Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hmm! Time for a Can am Project post - Commander Long travel supension mods.

When I first bought my Commander I was not impressed with the suspension so I purchased a Turnkey LT kit. It was a prototype so I had my share of issues with it. The top "A" arms utilized 1/2" Hiems for the pivots and 1" uniball for ball joint. The problem is I am an aggressive driver and broke several Hiems and wore out many of the top uniballs in less than a year. So I decided to replace the 1/2" hiems with 3/4" and the 1" uniballs with 3" Ballistic uniballs. The first thing I need to do was to build a jig for the project. Once you start cutting things off you need to be able to put them back in the same place.

Here is the jig in the Mill cutting the old uniballs off. I use a 3" hole saw that match's the new uniball diameter

Here are the Ballistic joints

Uniball bolted in place ready for welding

2. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Welded up. I turned a slug in the lathe to zero fit the Id of the race to keep it from warping

Size difference

Ballistic uniballs dissasembled.

Chaper two will cover replacement of Hiem joints and frame mods to accomadate the much larger units.

4. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Kenny G liked this post
    nice!!!
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Nice looking work.

Sent from the drivers seat of my truck.

JBS 787, bored throttle body , +1ported head, JBS deshrowded valves,kibble white valve springs, muzzy exshaust,dynatek coil,TCP oil cooler, triple pass radiator,billit one steering rack,heavy duty steering tierods, heim joints,+6 long travel,tilt wheel, radius roll cage, JBS rear splash shield
    Bead lock wheels , bear claw tires , power steering

Nice work.
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

nice work is this yor hobby or profession? cool shit bro!
    Sent from my momma's basement

"The family Comfort Wagon"..JBS sheave, +6 LT w/kings, 4 seat cage w/3 twisted stitch seats

Damn,,, that's awesome!!!!
    2016 White Wolverine, JBS Sheave, 17gr, purple and slugged, 5000lb winch wired for ft and Rr. (I want this to go faster than my Rhino)

2007 Camo, 101 Wisco Piston, +4 Stroker Crank, Benchmark Head, +1, Stage 2 Hot Cam, 41 FCR Carb, Programable MSD, fuel pump relocation kit, Alba pump, Alba exhaust, JBS Sheave, 14gr, Orange, Slugs (lead), JBS Radiator Shields and Rear Mud Guard, Power Steering, RZR Seats, Pro One Doors, Bilstein Shocks, Hiper Beadlocks.

Definately heavy duty.
    Commander 1000
    Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Suzuki Ozark 250
    Suzuki 230
    F-250 6.0 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by ASPENDELLROVER View Post
    nice work is this yor hobby or profession? cool shit bro!

Nah! it's just my Hobby. I really enjoy doing these kinds of projects, making things from scratch or improving on some one else's designs. I suppose it's the Engineering background coming out and challenging me lol.

CHAPTER Two - Hiems

Ok, now to replace the 1/2" Heim's with 3/4" units. This part was a bit of a challenge as the tubing perimeter was not large enough to handle the Heim's. I also had to build pockets in the frame for them to fit, hence why Turnkey used the smaller 1/2" heim's.

Ends prepped for the new inserts. had to use the Plasma cutter to cut the resette welds out, talk about a pain.

Tapping the new inserts on the lathe. I made these out of solid 1 1/4" od 2018 I had in stock.

Milling the pocket flats

Inserts welded in. I ended up adding a filler channel to finish off the are where the insert is outside the tubing.

13. Likes 123.bert0621 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast