Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nova Scotia Canada In beautiful Mahone Bay
    Well I'm impressed. Still takes my rhino alot longer than that with all the mods I have. Awesome, Good for you Chris
    09 734 sport, ported, jbs sheave, 16 gram, purple spring, slugged, cam, full muzzy, hi-flow injector, msd 3d, wicked built rack, cognito spindles, hid / rigid industries led lighting, 26" bear claw radials, 2 inch spacers all round, homemade hood rack, doors, bed rails. Always doing more.

Just wondering what RPMs does the rhino make its best power at?
    2013 Camo 700 Rhino w/ homemade 4 seater cage, bored and stroke to 804.
    11.1cp piston with 105.5 bore, 8mm stroker crank works crank ,25" Bighorn on Viking tactical wheels
    BRP cdi , Bazzaz Z FI w/ auto mapper , raptor stage 1 cam ,Yoshimura duals, jBS extreme sheave with 17g OD , slug kit ,injector, Elka stage 1,2" lift , 20" led bar and ez steer

Quote Originally Posted by Fabricator View Post
    Well I'm impressed. Still takes my rhino alot longer than that with all the mods I have. Awesome, Good for you Chris
    Thanks! My Rhino was built similar. And while it ran well, I know it didn't quite perform like the Ranger. In fact, I raced my Rhino against my Ranger even before the clutching and ECU, and I was able to edge it out in a short drag race on sand. I'll never knock the Rhino, though. That thing is still kicking it in the trails after 5 hard years. That kind of service speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunter View Post
    Just wondering what RPMs does the rhino make its best power at?
    That's a good question. The Rhino powerband is affected by many things: cams, exhaust, crank, rod, and intake. I don't want to give out bad advice, but I would guess that most Rhino 700s make their power between 6000RPM and 7000RPM. The big lung single cylinders seem to run out of breath at higher RPM. I wouldn't submit that information to any sound engine building doctrine; I say it more like a campfire discussion.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

4. Likes DuckHunter, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I had an opportunity to fine tune the clutching a bit more on my Ranger. Via the support of Dirty Dawg Performance, we lightened the center of my flyweights to bring the shiftout RPM up an additional 150RPM.

It it just keeps getting better. This Ranger has more brute power than it does suspension. I feel confident I can outrun a newer RZR 900 in a drag. The RZR would destroy me in the woods, because I'd turn this Ranger over in a fast corner. LoL Still, this tune makes the Ranger a completely different animal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	7591  
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

6. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes 08Rhino450SE, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Bump on this thread.

Short version: Highlifter Diver Down snorkels were hurting my power.

I pulled the snorkels off my Ranger, mostly because I was bored and curious one afternoon. What I found was that the snorkels were noticably reducing engine power. I'm not sure if or how much the snorkels would affect a stock motor Ranger 900 with its 6500RPM limit. However, the reflashed ECU that makes RZR-S 900 power and reves to 7600RPM needs more air than the 1.5" snorkel riser can provide. When I returned the OEM intake, I immediately felt an increase in engine power everywhere. The RPMs build faster and about 200RPM higher at shiftout.

I also removed the heavy safety glass windshield and rear panel because the weather is already 80F in south Texas (it's too hot for a cab!)

My Ranger is far faster without the windshield and the windows. I can easily hit 65MPH on a flat road with my 27" Bighorns. I found one stretch where it was getting close to 68MPH but I backed out. In my Ranger 900, 60MPH is smooth and it feels good; it's not "floaty" or spooky. 65MPH gets weird real fast. The Polaris EPS is full on all the time so minor steering inputs turn into vague, hi-speed wandering real quick. At close to 70MPH, I start wondering about my living will and my life insurance... haha! I do not recommend those kinds of speeds in a lifted Polaris Ranger!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65mph.jpg 
Views:	340 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	8761  
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

8. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, jerhomey liked this post
    Great post. I have always wondered what would happen on an ECU swap like you did. I wonder how bigger tires would hold up on the long term with the changes to the clutch.

