Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawnh View Post
    Great honest write up --- thanks for sharing. I have had 2 Rangers and they did everything I wanted them to do. Really good machines
    Thanks for reading all my ramblings.

An honest review is always the best review. Unfortunately, such an honest review is hard to come by these days when so many reviewers suckle the corporate teet. It's either reviewers who won't say anything negative about a product because of a backdoor sponsorship, or it's reviewers with little real world experience trying to talk about a product they've spend minimal time holding. They're essentially saying, "It feels good in the hand." LOL!!!

I'm not the definitive authority on Polaris Rangers. Mine continues to be fun, but it hasn't been perfect. I can admit that.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

2. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Ranger 900 Long Term Update

The SuperATV RackBoss steering rack was starting to get sloppy. The internal teflon bushing showed wear within 1,000 miles. The majority of those miles were running 27" tires. I replaced the RackBoss with an OEM steering rack. The picture below shows the bushing. Note the lower left section of the bushing how the teeth of the steering rack have worn away bushing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worn Bushing.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	13163

My front AWD gearcase was leaking fluid out of the front pinion seal. While I had my front end disassembled for work to the steering, I pulled the front gearcase for inspection. I found play in the pinion bearing. Removing the gearcase pinion seal revealed (another!) bearing spacer/retainer come loose. I'm not sure what the proper term is for the plastic clip that evenly spaces the ball bearings, but that part was dislodged. The ball bearings were free to move about inside the race causing some loud marbling noises in the driveline. I clipped the retainer back into place and noticed the slop in the bearing tightened up and the marbling noise went away when manually rotating the pinion gear. Nonetheless, I went ahead and replaced the pinion bearing with a new bearing.

Name:	Pinion.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	13164

I took the family out for a ride and to give the Ranger a test with the new front end parts. The new steering felt great. I suppose you don't realize how numb the steering is until you install new parts. The Ranger drives and tracks well.

Name:	side view 1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	84.4 KB 
ID:	13165
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

4. Likes scottwv liked this post
    Chris, are you considering getting rid of those 'polaris clothes' in your sig yet with the new wolverines out there?
    2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec SE. 12" double row LED's from Flimmy, Warn Vantage 3000, SSV works audio system.......I need to add more parts!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NickH View Post
    Chris, are you considering getting rid of those 'polaris clothes' in your sig yet with the new wolverines out there?
    Yes, I really like the new X2! I am eager to see one in person.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S

7. Likes NickH liked this post
    they are smaller than most people think. less cabin room than your Ranger and less top speed but less maintenance also

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Yes, I really like the new X2! I am eager to see one in person.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12