Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  27

2018 Spring Ride prep list / ride rules

Hey guys it's ride time again and I hope everyone is checking over your machines and getting everything buttoned up 100% so we aren't working on machines all day, and we have a nice ride.

This has been compiled over the years all the way back from Bobby D so throw in your comments on what you think needs added, reworded, taken out or whatever.

JBS Hot Rod & WV SxS Riders forum ride help.
    This document is meant to help you get ready for the ride prior to the ride dates as well as what to expect during the ride as well. Some of this will seem basic to us but it is meant to help first time group riders all the way up to people who have ridden with groups for years.

Prior to attending
    There are several things that need checked on your vehicle before you come to the trails to ride this list is not limited to only checking these items but is a very good place to start

1. Check and grease all suspension components. There can be some rough spots on the trail that will work your suspension hard tightness and grease will help you keep your rig rolling the whole ride with no problems. Plus, it’s hard to drag people out who’s wheels are laying back on the trail. Check all ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering racks.
    2. Check and top off all fluids (engine oil, coolant, diff fluid,...). As simple as it sounds you can save yourself a lot of trouble by catching this before you leave and taking care of it then. Finding that you ran your engine out of oil 15 miles from the camp site is “less than ideal” to say the least.
    3. Fuel for your vehicle. There might be stops to get fuel but you will need a full tank to get to those places when leaving from the camp. If your vehicle runs on race fuel you may want to pack in all you will use or bring an additive to run regular fuel in your engine
    4. Tire condition and pressures. Check your tires for ample tread along with checking them for signs of dry rot/splitting. Properly inflated tires save from pinching the sidewall on rocks and roots and can end your day early. General rule is 14 PSI MINIMUM. NO 12 is not enough! If you have a spare tire bring it along at least to the camp ground.
    5. Electronics general condition. This involves making sure your charging system is able to keep up with any and all draw you will have from running radio’s, lights, winches and anything else. Also make sure that any little “wiring tidying up” projects are not overlooked.
    6. General maintenance. I like to make sure my oil is changed, clutches serviced, suspension greased and air filter cleaned and so on before I go. I know this is covered in some of the above but it doesn’t hurt to double check.
    7. Gear for all weather. Bring clothing/gear for yourself that accounts for any and all weather that could come in that time of year. We pretty much ride rain or shine so rain gear, pants, coats, shorts and all that you think you will need.
    8. Safety equipment. This involves checking your seat belts, doors, helmets and everything you feel the need to have. While NONE of this is required on the “Outlaw Trails” where we ride it is at the drivers/riders discretion to have the safety equipment and gear that they feel most comfortable riding with.

Thing to check the day of the ride.
    1. Check fluids. I know I mentioned this in the last section but you could have used up some fluids during day 1’s ride and they need topped off again. Better to top them off again than need them out on trail.
    2. Tires. At least a visual inspection if not a pressure check is good. You could have pinched a sidewall or got dirt/rocks/anything stuck between the tire and the wheel and leaked down overnight.
    3. Gear/clothing. Make sure you have the gear and clothing that you will need to be comfortable through the entire day (morning to night). Uncontrollable circumstances could cause us to arrive back at camp later than expected and in weather that changes throughout the day.
    4. Check your fuel level and don't forget to top off for the second day.

What to expect during the ride.
    The trails we will be on range from flat smooth dirt/gravel and paved roads to rutted and rocky paths. They are fun trails but by no means “extreme” and should be just fine for most riders. The time we depart on the ride varies but it’s generally by 10 am and returning late afternoon/early evening times. We usually meet at the entrance to Skyline resort and line up to get everyone ready to go. The amount of miles traveled per day also varies but expect about 50 miles per day. We normally end up stopping for lunch somewhere around mid-day. While out on the ride we ask that everyone stay together in the group. If for some reason you need to separate from the group, make sure you let people know so we don’t end up looking for lost people who are not actually lost. While riding in the group here are a few rules to make it better for everyone.
    1. At every trail intersection please WAIT for the vehicle behind you so that they know where the group turned. This is the biggest cause of people getting lost as this trail system is quite large and can be confusing.
    2. Keep the vehicle in front of you fairly close (about 100 ft is the max you want to be). If there gets to be a lot of space between you and the people in front of you then they have to wait at the next intersection. That causes a space between them and the person in front of them and it make a mess of things. Don’t be the person that causes the whole ride to go slow waiting on you.
    3. If you have a problem, please pull to the side and flag someone down. DO NOT block the trail.

In the evenings everyone hangs out around different cabins/camp sites after they eat dinner and clean up. So roam around and get to know some people. You will have a chance to talk to them on the trails some also but not near as much.

2018 ADD ON.
    This is so simple and always such a huge problem. DO NOT LEAVE THE PERSON BEHIND YOU. EVER! REAR VIEW MIRRORS ARE REQUIRED. If you don't have one and are unable to watch the person following you, expect to be at the rear where you can't leave anyone.
    Make sure your radiator is clean, clear and working properly. I suggest JBS guards for all machines. At least clean it daily.
    Hand held radios are highly recommended. If you have a problem they are good to have plus you can hear what else is going on and what to expect ahead. We use Ch 3. Please limit radio chatter to ride communications. Believe it or not no-one wants to hear Freebird playing on your radio through your two way radio. Also make sure your two way is secure and you aren't sitting on the button.
    Whenever the group stops on the trail ALWAYS PULL TO THE RIGHT. There may be oncoming traffic that needs to pass or flaggers at the rear who need to get back to the front.
    Pack out what you pack in. DO NOT THROW TRASH ON THE TRAILS. THAT INCLUDES BEER CANS.
    LIMIT the drinking until we are back at skyline safe and sound. Also we are able to drink on skyline's property but you can not bring outside drinks inside or on the deck. It's is against liquor code. DO NOT DO IT PERIOD!
    We plan to continue rides at Skyline resort for years to come. Treat their property with respect.

If anyone has anymore suggestions throw them in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chilly2031 View Post
    Hey guys it's ride time again and I hope everyone is checking over your machines and getting everything buttoned up 100% so we aren't working on machines all day, and we have a nice ride.

This has been compiled over the years all the way back from Bobby D so throw in your comments on what you think needs added, reworded, taken out or whatever.

JBS Hot Rod & WV SxS Riders forum ride help.
    This document is meant to help you get ready for the ride prior to the ride dates as well as what to expect during the ride as well. Some of this will seem basic to us but it is meant to help first time group riders all the way up to people who have ridden with groups for years.

Prior to attending
    There are several things that need checked on your vehicle before you come to the trails to ride this list is not limited to only checking these items but is a very good place to start

1. Check and grease all suspension components. There can be some rough spots on the trail that will work your suspension hard tightness and grease will help you keep your rig rolling the whole ride with no problems. Plus, it’s hard to drag people out who’s wheels are laying back on the trail. Check all ball joints, tie rod ends, and steering racks.
    2. Check and top off all fluids (engine oil, coolant, diff fluid,...). As simple as it sounds you can save yourself a lot of trouble by catching this before you leave and taking care of it then. Finding that you ran your engine out of oil 15 miles from the camp site is “less than ideal” to say the least.
    3. Fuel for your vehicle. There might be stops to get fuel but you will need a full tank to get to those places when leaving from the camp. If your vehicle runs on race fuel you may want to pack in all you will use or bring an additive to run regular fuel in your engine
    4. Tire condition and pressures. Check your tires for ample tread along with checking them for signs of dry rot/splitting. Properly inflated tires save from pinching the sidewall on rocks and roots and can end your day early. General rule is 14 PSI MINIMUM. NO 12 is not enough! If you have a spare tire bring it along at least to the camp ground.
    5. Electronics general condition. This involves making sure your charging system is able to keep up with any and all draw you will have from running radio’s, lights, winches and anything else. Also make sure that any little “wiring tidying up” projects are not overlooked.
    6. General maintenance. I like to make sure my oil is changed, clutches serviced, suspension greased and air filter cleaned and so on before I go. I know this is covered in some of the above but it doesn’t hurt to double check.
    7. Gear for all weather. Bring clothing/gear for yourself that accounts for any and all weather that could come in that time of year. We pretty much ride rain or shine so rain gear, pants, coats, shorts and all that you think you will need.
    8. Safety equipment. This involves checking your seat belts, doors, helmets and everything you feel the need to have. While NONE of this is required on the “Outlaw Trails” where we ride it is at the drivers/riders discretion to have the safety equipment and gear that they feel most comfortable riding with.

Thing to check the day of the ride.
    1. Check fluids. I know I mentioned this in the last section but you could have used up some fluids during day 1’s ride and they need topped off again. Better to top them off again than need them out on trail.
    2. Tires. At least a visual inspection if not a pressure check is good. You could have pinched a sidewall or got dirt/rocks/anything stuck between the tire and the wheel and leaked down overnight.
    3. Gear/clothing. Make sure you have the gear and clothing that you will need to be comfortable through the entire day (morning to night). Uncontrollable circumstances could cause us to arrive back at camp later than expected and in weather that changes throughout the day.
    4. Check your fuel level and don't forget to top off for the second day.

