Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rear diff heat?

Rear diff heat?

James or anyone else have an issue with this?

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum...t-exhaust.html

To me its a little concerning, at 260 degrees that oil may be boiling in there. I seen the plates for the Viking that were made by Blue Wolf on Viking forum. I'm making a plate for my Wolverine and probably going to wrap the header in exhaust wrap seeing as I can hardly stand by the bed after driving because of the heat. I asked my service guys at the shop and they didnt think it should be that hot at all. Maybe a call to Yamaha may be in order.

Hmm. Sounds high. I've never measured mine on my Commander but it's a little noisy, straight cut gears which is normal.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

I know on my 660 the dif gets "burn your fingers hot" I live in Arizona where the dif can get over a hundred degrees just parked in the drive way. I sometimes run several miles at a time well in excess if the factory speed limiter. I worry that I am over working it. I am considering (as suggested on the other forum) taking some temperature readings with various oils to see if one has a better result. I don't think the Rhino or Wolverine has any special needs with regard to the gear oil in the diff (I know the factory has specific specs) I should be safe trying any of the higher end synthetic gear oils or maybe even that lucas additive I always see in the little display where you turn the crank to pick up the oil on the gears. I don't know a lot about that stuff but playing with that little demonstrator on the parts store counter sure seems convincing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flach24 View Post
    James or anyone else have an issue with this?

http://www.wolverineforums.com/forum...t-exhaust.html

To me its a little concerning, at 260 degrees that oil may be boiling in there. I seen the plates for the Viking that were made by Blue Wolf on Viking forum. I'm making a plate for my Wolverine and probably going to wrap the header in exhaust wrap seeing as I can hardly stand by the bed after driving because of the heat. I asked my service guys at the shop and they didnt think it should be that hot at all. Maybe a call to Yamaha may be in order.
    well the gear oil should be good for at least 400 to 600 before flash point, but the cooler you keep it the longer it lasts before break down.
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

I did a little research and the highest service point of gear oil I saw for synthetic was 160degC which translates to 320degF. So the 294degF on the heat gun would push the limits of even the best gear lube if that is accurate. And keep in mind that is external temp. Many of the mineral oils are in the 85C to 100C service range, and which we probably all know that 100degC is 212degF. I am not very smart on this but I would certainly want to check the gear oil spec of what I was using with this high of a temp or verify if clearances are too tight and exhaust proximity or something else to create the heat.....
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

6. Thanks 123.bert0621 thanked for this post
    Cut out a few heat guards from
    Some stove piping. Just an super easy way to maybe help a bit. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	10257
    From Safford Arizona- Blue R-spec Wolvarine- 2 inch Super ATV lift.. . JBS Badass X-sheeve . slugged.. purple spring...JBS slippery washers.. 17g OD weights... JBS Badging.

I know that on a Rhino 660 the header is 1 inch off of the diff at its closest point. I have had zero issues with it

Yea. I don't thing it s problem really. But I heard a few people concerned about it and I had some stove piping up on a shelf, so I said well that would be a good use for it. And prolly help any ways. !!! I'm just board. Waiting for my Xsheeve kit to arrive. Lol
    From Safford Arizona- Blue R-spec Wolvarine- 2 inch Super ATV lift.. . JBS Badass X-sheeve . slugged.. purple spring...JBS slippery washers.. 17g OD weights... JBS Badging.

10. Likes Rhino SE 66 liked this post