Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Trying to decide on using shim.

I have a 16 wolvy. Right now I have .75 shim on a stock sheave and the purple Eibach spring. I have read some on the shim rubbing the cover screws and rubbing the belt box when using the hot rod extreme sheave. My question is how much gain is there using the shim. I have been thinking about just leaving it out. Supposed to get Jbs sheave tomorrow. Any advice is appreciated. thanks
    2016 Wolverine
    Eibach purple spring
    Extreme Sheave 16 gram weights
    slugs
    28x14 Roctanes.
    2 in Highlifter
    YXZ seats

2. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I dare say that it will not knock you out of your socks. As James recently stated in the thread that you likely read, it makes up for the variation in component tolerances that vary from machine to machine. Link: http://hotrodforums.net/forums/showt...over-after-jbs

The thing to do is to avoid the belt rubbing on the outer CVT cover and/or the screws that hold the thin metal cap onto the primary sheave (grease barrier) that might beat on the metal cage surrounding the primary sheave.

I venture to say that it might only give you a few percent improvement. Be prepared to partially tear the CVT down a few times to attain perfection without any harm.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    I dare say that it will not knock you out of your socks. As James recently stated in the thread that you likely read, it makes up for the variation in component tolerances that vary from machine to machine. Link: http://hotrodforums.net/forums/showt...over-after-jbs

The thing to do is to avoid the belt rubbing on the outer CVT cover and/or the screws that hold the thin metal cap onto the primary sheave (grease barrier) that might beat on the metal cage surrounding the primary sheave.

I venture to say that it might only give you a few percent improvement. Be prepared to partially tear the CVT down a few times to attain perfection without any harm.
    Yes i read that thread and quite a few other ones before posting. So if I am understanding correctly the shim makes up tolerances. But just gives a little more bottom end? I am thinking about leaving it out.
    2016 Wolverine
    Eibach purple spring
    slugs
    28x14 Roctanes.
    2 in Highlifter
    YXZ seats

If you are the guy that is willing to do what it takes to beat another guy by a fender in a drag race for the bragging rights then try it. If doing some severe crawling, would help some. Normal riding probably not very noticeable for the few percentage points of lower gearing. The shim makes the gap between the sheaves wider so as the belt wears down you can/may remove shim to tighten the sheaves together and extend your belt life some----but a little more maintenance.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

6. Likes SteveS, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    If you are the guy that is willing to do what it takes to beat another guy by a fender in a drag race for the bragging rights then try it. If doing some severe crawling, would help some. Normal riding probably not very noticeable for the few percentage points of lower gearing. The shim makes the gap between the sheaves wider so as the belt wears down you can/may remove shim to tighten the sheaves together and extend your belt life some----but a little more maintenance.
    Ok thanks for the reply. I think I have a better understanding of how it works.
    2016 Wolverine
    Eibach purple spring
    slugs
    28x14 Roctanes.
    2 in Highlifter
    YXZ seats