Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Fault code 43/fuel system voltage

Long story short, I decided to label all the plugs under the hood. Doing so required removing the pins from the connectors so I could get the shrink labels on. When I finished I couldn't start the bike. Fault code 43 and do not hear the fuel pump. When I began the project I forgot to disconnect the battery so there is some chance something shorted. I started with the fuel system relay yet after that I realized I needed to disconnect the battery and did so. That is the only circuit that could have shorted. Anyway, I am getting power to the relay at the brown/black stripe wire, and when I put power to the red/blue stripe wire (that goes to both the fuel pump and backup light relay) I can hear the pump run, but it does sound quieter than before. I am suspecting the ecu is either not receiving the input that it needs or sending the signal to switch the relay on. Suppose it could also be a weak ground.
    I didn't have time to further diagnose. Are there any sensors that might be suspect in either the units themselves or their wiring. For example, does the lean angle sensor have to send a particular voltage signal to the ecu before the ecu will turn on the fuel pump relay?
    Also, how are fault codes cleared? I have the manual, but have not been able to locate directions to clear them.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks

https://youtu.be/7bIiXoOgEFQ
    you dont have a signature so here is a rhino vid, it might help.
    2012 blue 700
    JBS Stage 2 Extreme sheave: 15gram sliders: gold spring: Dynatek: JBS splash guards: JBS Slugged clutch: 30x9/10x14 Monster Mayhem: 14" ss212: 2"+ JD lift: 4500lb champion winch: hyperlube radiator treatment: rzr seats-JD lowered: JD 3" cage chop: blue underglows/dome light: JD aluminum roof: JD tower speaker bar with 4 1/2" and bluetooth amp: 42" light bar forward cubes rear: Half windshield: Snorkel your UTV by JD:

3. Thanks jimclemjr thanked for this post
    Thanks for the link. I have a 2015 viking. I would bet there is a way to do that, but so far I have not found out how. I have the factory manual and I have yet to find any directions for stuff like that. However, I have searched online and have found that on some of the motorcycles they hold down the reset button with the key in on position until the display reads diagnostic. Then hold select and reset down until diagnostic lists comes up. I am hoping the viking works the same way however I still don't know how I could clear it. The manual only says it will clear once the problem is fixed and the bike is running for a bit.
    I've looked into buying the yamaha diagnostic tool, but no one stocks it and it is very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by trackboss View Post
    Long story short, I decided to label all the plugs under the hood. Doing so required removing the pins from the connectors so I could get the shrink labels on. When I finished I couldn't start the bike. Fault code 43 and do not hear the fuel pump. When I began the project I forgot to disconnect the battery so there is some chance something shorted. I started with the fuel system relay yet after that I realized I needed to disconnect the battery and did so. That is the only circuit that could have shorted. Anyway, I am getting power to the relay at the brown/black stripe wire, and when I put power to the red/blue stripe wire (that goes to both the fuel pump and backup light relay) I can hear the pump run, but it does sound quieter than before. I am suspecting the ecu is either not receiving the input that it needs or sending the signal to switch the relay on. Suppose it could also be a weak ground.
    I didn't have time to further diagnose. Are there any sensors that might be suspect in either the units themselves or their wiring. For example, does the lean angle sensor have to send a particular voltage signal to the ecu before the ecu will turn on the fuel pump relay?
    Also, how are fault codes cleared? I have the manual, but have not been able to locate directions to clear them.
    Any thoughts?
    thanks
    Do not worry about clearing the code until you have the machine running, eh? Loudness of the pump may not be an issue as it may be different when the injectors are running. Have you used a voltmeter to determine if you are getting voltage on the relay coil (bLue/Red wire) when the ignition is switched on?

You have apparently pulled the pins out and then reinstalled them on numerous connectors? Those pins usually have tiny little prongs that anchor them into the connector cavity. You have to collapse the prong to get the pin out, so it is possible that the prong is not retaining one or more of the pins in the fully seated location. If that is the case, then perhaps the pin got partially pushed back out when you pushed the connector halves back together. It might be a good idea to carefully look at the work that you did to make sure that everything is in place.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Soon as I have some time I plan on going through the whole thing. I really think it is something to do with the fuel pump circuit.

Spent nearly 8 hours going through wiring and everything I checked is sound. Didnt' go through every single circuit in the electrical system, but most all related to the fuel system. I suspect something is wrong with the ECU and it cannot see the voltage. I am considering purchasing a new ECU to try.
    I still find it very unusual that the fuel pump is almost silent even when I put direct 12v to it. It was never like that. Actually, it was quite loud in comparison.

UPDATE:
    As suspected, the ECU was at fault. Replaced with a new one and fired right up. Not sure why I thought the fuel pump was louder, but it's very quiet and everything runs well.