Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Signal Fuse Blows?

1st 10 amp fuse in fuse block keeps blowing, they re-fare it as the signal fuse. Don't have anything hooked into that fuse leg, do have a couple things coming off the hot on the ignition switch. Washed the bike 3 weeks ago and the digital dash went blank, thought something got wet rode the next week still blank replaced the 10 amp fuse as it was blown and ran for a bit and blow again? Any ideas? Everything else works good including the Hot rod X sheave. This bike is getting beat-up!!!!
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
    1st 10 amp fuse in fuse block keeps blowing, they re-fare it as the signal fuse. Don't have anything hooked into that fuse leg, do have a couple things coming off the hot on the ignition switch. Washed the bike 3 weeks ago and the digital dash went blank, thought something got wet rode the next week still blank replaced the 10 amp fuse as it was blown and ran for a bit and blow again? Any ideas? Everything else works good including the Hot rod X sheave. This bike is getting beat-up!!!!
    Yours is an early 450 ? Back around that same time, the 660s did not have digital dashes and it was an extra cost dealer installed option a bit down the road. I'm sort of vague on this, being so long ago, but you had to take 2 relays out in order to install the digital dash. The Plain Jane idiot light panel had wires going to each and every sensor to make the bulbs light up and relays to reroute signals when appropriate. I'm wondering if one or more of the relays might have been left in and got shorted out during the water episode?
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

3. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    Chase down the wire and every time it goes by an edge of the frame make sure wire did not get rubbed through. Sometimes critters chew in the craziest way. Make sure bulb sockets on that circuit not messed up so that they short. Just thoughts on finding the 'needle in the stack'
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

5. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Likes SteveS liked this post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned it's on the '08 700. Not sure what you mean by bulb sockets, it has no turn signals just what I read someplace that, that fuse slot was called the signal fuse? So you think wiring? It appeared that the digital counter continued to work even while the dash was blacked out. As we rode the 700 and 450 about 50 miles the other day and when the new fuse was installed it showed that mileage on the trip meter before it blow a 2nd time once I started riding again.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny G View Post
    Sorry, I should have mentioned it's on the '08 700. Not sure what you mean by bulb sockets, it has no turn signals just what I read someplace that, that fuse slot was called the signal fuse? So you think wiring? It appeared that the digital counter continued to work even while the dash was blacked out. As we rode the 700 and 450 about 50 miles the other day and when the new fuse was installed it showed that mileage on the trip meter before it blow a 2nd time once I started riding again.
    Oh, being on the 700 makes a big difference, I suppose. The "signal" fuse denotes the idiot light "signaling" function as it began way back when (overtemp, low gear, high gear, neutral, reverse gear, parking brake, 4WD, lock, etc.). The later digital dash now runs all of these functions and is powered by the "signal" circuit. The digital dash has a second power source which is called the "backup" fused circuit. This circuit is not shut down by the ignition key and serves to maintain the memory within the digital dash and the ECU. This terminology can be deceiving to us English speakers as it is not a "spare" fuse nor does it have anything to do with the backup lights circuitry. The digital dash will not function if it loses either of these power sources.

The fuse blowing could presumably be caused by a short in any of the sensor branch circuits, within the digital dash connections and within the ECU connections as well. Both the signal and the backup fuses are specified at 10 Amps, so it is a pretty significant power draw to blow the fuse. Since the circuit seems to work when you first replace the fuse, you might try replacing the fuse and then paying close attention to the dash while methodically putting the machine through each of the events that change the indicator light functions. That might give you a clue as to which subcircuit is involved in the failure.

The owners manual gives a listing of all of the signal functions on page 4.2. If you do not have a copy of it, here is the Yamaha download site:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...700fi_1507.pdf
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

8. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Still Shakin' the Cage 08Rhino450SE's Avatar
    Steve, I'm gonna vote for you for president in November. I enjoy the hell out of reading your posts.
    Don't understand half of what you say, but it runs like a spring thaw down the gulley.
    And there ain't nobody i know (but one other Steve) got half a brain to debate with you.
    Mountaineers are Always Free!

10. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Likes Kenny G liked this post
    Please excuse me if snuck away from the boob tube for a minute.
    my wife's out in the family room watching Jo-Jo rub dat ass on some fireplug lookin' dude

well i'm gonna skedaddle i think she's yellin for me again
    and the more i type, the more in trouble i get hehe

Quote Originally Posted by 08Rhino450SE View Post
    Steve, I'm gonna vote for you for president in November. I enjoy the hell out of reading your posts.
    Don't understand half of what you say, but it runs like a spring thaw down the gulley.
    And there ain't nobody i know (but one other Steve) got half a brain to debate with you.

All those "store-bought" words mesmerize you, huh???? =)
    08 700 ...

13. Likes SteveS liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwv View Post
    All those "store-bought" words mesmerize you, huh???? =)
    takes a degree and a lot of experience to be able to talk logic like that and explain things to people.
    wouldn't be surprised if he was behind a few multi-million dollar deals in his lifetime.
    wish i would have been taught more science in my edumacation years.

actually, since he and kenny are in the same time zone, i'm trying to trick SteveS by keeping him engaged long enough so he can converse with Kenny G when he gets off work.

sorry to jump the thread, Kenny.

15. Likes Kenny G, scottwv liked this post
    Thanks for the advice SteveS, the bike is on the mountain so it'll be this weekend before I can do the testing and see what I find. So would you guess it's a bare wire in one of the legs causing the issue? You've got my vote come November too........

Let'em Buck!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast