Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

So I have found out that the Super ATV power steering kit that I will be putting on soon bolts in the same place as the Black Rhino Aux battery bolts. So I am looking for other ideas besides under the driver seat, which is still an option.
    2012 rhino 700. 3" lift kit, stock wheel and tires, 3000# warn, top, custom stereo.

What's the isolator due

separates the batteries so they charge and discharge independently

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by mpdave391 View Post
    What's the isolator due
    It prevents a possible battery fire. Batteries fail in many different ways, and one of those ways is to develop an internal short in one or more of the cells within. If this happens when another battery is wired in parallel with the shorted battery current will flow from the good battery and through the shorted battery. Batteries will flow a huge amount of current through a dead short and it boils the acid out of the shorted cell and heats the bad battery up to a potentially very high temperature.

An appropriate "isolator" is a Voltage Sensing Relay which connects the batteries together only when one of the batteries is indeed being charged, such that both batteries get a charge. When there is no charging voltage on either battery the VSR breaks the connection between the batteries such that the shorted cell problem does not happen when the machine is unattended.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Oh okay I didn't know that that's good info to know is that harder on the stock charging system of a 660

Quote Originally Posted by mpdave391 View Post
    Oh okay I didn't know that that's good info to know is that harder on the stock charging system of a 660
    Being hard on the charging system is not really what dual batteries do. 2 fully charged batteries draw no more current than one fully charged battery. A fully charged battery does not draw any appreciable current. The need for current to flow is caused by using current to crank the engine, power the winch, light up the lights, etc. It is sort of like a bank account, if you draw out more money than you pay in, your credit rating suffers when the money is gone.

What is hard on the charging system is to drain the battery(ies) and then expect the engine to recharge it/them right then and there. So you see that the driver has control of this by not overloading the system by running everything to the max.

The idea of an isolated auxiliary battery is to have a reserve battery than you can overdraw from if you have to. The primary battery is not involved, so you can depend on it to get you started and get back home, where you can recharge the depleted battery.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

That's cool I'll have to look into adding a second battery

Does this isolator draw any power when parked?
    O5 660 stock motor , jbs sheave with 14g greased greaseless, orange secondary spring with anti friction washers, dynatec Cdi, tyrex shocks, glo shift guages, baxter built rear diff fix, 30" Zillas on 14" sti bead locks, aluminum framed safety glass windshield, aluminum flatbed with dog box, cooler, and water tank. Built what I could and bought the rest. To be continued......

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub View Post
    Does this isolator draw any power when parked?
    Very little. Some have a very dim led. If you’re parking it for extended time, you can unplug it or have it on a switch. If you use a battery maintainer, you wouldn’t need to disconnect.
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12