Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  1

Rear break caliper

So I put new breaks on my 07 rhino the other day just trying to get ready for some riding a d I noticed my parking break wasn't work so I bought the rear pads the old ones was wore out any ways got the caliper loose and the old one out and the new ones in a nd. Put back none and they work fine when you push the pedal but still no park break so I took the center cover off and saw the cable the goes into the actual bake handle was. Separating from the metal you housing with the nuts on them
    Order a new cable put it on and still nothing looked at the caliper and looked at some on line I noticed that the pics on the caliper it self the cast piece the the cable goes threw before you actually hook it up the caliper is missing
    Now there 2 bolts the hold that pics on can I just up bolt it or do I need a new caliper
    If I need a new caliper how bad is it to bleed the brakes I have read a bunch of horror stories about having a hard time bleeding them

2. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Okay thanks I just know it seems like everything I read on line everyone was having a hard time and. I was like man if it's that bad. O don't know if. I even really want a parking brake lol

Yea mine's a 660

I bought a cheap brake bleeding kit from Harbor Freight and did my brakes by myself. Cheap and fairly easy. Just keep the main reservoir full while doing them. The parking brake is only activated by the parking brake cable and shouldn't effect the main braking system as far as needing to bleed your brakes, if I'm understanding you correctly. One of the bolts that holds the parking brake caliper together is how you adjust the parking brake on a 700 not sure if it's the same for a 660 but would think it might be.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

6. Thanks jd283 thanked for this post

There's a leg on the back of the caliper that cable goes threw before you hook it up to the caliper it's self there's 2 bolts that hold it on that caliper then a gasket I found just that part old if you take it off if you have to bleed the caliper or if I should. Just replace the who thing

Maybe this well help

06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

9. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post

In the top picture that the part that's broken off and gone on mine I found that whole piece on eBay but if I take it off am I going to loose fluid or should i just replace the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by mpdave391 View Post
    In the top picture that the part that's broken off and gone on mine I found that whole piece on eBay but if I take it off am I going to loose fluid or should i just replace the whole thing
    It looks like you'd be okay to replace the support leg and or the leg that swivels that the cable end attaches to and not have any need for bleeding the brake system. If you replace the whole parking/rear brake housing/caliper then you'd be removing and opening up the brake fluid line allowing air and fluid loss, you'd need to bleed the brake system if you go with the complete replacement. Looks like all the sites to the 660 manual under 'Rhino Forum General Discussion' are closed or have been moved. You might try looking at the Rhino 450 manual under the same place here, as the 450 and 660's both only have the single back brake that operates as the back brake and parking brake together. They suggest you replace the spring when replacing the pad on the park brake, Hot Rod probably has them in stock....

Let'em Buck!!!

12. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post