What is the difference between having an ECU flash and having a CDI box like a dynatek ? Do they both give the same results but in a different way ?

Quote Originally Posted by jerhomey View Post
    What is the difference between having an ECU flash and having a CDI box like a dynatek ? Do they both give the same results but in a different way ?
    When companies re-flash an ECU in a vehicle such as the Ranger, all kinds of drivetrain parameters are suddenly open to modification. My Ranger ECU has the following parameters altered:
    • vehicle speed limit removed
    • cooling fan on temperature lowered to 185F (down from 204F)
    • throttle by wire set to 100%
    • ignition
    • fuel

The Ranger 900 engine responds well to these mods because Polaris has the engine tamed down. For example, Polaris uses the same engine in three different vehicles: the Ace 900 (60HP), the Ranger 900 (68HP), and the RZR 900 (75HP). All these engines use throttle by wire to achieve different levels of engine responsiveness and overall power at a given RPM. The throttle is not "locked" to 100% in any of these vehicles meaning the pedal may be pushed all the way down but the engine may not be opening the throttle body more than 50-70%. Supposedly, Polaris does this to preserve drivetrain components and to imitate a pseudo traction control algorithm. All this is controlled by the ECU. The more responsive throttle is great, and the greater overall power is even better.

A Dynatek CDI commonly seen in Rhinos doesn't have the capability to modify these kinds of values. The Rhino has a throttle controlled by a cable, so there is no need for any changes that regard. Your foot determines how much the throttle body opens and how many axles you break! I think the Dynatek's main function is to allow the engine to rev higher and may even advance engine timing in a basic way (such as +3 degrees of advance over stock values everywhere).

I never owned a Dynatek when I had a Rhino. I had a MSD fuel and ignition controller. Like the Dynatek, it was a piggy-back device that intercepted stock fuel/ignition/timing values and added or subtracted from those values.

The reprogrammed ECU like the one in my Ranger 900 does all of that and even more without having to plug in other boxes. I know that's the long answer to your question. If someone else can make better sense of comparing/contrasting a Dynatek CDI to a re-flashed ECU, jump on in here!
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

12. Likes Fabricator liked this post
    Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_control_unit

Modern E.C.U.s

Modern E.C.U.s use a microprocessor which can process the inputs from the engine sensors in real-time. An electronic control unit contains the hardware and software (firmware). The hardware consists of electronic components on a printed circuit board (P.C.B.), ceramic substrate or a thin laminate substrate. The main component on this circuit board is a micro controller chip (CPU). The software is stored in the microcontroller or other chips on the P.C.B., typically in E.P.R.O.Ms or flash memory so the C.P.U. can be re-programmed by uploading updated code or replacing chips. This is also referred to as an (electronic) Engine Management System (E.M.S.).

Sophisticated engine management systems receive inputs from other sources, and control other parts of the engine; for instance, some variable valve timing systems are electronically controlled, and turbocharger waste gates can also be managed. They also may communicate with transmission control units or directly interface electronically controlled automatic transmissions, traction control systems, and the like. The Controller Area Network or CAN bus automotive network is often used to achieve communication between these devices.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capaci...harge_ignition

The basic principle

Most ignition systems used in cars are inductive discharge ignition (IDI) systems, which are solely relying on the electric inductance at the coil to produce high-voltage electricity to the spark plugs as the magnetic field collapses when the current to the primary coil winding is disconnected (disruptive discharge). In a CDI system, a charging circuit charges a high voltage capacitor, and at the instant of ignition the system stops charging the capacitor, allowing the capacitor to discharge its output to the ignition coil before reaching the spark plug.

14. Likes Fabricator liked this post
    Sorry this is a little off topic, but how did you bring yourself to jump from Yamaha to Polaris with the known quality difference? Just curious.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast