Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winch fuse

Ammeter

SteveS- even though my mental skill sets do not seem to follow always follow the numbers, I understand the principles and appreciate the explanation. I assume the two little screws on the shunt would be for leads to the meter?
    As a sidebar -I will have to go to my file to check what my Viper winch duty rating and amp rating is, if they give it in data, but their website says only that the operation should be cycles of 30 seconds on/60 seconds off. That seems fairly healthy.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

Winch fuse

Quote Originally Posted by 09RhinoAZ View Post
    Just so there is no confusion to someone reading this thread about the amp draw of the Superwinch Terra 4500, from their website.

http://www.superwinch.com/p/terra-45...-4-500-lbs-12v

Line Pull: 0 lbs 21 Amps Motor Draw / 15.0 FPM (4.6 MPM) Line Speed
    Line Pull: 4,500 lbs 178 Amps Motor Draw / 5.5 FPM (1.7 MPM) Line Speed

And, yes, Superwinch does appear to use a circuit breaker with all of their winches in the Terra series
    http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...4398/14474.pdf

This provides a little more info. Not sure why superwinch also provides wire that isn't rated for 178amps. This is a pdf of the paperwork that comes with the terra45. I also had an LT series superwinch that also came with a breaker.

I have a teryx4. It weighs 1600lbs. Add 8 gallons of gas, a 6'6" 280lb man, and gear. I have drug that load across a concrete driveway with all 4 wheels locked trying to pull a stump. Never tripped a 100a breaker. I have also drug many logs on my property that weighed more than my machine.

And here's a picture of the breaker they ship with them.

Sorry if I have confused anyone. I have a difficult time putting what's in my head onto paper. Just a simple working man that knows what works in my world.

Best of luck to you guys. I appreciate all the info and have learned a little about electrical systems and a lot about people. However, I'm still sticking to the manufacturers recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by a_tack View Post
    http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...4398/14474.pdf

This provides a little more info. Not sure why superwinch also provides wire that isn't rated for 178amps. This is a pdf of the paperwork that comes with the terra45. I also had an LT series superwinch that also came with a breaker.

I have a teryx4. It weighs 1600lbs. Add 8 gallons of gas, a 6'6" 280lb man, and gear. I have drug that load across a concrete driveway with all 4 wheels locked trying to pull a stump. Never tripped a 100a breaker. I have also drug many logs on my property that weighed more than my machine.

And here's a picture of the breaker they ship with them.

Sorry if I have confused anyone. I have a difficult time putting what's in my head onto paper. Just a simple working man that knows what works in my world.

Best of luck to you guys. I appreciate all the info and have learned a little about electrical systems and a lot about people. However, I'm still sticking to the manufacturers recommendations.
    That circuit breaker is very similar to what they ship with the Badland winch I bought. It's blame as you have to wrap it in electrical tape to keep shorting out on the frame or some other grounding point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234