Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 450 ???

So I have a bone stock 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 450. Long story, short - it's a hunting ATV. Where I hunted previously it more than met my needs. 3 years ago I moved, now hunting Mississippi Delta bluffs (very steep hills, mud, rocks, rough). The new place is large, ability to travel safely and comfortably at speed is more important than previously. Better mudding capability more important than previously (though I'm still not deliberately playing in mud holes).

Bike came stock with 25's (8x12's and 10x12's). Not looking to change factory steel wheels. How large of a tire can I run w/o rubbing on factory suspension (no lift).

Not a big fan of factory lifted suspension, do like upgraded suspension - lots of positive comments about Elka - anything else I should be looking at?

Planning on JSB clutch slug/sheave kits. Not a fan of loud aftermarket exhausts.

Thanks,

David

Elkas are badass

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

There are still a few 450 owners on here, and I'm sure they will tell you what they have done and how it works. I had one for a while. Put 26 mudlites on it with itp wheels 10 wide in front 12 wide in the rear. They hurt the performance of it some. Done the JBS clutch and a blue secondary spring. That put the power back like stock tires plus a little more. Done 42-43 on flat pavement vs 35 all stock. Uphill pulls were 4-5 mph better as far as what kind of speed it could hold. Best thing was it had the guts to spin the tires in mud and snow. Something it could never do before. Not a huge gain, but pretty good. There are people running big heavy tires on 450s and are happy, but I recommend staying with a 25 or a light weight 26 on some aluminum wheels. Start there and see what you think before you go sinking money in engine mods and high dollar shocks. The added power and gearing from the clutch will take you through rougher stuff than just running a big tire due to the ability to get them turning.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

4. Likes Chris liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hump View Post
    There are still a few 450 owners on here, and I'm sure they will tell you what they have done and how it works. I had one for a while. Put 26 mudlites on it with itp wheels 10 wide in front 12 wide in the rear. They hurt the performance of it some. Done the JBS clutch and a blue secondary spring. That put the power back like stock tires plus a little more. Done 42-43 on flat pavement vs 35 all stock. Uphill pulls were 4-5 mph better as far as what kind of speed it could hold. Best thing was it had the guts to spin the tires in mud and snow. Something it could never do before. Not a huge gain, but pretty good. There are people running big heavy tires on 450s and are happy, but I recommend staying with a 25 or a light weight 26 on some aluminum wheels. Start there and see what you think before you go sinking money in engine mods and high dollar shocks. The added power and gearing from the clutch will take you through rougher stuff than just running a big tire due to the ability to get them turning.

Much Appreciated!

David

Hell, I see now it says grizzly not Rhino. The grizzly should respond much more to the right mods than my Rhino did. Should be able to run a decent sized tire also, but I would run 25" bighorns if it were me.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator