Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Trickle charger???

I want to hook up a trickle charger to the battery in my Rhino. I have heard it's a bad idea to charge the battery with a standard charger with it wired into the Rhino because you can blow the digital display. With that in mind can I use a battery maintainer like a battery tender while the battery is installed? I want to run the pigtail out the side so I don't have to raise the rack and hood all the time.
    Thanks
    2012 Yamaha Rhino... Camo...
    Roof with soundbar
    52" lightbar
    folding windshield
    hood rack
    4500# winch
    Extreme sheave w/ purple spring 19gr OD weights
    Slugged clutch

2. Likes Kenny G liked this post
    I have a trickle charger hooked to my viking most of winter and no issues.... rang plug end out grill and strap locked it in place
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit
    Black & Gray YXZ seats
    JBS Doors
    Lots More Planned...

4. Likes smiley liked this post
    I do and have since the machine was new, have not had any issues. In fact my Rhino is running the original battery from '12. Probably gonna shit the bed now that I've said that, oh well. I have been using Battery tender on mine. Good luck.
    '12/700, 26" Bighorns, custom made rockrings welded to stock wheels, 3" Xtreme lift, Warn RT 2500 lb. Winch, Big gun Exo exhaust, UNI filter system, custom self built Molly cage, 5 point RCI harness, Hi-lift utv Jack, HID headlight kit, 4 Anzo HID lights across the top, piaa up front, JBS stage 2 Extreme sheave with 17 gram od. Purple spring And slug kit,Cobra dx lV CB with firestik ll antenna, 2" front wheel spacers and 2 Kolpin 1.5 gallon cans at the rear

6. Likes smiley liked this post

I ruined an AGM battery last winter placing it on a regular battery maintainer. The guy at the battery shop showed me a nicer maintainer that was selectable between regular batteries and pulse charging for AGM's. The one I got there is called Genius G1100 from Noco, and it works great.
    On my new Kodiak I wanted to easily charge it so I rewired the power port to be connected to the battery instead of ignition. I went down and bought the car port accessory GC003 for the charger, and now I just plug it in when it's stored.
    https://www.battsys.com/noco-g1100-6...iABEgJD2vD_BwE
    https://www.cpooutlets.com/noco-gc00...iABEgLM5fD_BwE

8. Likes jimclemjr liked this post
    Have used a maintainer on both Rhinos for years in the cold azz state of Wyoming and no problems with the digitals and always have a strong charge on the batteries. The '06 OME battery stayed good until just a few years ago.
    06/450: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod Sheave/12gr OD's; Blue Spring; 04 Style/KN Air; Dyna CDI; Axia Exhaust Tip; 3" Lift; Sport Shocks; 27X14 Mudlite XTR's; Warn 2500#

08/700: Rhino; JBS Hot Rod X-Sheave/16gr OD's/Slugged; Purple Spring; Alba TB; Raptor HotCam; MSD/JBS-Map; Yoshimura Duals; Pro One Doors; LSR MTS; LSR Front & Back Supports; Ricochet Skids; Elka 4's; RackZilla/PS: 26X12 Pitbull Growlers; Camoplast T4S; Viper 4500#; Trail Bright LEDs.
    Let'em Buck!!!

I ruined a good AGMs last winter with a cheap maintainer as well. Since then I have noticed that the Battery Tender gets some good reviews on the forums. This winter I have wired in a pigtail and hook up the charger/maintainer once a month for overnight. Batteries are doing great that way. I have one AGM and OEM with a switch that I can maintain individually. I have my Wolv in a semi-heated garage, if I was in an unheated barn that got very cold, I would do more to make sure the battery was at peak in severe cold spells.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust