Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger 900: Broken Front Differential

My front differential let go on my 2015 Ranger 900. Running only 27" Maxxis Bighorn tires, I'm a little shocked and a little disappointed. Regardless, it looks like I'm going to need a front differential. Maybe this is the time to upgrade to the newer style Pro-Lock front differential with the close ratio AWD.

I haven't pulled the broken differential out, but from what I can see the pinion broke...I suppose?

I was out on our ranch property cruising around. The rear tires began to slip in the wet ground. I put it in AWD. The front end pulled. Then, all hell broke loose. Well, the driveshaft broke loose.

Polaris!!
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

Not the first time i've seen this on a Ranger, but shocking. I have seen similiar issues with RZR's. Poooolaris
    16' Yamaha Wolverine R Spec

That's to bad Chris, least you weren't to far from the house when she let go. Was at the tire shop yesterday that I got my snow tracks from and the owner was telling me about a ole boy that bought tracks this fall for his Polaris and they pretty much torn the RZR apart, to the point the ole boy pulled them and is trying to sell the tracks because he's tried of the repair bill every time he took it out? Tracks 2 years on my Rhino and she's no trailer Queen, and not a lick of a problem, same belt even.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Kenny, now you're just rubbing it in! Haha!
    824 miles on this Ranger 900.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

5. Likes Kenny G, 08Rhino450SE, madmax 1 liked this post
    Chris you always give a good unbiased opinion of your machines, be it negative or positive. Your signature pic says it all, bro!
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

7. Likes 08Rhino450SE liked this post
    That's about the same mileage I had on my rzr when suspension pieces started to let go. The diff didn't break, but tie rod ends, bushings, wheel bearings...

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Maybe this is the time to upgrade to the newer style Pro-Lock front differential with the close ratio AWD.

I haven't pulled the broken differential out, but from what I can see the pinion broke...I suppose?

I was out on our ranch property cruising around. The rear tires began to slip in the wet ground. I put it in AWD. The front end pulled. Then, all hell broke loose. Well, the driveshaft broke loose.

Polaris!!
    Thanks for the real world update, Chris. It's refreshing to get honest reporting on offroad vehicles.
    What's the feature / advantage / benefit of the Pro-Lock differential?
    Please keep us updated on what you find!

I pulled the front differential. The good news is that the housing is not cracked. I haven't disassembled the differential, but at this point I would say the pinion bearing failed. The ring gear may have pushed the whole driveshaft out. The ring gear still spins smoothly, however, the pinion gear needs further inspection. The pinion is still attached to the driveshaft and is in the machine. The front bumper needs to be removed to slide the shaft out of the machine.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

sorry bout your luck Chris keep us posted on your progress
    07 camo 660,yoshi duals,kms intake,dynatec cdi,jet kit, montana jack f&r winch mount,w/ warn xt40, 27" bighorns,2" lift, cab with summit heater,aux red top optima, 5 bad ass jrt's on board,itp ss 212s, jbs sheave,14 gr. wts,orange spring, 40 " led light bar, autometer guages,equus tach,innovate afm, jensen ms30 ,jbl 6.5s, elka stage 1 shocks, kenwood 2way radio, alpine ktp445u amp, led headlight mod,twisted stitch harnesses,pro1 doors, 60 amp alternator,power steering, pc925 battery

I hope this can be repaired. Because if I gotta buy a whole new diff, I will be sore!
    Wow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	8953  
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast