , which determines how much current flows into the battery. The current will begin trickling in slowly at slightly above 13 Volts and increases with increasing voltage being supplied. 14 some volts is the highest you ever want to charge with, as the electrolyte (sulfuric acid diluted with water) begins to boil out rather quickly at 15 Volts or so. This is done at times in what is called an "equalizing charge", which forces excess current through a weak cell to sort of rejuvenate it such that it is not dragging down the output of the full bank of cells in the battery.

At any rate, between 13 some volts and 14 some Volts or so, is the normal charging range, slow charge to fast charge, with any battery charger. On these small alternators (called stators around here) that we have, you may have somewhere around 20 to 30 Amps of current capacity. If you are running the engine with all of the accessories off (especially headlights and the like) the battery will indeed be charging, with a discharged very large battery taking a fair number of hours to get fully charged, just like a 25 Amp wall charger. If you are out there with a mess of large lights and a big stereo running, the voltage will be dragged down because of the current draw. If it is drawn down to the 13 Volt or less range the battery will not be charging. However, a small battery would not be charging either, so it is a lost cause either way until you turn your lights off.

You can certainly run a deficit by running the battery down, as you will be drawing current out of the battery if you are demanding more current than the alternator can deliver. This is where a large battery gives you more breathing room, as it has more current available to draw down. Again, the flip side is that will take longer to charge back up.

This is where a dual battery setup can save you a cold night spent out in the dark. Having all those accessory draws on your isolated auxiliary battery allows you to run that battery dead without draining the primary battery as well. It is smart to set it up that your maximum current drain on the primary battery does not approach the charging capacity of the alternator. Then, you get home, in spite of having to go slow because the limited lighting is not nearly as bright that way. In essence, you can keep going until you run out of gas.... :-)
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

12. Likes madmax 1, 08Rhino450SE, Timmi liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12