What to expect during the ride.
    The trails we will be on range from flat smooth dirt/gravel and paved roads to rutted and rocky paths. They are fun trails but by no means “extreme” and should be just fine for most riders. The time we depart on the ride varies but it’s generally by 10 am and returning late afternoon/early evening times. We usually meet at the entrance to Skyline resort and line up to get everyone ready to go. The amount of miles traveled per day also varies but expect about 50 miles per day. We normally end up stopping for lunch somewhere around mid-day. While out on the ride we ask that everyone stay together in the group. If for some reason you need to separate from the group, make sure you let people know so we don’t end up looking for lost people who are not actually lost. While riding in the group here are a few rules to make it better for everyone.
    1. At every trail intersection please WAIT for the vehicle behind you so that they know where the group turned. This is the biggest cause of people getting lost as this trail system is quite large and can be confusing.
    2. Keep the vehicle in front of you fairly close (about 100 ft is the max you want to be). If there gets to be a lot of space between you and the people in front of you then they have to wait at the next intersection. That causes a space between them and the person in front of them and it make a mess of things. Don’t be the person that causes the whole ride to go slow waiting on you.
    3. If you have a problem, please pull to the side and flag someone down. DO NOT block the trail.

In the evenings everyone hangs out around different cabins/camp sites after they eat dinner and clean up. So roam around and get to know some people. You will have a chance to talk to them on the trails some also but not near as much.

2018 ADD ON.
    This is so simple and always such a huge problem. DO NOT LEAVE THE PERSON BEHIND YOU. EVER! REAR VIEW MIRRORS ARE REQUIRED. If you don't have one and are unable to watch the person following you, expect to be at the rear where you can't leave anyone.
    Make sure your radiator is clean, clear and working properly. I suggest JBS guards for all machines. At least clean it daily.
    Hand held radios are highly recommended. If you have a problem they are good to have plus you can hear what else is going on and what to expect ahead. We use Ch 3. Please limit radio chatter to ride communications. Believe it or not no-one wants to hear Freebird playing on your radio through your two way radio. Also make sure your two way is secure and you aren't sitting on the button.
    Whenever the group stops on the trail ALWAYS PULL TO THE RIGHT. There may be oncoming traffic that needs to pass or flaggers at the rear who need to get back to the front.
    Pack out what you pack in. DO NOT THROW TRASH ON THE TRAILS. THAT INCLUDES BEER CANS.
    LIMIT the drinking until we are back at skyline safe and sound. Also we are able to drink on skyline's property but you can not bring outside drinks inside or on the deck. It's is against liquor code. DO NOT DO IT PERIOD!
    We plan to continue rides at Skyline resort for years to come. Treat their property with respect.

If anyone has anymore suggestions throw them in.

We put out a bunch of GNCC arrows this weekend. When you come to an intersection look for the Red arrow signs. We didn't get them all, but did get a lot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

thanks to everyone helping me get my wolvy ready for the ride and for clearing some debris from the trails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_175136.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	180.4 KB 
ID:	12930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_132741.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	12931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_165236.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	12932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_170748.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	12933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180421_150409.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	12934

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

4. Likes flimmy, WV Hot Rod Rhino, dealer6 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by GETERDUN View Post
    We put out a bunch of GNCC arrows this weekend. When you come to an intersection look for the Red arrow signs. We didn't get them all, but did get a lot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Sweet. It's hard to block every turn. It's especially hard to get from the back to the front on my big ass machine.

6. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Here is something that is good to know. If you want to run fast and hard, just get near the back. The back is crazy at times because of the rubberband effect. A much more steady pace happens near the front. It is very important to stay right with the one in front of you, so if he is running like hell to catch up, so are you. This has gotten a lot better over the last few rides though.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

Quote Originally Posted by chilly2031 View Post
    Sweet. It's hard to block every turn. It's especially hard to get from the back to the front on my big ass machine.

I have some marker flags I got from rural king (man what a candy store LOL). I did some testing on my rhino by gorilla taping one to my front bumper and riding at high speed for 5 or 6 miles it held up well. Thought of bringing them for every one on the ride to put on there machine so we all know who is in the group. I have some little larger red ones for those who want to be turn markers. I will bring flags,gorilla tape.zip ties,etc. What is everyones thoughts on this idea. If this could work out I could if no one all ready has look into a JBS flag for future rides. Any thoughts or ideas negative or positive are welcome LOL.

9. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, scottwv, Hump liked this post
    Some last minute preparation for the spring ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

11. Likes Timmi, keeter, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by buckg2 View Post
    Some last minute preparation for the spring ride.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I remember that stuff
    2015 Viking EPS SE
    KFI Stealth 4500s
    KFI 72" Open Trail Plow
    SuperATV Flip Up Windshield
    SuperATV Side Mirrors
    Seizmik Soft Rear Window
    IR Backup Camera
    42" LED Light Bar
    JBS Extreme Sheave
    JBS Slug Kit