Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  110
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

My 804 "adventures"

First off, Duckhunter I believe this is an isolated incident and not common, my build was anything but smooth and I had lots of issues that aren't common. It's just the way my life goes and keeps it interesting. Lol

Well my journey from stock to an 804 was a long. While I love my motor and would not shy anyone away from building one, I seem to have the worst luck and could be a great product tester.

It started off great, talked James's ear off on what I wanted to do especially since reliability was one of my main concerns and was willing to leave some power on the table to keep it. After I decided what I wanted to do and had all the cash, I got the ball rolling.

So first off the crank was ordered and got hung up, which wasn't a big deal, even though I really wanted to get my build done during winter, it wasn't going to happen, but it showed up, measured almost everything and built my motor. Until I got it together an was double checking everything I noticed a small hang up. Took a little bit but finally found this[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447041354550.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	7320[/IMG]

While that sucked, I was glad I never fired it off and caused real damage. Pulled it back out and sent it back to get fixed. After getting it back, I assembled it again and measured everything this time, and found out that my piston didn't have enough clearance. I didn't have an offset piston when I needed one. Got that taken care of and everything was great, minus the fact of the couple hundred bucks in extra shipping costs. While James said he would reimburse me for it, I couldn't ask for it back. Shit happens, and he spent lots of time on the phone with me late at night when he shouldn't have, especially when I spaced the time change.

Fired it up, got the break-in and tuning done and it was a beast. Had a couple issues of the cam chain jumping several months a part, put a new chain, cam gear and tensioner hoping that would cure it and seemed to be. After that it has been a great runner. It's been in Texas, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and of course Washington tearing shit up and leaving me with lots of grins.

Also Had a starter magnet come loose and grenade and lock up. That was a crappy walk home but easy fix.[IMG]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447042406533.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	7321[/IMG]

So a month or so ago, I felt like I was loosing power, or just getting used to it. But I knew there was lots of room for improvement in the tuning area, as I had done lots, but not got it to where I was planning on getting it. So I started seeing good gains, but still not to where I thought it should be or had been. It would fire right up and sometimes it seemed it would hesitate but always lit right off even at 20 degree and lower Temps. So I figured just part of the bigger motor.

But last week I snuck away to do a little more tuning and realized it was a too rich through a few ranges so I went back to the shop to change it, as it was wet out. Shut it down and changed the map, fired it up to let it idle and go plug the computer back in to charge. As I was walking I heard some stomach churning sounds and ran over and turned it off. I knew where the sound was coming from, so I didn't start it back up and just tore into it.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

When I tore into it I found this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447044618551.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	7322

And this

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447044910183.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	7323

Lots of kind loving words came out of my mouth. But I knew right then and there the motor had to come out. Even just for cleaning sake. But nothing was loose and everything turned fine. So dove into it and was surprised by these little gems of beauty.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447045225863.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	7324

Which came from here

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447045373825.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	7325

And added some non slip grip to my jbs sheave and brand new fixed sheave

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447045504985.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	7326

Talk about being overjoyed. Crank issues then finding out I need a whole new clutch set up.

How could this get better I thought? Well the crank isn't out yet, let's keep going. So got the crank out and was actually kinda hoping the crank was going to be in 2 pieces. But it wasn't.

08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    MTS

I got it out and found this in the bottom which I expected

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447045935550.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	7327

But as I have spent several days looking over the crank, only thing I can guess the is its broke under the cam chain gear, or something. Dunno yet. James and I are still trying to figure this out. Just as I was about to go to the stage 3 cam too!

There's more but I've have enough fun for one night. Lol

08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    MTS

sorry to hear it man
    Sent from my momma's basement

"The family Comfort Wagon"..JBS sheave, +6 LT w/kings, 4 seat cage w/3 twisted stitch seats

That sux....Is that a ball bearing laying in there

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Holy shit that sucks!! Wish you luck!! I remember how frustrating your build was.
    2015 Teryx 4 LE 800, EMP full glass windshield,JBS floor guards, Street legal kit. Highlifter 2" lift, Super ATV arched A-arms, M20 wheels, 28" ITP Bajacross tires. Bandit shocks, Throttle Maxx throttle pedal extension Rock lights, Terra45 winch, JBS Radiator guards, custom JBS hood decal and tunes!!

Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    That sux....Is that a ball bearing laying in there

Sent from my PantechP4100 using Tapatalk
    Deceiving little bugger that is. I've thought the same thing. But it's just a nice round molding in the case.

08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    MTS

Man I'm sorry about the bad luck! And I thought I was the only one that had that hind of crap happen! Good luck on the rebuild.
    2006 Rhino 450. Mostly stock. Four seater, Kenda Bear Claws, warn 2500 winch
    JBS Sheave, 12g OD, Blue Secondary Spring, wet clutch slugged.

2003 F250 SD 7.3.
    2000 F350 SD 7.3 Banks Additions

Quote Originally Posted by Snorider View Post
    I got it out and found this in the bottom which I expected

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1447045935550.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	7327

But as I have spent several days looking over the crank, only thing I can guess the is its broke under the cam chain gear, or something. Dunno yet. James and I are still trying to figure this out. Just as I was about to go to the stage 3 cam too!

There's more but I've have enough fun for one night. Lol

Holy cow!!!
    So your secondary came apart and something in your motor? So she vibrated apart
    How many mile on that build?
    You got me nervous now
    So did you find out what the metal was in the motor?
    Sorry to hear that !!
    Keep me posted!!!
    2013 Camo 700 Rhino w/ homemade 4 seater cage, bored and stroke to 804.
    11.1cp piston with 105.5 bore, 8mm stroker crank works crank ,25" Bighorn on Viking tactical wheels
    BRP cdi , Bazzaz Z FI w/ auto mapper , raptor stage 1 cam ,Yoshimura duals, jBS extreme sheave with 17g OD , slug kit ,injector, Elka stage 1,2" lift , 20" led bar and ez steer

The secondary is a known problem on the early 700's with the rivets breaking. Not always but has been known to happen. I was actually thinking about replacing it as a CYA. And the metal was was from the inside of the magento when it hit the stator.

08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    MTS

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast