Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by flimmy View Post
    Before I stripped it I tried heat and it didn't work. I may try welding a nut on it next time but it's kinda of small and sunken in because of the skid plate and frame.
    It would be a good idea to check it with a magnet to make sure that it is steel, and not aluminum? A'fore melting it down....
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Nice! What did they do lock-tite the bolt. I'd be pissed.... New machine glad they are goin to replace the bolt.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Well, if it's aluminum in a steel case than that could be a problem. Dissimilar metals can "weld" themselves together for a better lack of a term.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Yotehunter66 View Post
    Well, if it's aluminum in a steel case than that could be a problem. Dissimilar metals can "weld" themselves together for a better lack of a term.
    Hmmm, That is an interesting observation. The first thing that pops into my mind is galvanic corrosion when there is a combination of different metals in contact. The corrosion products 'swell up' and effectively lock the threads together. Certain identical metal combinations can be prone to galling ('welding' is a good term for this), as well as certain dissimilar metals. Certain bare aluminum to bare aluminum and stainless steel to stainless steel are notorious for this sort of thing.

The reason that aluminum came to my mind was the rounding of the hex when trying to remove the plug. Being soft and ductile you have to be careful with soft metals such as aluminum. Aluminum is much easier to machine, so it makes for a cheaper alternative for a non-load bearing fastener, hence the possible choice of this material. With hindsight, perhaps using only a 6 point socket (rather than 12 point or open end wrench) to work with these plugs is a solution? Unfortunately, that is not much help after the fact, eh?
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

I'm pretty sure , but didn't check yet , that's it's a steel plug in ssh aluminum case. Plus it's a female hex so that it can be flush. I did try a little heat with a small butane torch but that didn't work.
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

I always use a little "Never Seize" or "Anti-seize" on any thread, especially ones that go into aluminum. Works great on Break pin sliders too. Use this stuff on the threads of spark plugs also. You just need a little dab of it, and you will not likely have trouble again.
    Attachment 783
    Use this stuff on exhaust studs.
    Attachment 784

A little bit goes a long way and it's always fun to put a little dab on the headband of your buddies welding helmet lol

If it ain't broke you ain't trying!
    2015 Teryx 4 LE 800, EMP full glass windshield,JBS floor guards, Street legal kit. Highlifter 2" lift, Super ATV arched A-arms, M20 wheels, 28" ITP Bajacross tires. Bandit shocks, Throttle Maxx throttle pedal extension Rock lights, Terra45 winch, JBS Radiator guards, custom JBS hood decal and tunes!!

8. Likes rhinosport84 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    A little bit goes a long way and it's always fun to put a little dab on the headband of your buddies welding helmet lol

Awe, Yes. I see you work in the Trades. If he is not your buddy, try blueing, again, a little dab goes a long way.

Yup, mechanics always find ways to mess with each other.
    We had a couple at our shop that started out as funny little pranks like tying a zip tie to the other guys drive line or a little anti seize under the toolbox drawer handle and it just kept getting worse, it was funny to the rest of us because it wasn't happening to us.
    It finally got to the point to going too far as he put a needle greaser on the shop grease reel and completely filled the other guys Snap-On tool box before he got to work and I mean every single drawer.
    And as most of you know you can fuck with a guy but NEVER fuck with his tools.

2015 Teryx 4 LE 800, EMP full glass windshield,JBS floor guards, Street legal kit. Highlifter 2" lift, Super ATV arched A-arms, M20 wheels, 28" ITP Bajacross tires. Bandit shocks, Throttle Maxx throttle pedal extension Rock lights, Terra45 winch, JBS Radiator guards, custom JBS hood decal and tunes!!

11. Likes moobster liked this post
    I anti-seize stuff all the time , put it on like I'm painting with it lol
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12