Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Adding SSV Works 10" Subwoofer to my Ranger 900

Some of us don't grow up. Clearly, I am one of those people. I started out messing with subwoofers in my teens, like many high school aged boys. Now in my 30's, I still like dabbling in car audio. I've had stereos in three different UTVs. For me, a stereo ranks up there on the top 5 mods. However, I have never had anything more than a self-contained stereo like the SSV Works overhead stereo. Simply plug in a negative and positive power wires, zip tie the cable to the roll cage, and go ride.

My Polaris Ranger 900 went a slightly different direction. Because I have owned two different SSV overhead stereos, the first generation with the remote and the latest generation with Bluetooth and a more powerful amplifier, I wanted to try something different. Over a year ago, Wet Sounds came out with their own overhead stereo. Instead of a fiberglass enclosure with a few 6.5" coaxial speakers like the SSV, Wet Sounds made a stereo that looks more like a light bar. Called the Stealth 10, it has eight 3" speakers and two titanium tweeters, all powered by a 300W RMS internal amplifier, and built into an extruded aluminum enclosure that resembles a 30" lightbar.

This would be my setup. By itself, the Stealth 10 is amazingly loud. Compared to the latest generation SSV Works WP-OU4 overhead stereo, the Stealth 10 is substantially cleaner at high volumes and is capable of significantly higher volumes. The Wet Sounds Stealth 10 has a $749 MSRP vs the SSV Works $649 MSRP. I have seen the SSV go for less than $600 on the street but have not really seen any substantial discounts on the Wet Sounds. The Wet Sounds Stealth 10 trumps the SSV in every category save for price, and, in my opinion, bass response at lower listening volumes.

My inner child has always wanted to put some bass into my UTV. The Wet Sounds lack of bass was enough justification for me. My research showed the SSV Works makes a custom subwoofer enclosure for the 2015 Ranger 900. The enclosure is designed to fit under the passenger seat, replacing the removable storage tub that comes from the factory. The SSV underseat enclosure fits a 10" subwoofer and has 0.72 cubic feet of airspace. It came with SSV's own brand of subwoofer, a 10" marine grade woofer with a 300W RMS rating and single 4ohm voice coil.

Everything fits nicely under the seat. You don't have to cut anything, simply bolt the subwoofer into place with the stock T25 bolts.

The woofer needs to be powered. I spent a lot of time thinking about what amplifier would suit me best. My thinking was that I needed the amplifier to give at least 250W RMS at 4ohms. Since I do play my stereo without the engine running, it needs to be able to do make decent power at 12.5V and not just at 14.4V where many amps are rated. The other need I determined was that the amplifier needs to be small. I ride in a lot of mud and water, and even a "marine amplifier" isn't going to live getting muddy and wet. My amplifier had to fit in the Polaris Ranger glove box.

What I came up with was the Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR series amplifier. It is a physically small amplifier, it is CEA-2006 compliant so that it actually makes its rated power, and the two channel version could be bridged into a single 4ohm load for 300W RMS power.

Here you can see the size of the amplifier next to an iPod classic.

Rockford Fosgate bench tests their amplifiers sending them with a "birth sheet" showing how that amp performed at a particular voltage. According to my birth sheet, the amp will do over its rated power at 14.4V, but we all know that those voltages are in a perfect world and hardly present in a truck much less a UTV.

I mounted the amplifier in the glovebox and did not lose much space.

I wired the amplifier using the recommended 10ga leads to my Blue Seas fuse block. One side advantage to having the fuse block under the hood is that it makes attaching the battery charger easy for maintenance. The battery is under the seat of the Ranger 900 and covered by the new subwoofer.

Overall, the SSV Works subwoofer and Wet Sounds Stealth 10 make a potent, great sounding combo. The music sounds full, and is capable of providing plenty of bass that can be heard even well outside the Ranger.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

2. Likes 08Rhino450SE liked this post
    nice love the Rockford amps, the big p8004 that I have for sale is a beast but eats lots of juice, you've got a real nice CLEAN system
    07 camo 660,yoshi duals,kms intake,dynatec cdi,jet kit, montana jack f&r winch mount,w/ warn xt40, 27" bighorns,2" lift, cab with summit heater,aux red top optima, 5 bad ass jrt's on board,itp ss 212s, jbs sheave,14 gr. wts,orange spring, 40 " led light bar, autometer guages,equus tach,innovate afm, jensen ms30 ,jbl 6.5s, elka stage 1 shocks, kenwood 2way radio, alpine ktp445u amp, led headlight mod,twisted stitch harnesses,pro1 doors, 60 amp alternator,power steering, pc925 battery

That'll make your butt vibrate.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    i wanna hear dark side of the moon bumpin on that thing in a video, chris lol

is that sub ported?
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

Quote Originally Posted by 08Rhino450SE View Post
    i wanna hear dark side of the moon bumpin on that thing in a video, chris lol

is that sub ported?
    The sub is sealed for the UTV use. I'd flood it were the enclosure ported! LoL! I've run a set of ported 12" subs in my truck. It was my first taste of ported. Wow, a good tuned enclosure ported sounds really nice. I'm a believer in ported, but not in my fourwheeler!
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

7. Likes robleticia liked this post
    Banned
    I have the sub in mine and I absolutely love it!

Yes I'm 45 and didn't grow up either

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    The sub is sealed for the UTV use. I'd flood it were the enclosure ported! LoL! I've run a set of ported 12" subs in my truck. It was my first taste of ported. Wow, a good tuned enclosure ported sounds really nice. I'm a believer in ported, but not in my fourwheeler!
    you could snorkel it for added oomph lol
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

If you're using two subs, connect the left-channel sub to the left pre-out, and the right-channel sub to the right pre-out. If you're using a separate preamp and power amp, and the preamp has only a single set of pre-outs, you'll need two RCA Y-adapters, to split the pre-outs to simultaneously feed power amp and sub. This is how UTV Bluetooth speaker get to be connected.

thanks for resurrecting an eight year old thread, and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by padhoogteo View Post
    If you're using two subs, connect the left-channel sub to the left pre-out, and the right-channel sub to the right pre-out. If you're using a separate preamp and power amp, and the preamp has only a single set of pre-outs, you'll need two RCA Y-adapters, to split the pre-outs to simultaneously feed power amp and sub. This is how UTV Bluetooth speaker get to be connected.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar