Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

New Winch and a Senior moment

I am going riding next week and was finishing the setup of my new Winch. The manufacturer recommends to completely unwind and reel back in with a load before use so that first time winchling does not cause line entanglement. Good advice. So I hooked up the winch to a post and coasted back down my 10 degree sloped yard to get all the rope out. Then I set my brake, got out, hooked up my winch remote and watched the winch and guided the rope intake with gloves as I controlled the remote and took in the rope. I noticed the winch seemed to be a little slower than expected and that it seemed to be struggling a little and thinking that I hope I do not have to take it off and deal with some issue. Finally about six feet from the end the senior moment was over and I released the hand brake and took up the last little bit of rope. Yep never took off the brake, drug the Wolv rear tires all the way almost to the end. But it has been drizzling so no significant grass damage and now I have strong confidence in the new winch. lol
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Just change the thread title to " How to field test your new winch"
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

hahaha....probably something I would have done.
    Redneck Crazy - 2017 Teryx4 LE , 4" portals , cage chop , arched A arms , 32x10x14 pro armor crawler xg , sti hd beadlocks , winch bumper , 5,000# winch , custom snorkels.

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    hahaha....probably something I would have done.
    Agreed! That’s exactly what I did when I got my new warn winch installed. I wanted to make sure it would pull me out if I got stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably did yourself a favor. by having the extra drag it did a much better job of setting the line.