Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

28" Intimidators on Ranger 900

It was time to step it up a notch! I ordered up a set of 28x10 SuperATV Intimidators on 14" MSA Vibe wheels. I haven't actually put them on the trails yet, so look for a dirt review in a week or so.

I can say that these tires are super smooth. I don't know of another tire with 2" tread that rides this smooth. The other thing is that these tires are heavy. Mounted on these 14" wheels, my scale read 52.7lbs per corner.

Check them out:

The tires rub in the front. I have a set of forward a-arms I'll be installing ASAP.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

2. Likes Timmi, DuckHunter liked this post

28" Intimidators on Ranger 900

Nice taste in tires and rims, they are smooth heavy and badass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 camo eps
    Superwinch terra 45
    Yamaha folding windshield
    Yamaha rear window
    Yamaha rear grab bar
    Yamaha sound deadening kit
    Superatv 2 in lift kit
    28/10/12 ITP Blackwater Evolution tires
    Jbs Slug kit
    Voombox Bluetooth speaker
    Motoalliance Denali Pro 72 in plow
    Rhino lined box
    JBS Sheave kit 17gram weights

They look awesome on there. Can't wait to hear on your report. What made you want to step up from the bighorns? How much are they supposed to weight dismounted?

Sent from my STV100-1 Priv
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

This weekend (May 22), I had an opportunity to put the Intimidators on the trail and into the mud. Some of the mud was a heavy soupy mud, like a water and sand slurry. This kind of mud has more consistency than quicksand. It's the closest thing to Canadian skeg we have in the south: it's doesn't really cake up your tires, it's heavy, and it's bottomless. The Intimidators did well, and they really pull hard when you spin them fast. In Low Range AWD, my Ranger will spin the tires fast. It's kind of scary because I'm not real confident in my drivetrain. The Versa-Track Turf mode rear differential and the front gearcase are not exactly stout pieces of machinery. Put 80HP and 7500RPM into a 52lb tire covered in heavy mud, and my PayPal starts to get nervous. Maybe I should have opened the cooler more frequently...LoL!

The tires did well, but I wasn't "wowed" by them. They ride smooth and the look great, but they just didn't impress me to the level to which I was expecting.

I also put the Intimidators in some slick and sticky clay based mud. This is the mud that balls up your tires at slow speeds. It's the mud that causes you to slide around on the trail and into ruts you were trying to stay out of. The Intimidators did well here. My Bighons would slide around bad in the slick mud. They'd slide down hills and slide sideways. The Intimidators are far more sure footed. They self clean well. Their deep tread is directional and goes where you point the wheel.

Overall, the 28" Intimidators are a good tire. I wouldn't say they are outstanding because if you buy a tire like this, you buy it with mud performance in mind. Outlaws are still going to out pull the Intimidators in my area, but an Outlaw won't trail ride as well as the Intimidator. At the same time, you are paying the same weight penalty with the Intimidator as you would with the Outlaw.

I believe the Intimidator is a more refined Terminator. A Ranger 900 on 28x10 Terminators was not able to go more places in the mud than my 28x10 Intimidators, but my Intimidators rode and handled better than the Terminators.

If deep mud and water is your thing, the Outlaws are still the go-to tire of choice here in south Texas. The Intimidators have great looks and curb appeal, they handle sticky mud well, and they ride very smooth.

2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

Nova Scotia Canada In beautiful Mahone Bay
    Nice write up as always Chris, Thanks for the great info.
    09 734 sport, ported, jbs sheave, 16 gram, purple spring, slugged, cam, full muzzy, hi-flow injector, msd 3d, wicked built rack, cognito spindles, hid / rigid industries led lighting, 26" bear claw radials, 2 inch spacers all round, homemade hood rack, doors, bed rails. Always doing more.

Yeah, nice job! And cool pic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 camo eps
    Superwinch terra 45
    Yamaha folding windshield
    Yamaha rear window
    Yamaha rear grab bar
    Yamaha sound deadening kit
    Superatv 2 in lift kit
    28/10/12 ITP Blackwater Evolution tires
    Jbs Slug kit
    Voombox Bluetooth speaker
    Motoalliance Denali Pro 72 in plow
    Rhino lined box
    JBS Sheave kit 17gram weights

Ordering me some 34's Friday. Glad someone else tried them first. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Chilly, you'll like them. I regret not getting the 30s.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

Thanks for the write up Chris .
    I think i am kinda like you in the aspect of going to a all out mud tire like the OLs for the deep Texas mud just doesnt outweigh my love of the trail. I do believe I am gonna try a set of Mayhems in 28 or 30 as my next tire (unless a smoking deal with wider front wheels comes up on Craigslist)....should be a little deeper tread than my zillas but still trail worthy and not as heavy as the terms or intimidators on my stock engine.
    2012 blue 700
    JBS Stage 2 Extreme sheave: 15gram sliders: gold spring: Dynatek: JBS splash guards: JBS Slugged clutch: 30x9/10x14 Monster Mayhem: 14" ss212: 2"+ JD lift: 4500lb champion winch: hyperlube radiator treatment: rzr seats-JD lowered: JD 3" cage chop: blue underglows/dome light: JD aluminum roof: JD tower speaker bar with 4 1/2" and bluetooth amp: 42" light bar forward cubes rear: Half windshield: Snorkel your UTV by JD: