Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Door plans and fender extentions

I know this question has been many times before, But here we go.

I would like to build myself some half doors for my Rhino.

Does anyone have set on plans?

What's the best material to go with and latches.

I have been looking for some fender extentions any ideals?
    Don't panic till you pull the bit through the mule's ass!
    2009 Yamaha 700 Rhino
    Big Gun Exhaust and Power box
    Dyotech ignition
    2 inch bracket lift
    Rhino axles
    30 x 10 x 14 Outback Max tires
    Wanting on JBS TO SEND ME SOME clutch goodies

I just copied the pro-one design . I used bear claw slam latches (off ebay) . I used 3/4 emp that I got out of a building we tore down...if I were to do another set , I would prob go with 1" tubing instead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0504.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	11064  
    08 700 ...

One of the members saw my post on another thread of my door skins and sent a PM to post more details so I hope he can find it here, I cannot find the other thread lol.
    I have a Rhino that I put some 4MM ACM composite material skins onto my OEM doors. The pics will show some detailing. I got some Tee nuts and some allen button head 1/4x20 SS bolts and fender washers for the plastic door side. I fabbed some drop in latches out of some aluminum storefront sections I had laying around, and tapped the cage to bolt the fixed side. The screw up I did, was I missed the cutout for the latch. So I made a little frame around the latch opening to hide the Gufffaw. The latches used the OEM screws is why they are rusted in pics. I used some automotive door edge moulding I got at Advance for $11 IIRC. I would encourage making a pattern from some stiff cardboard or luan paneling would be even better.

Name:	P2240033.JPG 
Views:	563 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	11077   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240001.JPG 
Views:	571 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	11078   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240003.JPG 
Views:	566 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	11079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240004.JPG 
Views:	531 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	11080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240005.JPG 
Views:	551 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	11081  

2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Did not know there was a five pic limit per post and apologize if extra work for monitors.
    Hope the pics help. Basically I just made a pattern and cut them out with a sabre saw and dressed edges with a file.
    I think I may get a buddy to wrap the door with a blackish film that comes closer to matching the OEM ghost flames that are on it, but it matches my wheels fairly close and has not hardly scratched with the limbs and stuff of trail riding. Have fun if this is what you want to do.

Name:	P2240007.JPG 
Views:	544 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	11082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240008.JPG 
Views:	549 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	11083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2240009.JPG 
Views:	539 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	11084  
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Those are awesome looking. I had actually thought about trying something like this but i did not think the stock doors would support the weight. What type of material did you use?

6. Thanks jimclemjr thanked for this post
    I agree about the weight, that is why I made the brackets at the back of the doors. I was not worried about the static weight but the dynamic weight when riding. There is enough slope in the hinges that when I operate the latch I pickup on the door and it is a one movement opening. I though about a spring latch but did not want to have to use two operations to open the door.
    The material I used is called ACM = Aluminum Composite Material or there is some called MCM which are both used as architectural building skin material. It is probably pretty pricey....mine was scrap left over from a big construction project..comes in 4 x 8 and maybe 5 x 10 sheets. It has a Kynar paint on the alum face (comes in many colors) and a plastic type core material and another alum skin on inside ( I painted that black). It comes in 4mm thick and 6 mm thick. 6 is about twice as heavy, the 4 probably weighs about a pound a square foot or less as a guess, and plenty sturdy for this application. As a point of reference my doors are 24" high and 39" at the longest point. If you go together with someone else you could have two sets out of whatever the cost is. Or as I did, you could use the rest of the sheet to make a roof (which takes 50" width on my rhino cage.)
    Hope this helps.

8. Thanks Rhino SE 66 thanked for this post
    Likes Rhino SE 66 liked this post
    Meant to say "sloppiness" in the hinges, my door moves vertically an inch or so at the end of the panel where I put the bracket. When I close it is rises over the slope and settles in to the notch.

10. Thanks Rhino SE 66 thanked for this post
    Likes Rhino SE 66 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    Did not know there was a five pic limit per post and apologize if extra work for monitors.
    Hope the pics help. Basically I just made a pattern and cut them out with a sabre saw and dressed edges with a file.
    I think I may get a buddy to wrap the door with a blackish film that comes closer to matching the OEM ghost flames that are on it, but it matches my wheels fairly close and has not hardly scratched with the limbs and stuff of trail riding. Have fun if this is what you want to do.
    Thank you very much! That would definitely help a lot.