Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Top speed with extreme sheave and slugged clutch?

I got to go for a spin after installing the wet slug kit, extreme sheave kit (purple spring and 19gr weights)...
    Pulls like a train in low and reverse.. top speed in low is 30 or so... Never tried to hit the limiter.
    In high range it starts hitting the limiter around 40-41 but will keep climbing to 45 and level off. Something I'm missing? I do have a windshield and stock tires(have 26's to out on but wanted to ride and see how it turned out). Before I could only get to 38 at the limiter.. I expected more. Did I miss something?

Thanks
    2012 Yamaha Rhino... Camo...
    Roof with soundbar
    52" lightbar
    folding windshield
    hood rack
    4500# winch
    Extreme sheave w/ purple spring 19gr OD weights
    Slugged clutch

Do you have an aftermarket cdi? Without one, there will still be a speed or rpm limiter that keeps you from higher speeds. A windshield will slow you down a couple mph too. Also, I'm thinking that I read somewhere that there was one year of the 700s that was programmed differently or something like that. The speedometer pic in my avatar was my old rhino 660 with the jbs sheave and an aftermarket cdi with no windshield on a level paved run (53mph).
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

Engine is entirely stock... Air filter could probably use a cleaning. Windshield, roof, light bar and hood rack...
    Roof with soundbar
    52" lightbar
    folding windshield
    hood rack
    4500# winch
    Slugged clutch

Ah, then your limiter will still kick in to slow you.
    2011 Commander XT 1000

2006 660 Special Edition (Sold)
    Had lots of neat stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by smiley View Post
    I got to go for a spin after installing the wet slug kit, extreme sheave kit (purple spring and 19gr weights)...
    Pulls like a train in low and reverse.. top speed in low is 30 or so... Never tried to hit the limiter.
    In high range it starts hitting the limiter around 40-41 but will keep climbing to 45 and level off. Something I'm missing? I do have a windshield and stock tires(have 26's to out on but wanted to ride and see how it turned out). Before I could only get to 38 at the limiter.. I expected more. Did I miss something?

Thanks
    on the 12s and 13s they will hit the limiter early.. you will have to pull the secondary spring out and put the stock back in for stock tires...rpms are higher with stock tires verses 26s
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

6. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    50 mph when its right..over greased will knock a couple off and so will a used belt
    James Davis
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419

8. Thanks Timmi thanked for this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    50 mph when its right..over greased will knock a couple off and so will a used belt
    I did re-use my belt... It still had some life left, according to your video. I also plan on using the 26's very soon.. just wanted to get it out and run it down the road. I don't think I over greased it. It really has a feel like it's changing gears from say 7-9 mph up to 11ish.. like it jumps up fast in high range...

I did notice when I spun the belt with the cover off it took a few RPM's to get the belt to start to move... I assumed that was the purple spring holding it in low a little longer. What say you?

Overall I am satisfied with the clutch engagement with the slugs.. there is definately no lag in that department.
    Roof with soundbar
    52" lightbar
    folding windshield
    hood rack
    4500# winch
    Slugged clutch

sounds like a wore wet clutch maybe..shouldnt take hardly any gas to move sheaves in neutral
    James Davis
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419

You need a cdi. I got faster than that a few times, but this is flat out running with 26" on my old rhino.
    2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec SE. 12" double row LED's from Flimmy, Warn Vantage 3000, SSV works audio system.......I need to add more parts!!!!!

12. Likes rodneygt liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WV Hot Rod Rhino View Post
    sounds like a wore wet clutch maybe..shouldnt take hardly any gas to move sheaves in neutral
    Maybe I said that wrong... The clutch engagement is immediate. It took a few RPMs to make the belt rise in the secondary... Like the spring was holding it longer.
    Roof with soundbar
    52" lightbar
    folding windshield
    hood rack
    4500# winch
    Slugged clutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast