Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thermo switch check

Is there any way to check the thermos switch in a 07 rhino 660
    The p.o. had wired up the fans to a toggle switch and. I was. Kinda just wanting to make it an over ride switch but. I want to make sure the fans will kick on
    I have checked the fans they work put a jumper wire on the plug that connects to the thermo switch and it comes on so I'm guessing I need to make sure the thermo isn't bad

Just put an auto reset 30 amp inline circuit breaker instead of the thermo coupler. I did it to mine a few years back, it works fine I think Steve S. is the one who did the write up on that maybe he can repost or pm it to you . I would have to go out and look, i cant remember if i used a 20 or 30 amp

Okay thanks I'll shoot him a pm

Quote Originally Posted by mpdave391 View Post
    The p.o. had wired up the fans to a toggle switch and. I was. Kinda just wanting to make it an over ride switch but. I want to make sure the fans will kick on
    I have checked the fans they work put a jumper wire on the plug that connects to the thermo switch and it comes on so I'm guessing I need to make sure the thermo isn't bad
    A link with words to ponder:

http://hotrodforums.net/forums/showt...er-replacement

And a picture that is worth a thousand words? This is for a 660 but the "pouch" is the same for 450 and 700 models.

| I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

What typically fails that keeps the fan from kicking on
    If the part in the radiator or the part in the wiring harness

What typically fails that keeps the fan from kicking on
    If the part in the radiator or the part in the wiring harness
    You say that you put a jumper across the connector terminals of the radiator thermo switch pigtail of the wire harness? If the fan comes on then, the harness and components in the harness are fine. Do you have that connector plugged into the radiator thermo switch now? The fan will not turn on until the radiator is hot enough to trip the thermo switch, so be a bit patient. Unless you have a temperature gauge it is difficult to tell how hot the cooling system is.

You can test the thermo switch by taking it out of the radiator and testing it in a pan of near boiling water. Connect an ohmmeter across the switch terminals. You should see the meter display very near to Zero Ohms when the switch is closed. Put a cooking thermometer and the thermo switch into a pan of water on the stove, hanging in the water away from the bottom of the pan. Watch the ohmmeter while the water temperature is rising. I do not know the exact trip point that you should be seeing but it should be somewhere between 180 degrees F and 210 degrees F. If it does not trip when the water goes to a full boil (212 degrees F.) then replace the thermo switch. If it does trip at a temperature a bit lower than boiling, it is probably just fine. Post your trip temperature and ask if that is OK.

The thermal breaker passes electricity if the motor circuit is drawing current lower than the trip point. It will break the electrical flow if it is drawing too much current. It's function is to protect the wiring if there is a short or it protects the motor if the fan has a stick stuck in it and the motor does not turn. Your short across the connector shows that the thermo switch is probably OK. If the fan starts up but then shuts down very shortly afterward, the breaker probably needs to be replaced.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

Ok thanks