Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

DIY "cheap" enclosure

in the process now of finishing up a cheap enclosure for the Viking since the last few booze cruises have been pretty dam cold and windy going across those wide open fields. Havent kept to good of track of what i got in it so far but the enclosure part of it should be less than $40 - $50 with the clear vinyl (around $20), tarp style grommets ( think i have 3 packs of 10 for $5 a pack) some heavy duty velcro squares ( around $10 worth) and some small round magnets i already had laying around for some reason. (everything from Walmart fabric department)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171210_152241 (3).jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	12372

Also picked up a buddy heater that fits perfect in the center of the floorboard to give it some heat in there .....$69 at TSC but i also got the 12' hose $26 and filter $10 so i can strap a 20lb propane take in the bed and run off of it instead of those little green pound propane tanks. The buddy heater has a tip sensor in it which was pretty simple to open it up to find it and eliminate by unhooking and putting the 2 wires together. It didnt take much of a tilt for it to kick out the flame so i figured that little safety feature had to go if it was going to work while bouncing around the fields and woods. Plan is to put it in the center floorboard with some good heavy duty velcro and then the carrying handle up top pulls up tight against the bottom of the dash where the little cubby hole is at. The handle wedged up in there puts a good bit of pressure on it so figure if i pop a couple small holes in that cubby hole and strap lock that handle solid the thing shouldnt move...... if it does then i will just rig up a more solid mount for the bottom instead of the velcro which i think will work fine. Since it will be partially under that plastic dash i made a little heat shield over the top of the buddy heater to push the heat out more towards the front instead of the way it was wanting to go straight up from the top of it.

Name:	20171210_161110 (3).jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	12373

Name:	Screenshot_20171212-102200 (4).jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	12374

The plan is for it all to strap lock to the roll bar nice and simple with with magnets between the 2 sections to be able to get in and out but may need to add velcro too if magnets are not strong enough, just have to see when i take it out for a spin. Then use a little velcro to attach it to the door at the bottom. definitely will not be super air tight but as long as it blocks the biggest part of the wind and works like i am hoping it will i will be happy. will get some more pics once i get it all finished up and on the Viking hopefully tonight.
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

I have the same heater, never thought about disabling the tilt sensor.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

its simple..... 2 little screws at the bottom and 2 at the top of it to remove the back cover then the tilt sensor is little black thing mounted to the bottom on the right with 2 wires going to it. pop them off and hook them together and throw some tape on them and your done. Once i get it all done and mounted in there i may try and make some kind of little hood deal off of that heat shield i made for the top to grab some of that hot air and have a little 12v fan of some kind with a tube or hose to try and route it up as a defrost for the windshield but that will be another beer night out in the garage. By the time its all said and done it will probably be some kind of forced air all around deal....... i have enough room above that heater to make a fairly good sized hood deal to capture the heat and the 12v plug is right beside it so shouldn't be too hard to rig up something with a metal break and some basic heating duct work material to route it and fan to force it where i want it. Went this route since it will be instant heat and not have to wait till the viking warms up plus can pop it out and use it anywhere else that i may need a little heat outside.
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

Quote Originally Posted by walkntall View Post
    its simple..... 2 little screws at the bottom and 2 at the top of it to remove the back cover then the tilt sensor is little black thing mounted to the bottom on the right with 2 wires going to it. pop them off and hook them together and throw some tape on them and your done. Once i get it all done and mounted in there i may try and make some kind of little hood deal off of that heat shield i made for the top to grab some of that hot air and have a little 12v fan of some kind with a tube or hose to try and route it up as a defrost for the windshield but that will be another beer night out in the garage. By the time its all said and done it will probably be some kind of forced air all around deal....... i have enough room above that heater to make a fairly good sized hood deal to capture the heat and the 12v plug is right beside it so shouldn't be too hard to rig up something with a metal break and some basic heating duct work material to route it and fan to force it where i want it. Went this route since it will be instant heat and not have to wait till the viking warms up plus can pop it out and use it anywhere else that i may need a little heat outside.
    I love the creativity ha. You might want to try a test run on that before investing a lot of time....depending on where you get your propane sometimes they have high moisture in them and make a lot of humidity when it burns. So direct exhaust may create frost on inside of the window if cold enough. You may want to try an indirect furnace that takes forced air from motion and routes thru a furnace 'hood' and ducted up to windshield. Just food for thought.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

5. Likes 08Rhino450SE liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimclemjr View Post
    I love the creativity ha. You might want to try a test run on that before investing a lot of time....depending on where you get your propane sometimes they have high moisture in them and make a lot of humidity when it burns. So direct exhaust may create frost on inside of the window if cold enough. You may want to try an indirect furnace that takes forced air from motion and routes thru a furnace 'hood' and ducted up to windshield. Just food for thought.
    this filter they sell for it that screws in the heater and then the line is supposed to take out any moisture, oil or flakes of whatever may be in the big tank. it will be trial and error for sure..... we have plenty of cold days yet to come and the store down the road always has 30pks of Busch Light on the shelf so reserch and development sessions are no problem lol
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

7. Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    Ended up fitting pretty good but magnets are not quite strong enough to hold the flap shut at all times. I was a little iffy on them being strong enough but its what i had at the time and may end up ordering some stronger ones and swapping them out but for now i just put little dots of velcro between the spots where the magnets are at and works good. Strap locks through the grommets and around the roll bar makes it pretty simple to put on and holds in place pretty good but since roll bar is round it dont hold super tight like i want it to so i may end up running a strip of black gorilla tape along the edge to the roll bar just to be on the safe side if i take it somewhere on a trailer with it on so i dont have to readjust it when i get there.

For no more than i have in it compared to price of a bought one im pretty happy with the way it ended up. Still gotta secure the heater in there but will get that done tonight. Plan on getting some JBS doors on it so i didnt want to have a bunch in something that may end up being used for only 1 winter so this was the cheapest route to go.

Name:	20171212_211334 (2).jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	12376Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171212_211346 (2).jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	12377Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171212_211356 (2).jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	12378
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar