Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wire sizing chart

I am updating my posts in this thread. I had multiple different information sources and they did not really match. There are so many standards, each for a particular application, that it gets terribly confusing. This one seems pretty rational for our vehicle wiring. Note that there are 2 different Circuit Type columns; Non-Critical and Critical. This refers to the allowable voltage drop. Generally; lighting, electric motors, and the like can easily stand a 10% voltage drop (Non-Critical) and not be particularly noticeable. Electronics such as radios, amplifiers and the like are indeed sensitive to voltage drop and should be considered "Critical" loads.

These wire sizing guidelines are for the boating world and are pretty applicable to our usage where the wiring is more or less out in the open. If you bundle a lot of wires together and wrap them all up tight, it is a good idea to use the next size larger wire due to the extra heat build-up within the harness.

A nice wire sizing chart from Blue Sea that appears easy to use:

A link to the full sized presentation chart:

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/reso...on_chartlg.jpg
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

James this looks like a good post to sticky
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

3. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    Likes Mrs. Hot Rod liked this post
    Stuck =)

5. Thanks SteveS thanked for this post
    thanks Steve for all your help
    07 camo 660,yoshi duals,kms intake,dynatec cdi,jet kit, montana jack f&r winch mount,w/ warn xt40, 27" bighorns,2" lift, cab with summit heater,aux red top optima, 5 bad ass jrt's on board,itp ss 212s, jbs sheave,14 gr. wts,orange spring, 40 " led light bar, autometer guages,equus tach,innovate afm, jensen ms30 ,jbl 6.5s, elka stage 1 shocks, kenwood 2way radio, alpine ktp445u amp, led headlight mod,twisted stitch harnesses,pro1 doors, 60 amp alternator,power steering, pc925 battery

Hmmm! the chart appears to skewed somewhat. Here is how I typically size my wire and fusing:
    #6 - 60 Amps
    #8 - 40 Amps
    #10 - 30 Amps
    #12 - 20 Amps
    #14 - 15 Amps.
    #16 - 10 Amps

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Last edited by SteveS; 03-27-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added P.S.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Thank you so much, Steve!

I have really come to enjoy 12V simple wiring projects. I like the blinky lights. I like the LED light bars. I like batteries and dual battery banks. Two things have really surfaced as I have begun doing more 12V wiring on my buddies' wheelers.

1) I tend to over kill on chassis wiring for lights and stereo, commonly using 14AWG tinned wire where others normally would use 18AWG, maybe 16AWG if they accidentally had some laying around. But I like the 14 gauge tinned wire for our use as it keeps the voltage up at the device, and it generally looks macho compared to the 18 & 20 gauge stuff the OEMS use.

2) The other thing I have learned is that electric winches use way more power than many of my friends realize. I do nerdy things when I get bored like read specification sheets on different products. When I started reading winch motor loads versus current draws I was blown away.. Most winches we would commonly spec for a SxS off road vehicle are 4000lbs to 5000lbs capacity. No load, just running the drum in or out, those winches are drawing 30A or more. The amperage increases exponentially in that at maximum capacity such a winch is drawing well over 300A! Winch manufacturers [generally] supply #6 copper stranded wire to install these winches. I'm guessing they find that size wire is ok for the intended duty cycle of the winch and will be installed... get this new term...power transmission use. LoL
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

| Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast