Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Motor let go at 600 Miles

2015 Yamaha Viking VI with 600 miles and the motor let go. Is this normal? I don't know if I should fix it or send it down the road as is and get something different. I will start that I bought it in October of 16 for hunting trip worked great a little under powered but work great. Next time I used it up in the hills and got High Center and while I was out of it getting hooked up to pull it off it overheated with steam blowing out of the resavoir. At that time realized the fan was not working and checked the fuss and it looked good. So I let it cool and limped it down the hill to the truck in the dark by coasting most of the way. Took it into service and they said the fan wiring harness came unplugged and they refilled the antifreeze and said it was all good. I took it back up and didn't even make it 3 miles and it overheated so once again coasted most of the way back down to the truck. Took it back and they said it had a blown head gasket and fixed it under warranty. At that time I had them install 27" tires and a Moose Racing Power Commondar. I mentioned to them I was worried about it causing damage to the motor but they said it was no big deal. Now when I brought it in the same service guy agrees that it must have been from it over heating but sorry its out of warranty. What to do

What do you mean it "let go"? Did the dealer change out the thermostat after it overheated the first time? or with the head gasket repair?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

That stinks, but I don't think that it is a bad machine. I would start by pushing the warranty issue. I know it is a pain in the butt to fight with these guys, but I would argue that the issue happened under warranty, you brought it in under warranty, and they just did not fix it before the warranty ran out. It is still a warranty issue no matter when they fix it. Imagine if they had to order parts that were on back order, and by the time the parts came in the warranty had expired. The warranty period is the time you are covered for, not the time they have to fix it by.

That being said, if you have to go out of pocket to fix it I would do it. I don't know what the market value of a Viking with a blown motor is, but I bet the increase in resale value would exceed the cost of the repairs (just a guess). If you have to go into it, i would also explore some upgrades (there will never be a better time.) if your location allows take it to JBS and have them work their magic. With a little more power, it might be just the machine for you. If it isn't get a little more use out of it and sell it off. The way things are going in the UTV market by the time you decide to shop for another one, there will be cooler stuff on the market and/or the stuff that is out now will be cheaper. I say Give the Viking another chance and don't give up on the Warranty just yet.
    2007 660 JBS sheave, and MSD Charge

Yamaha has issues with the middle drive bolts also...do you know if it's top end or in the bottom

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

The Dealership said the piston came into contact with the valves.

I would be questioning them on how that could have happened? Seeing that they are the only
    ones that have worked on it!
    06 Rhino 686 s/e blue, 11:1 piston, stage 1 hot cam, raptor springs, JBS sheave and clutching, cmf 2" lift, alum air box, exhaust tip, dial a jet, j strong roof, ride on dust shield, power steering, Stage 5 Elka's riding on 28" 11 14 mega mayhems all around on sti hd3 wheels, hp cooling fan, 3500# winch, 32" led light bar and stuff!

Big difference if the piston let go or if a valve dropped. They need to tell you to determine cost to fix.
    James- how do these solid rods typically react when bearing fails?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

8. Likes JoshK liked this post
    Rod bearings will go bad and the Piston will hit the valve but it's not what usually happens these

James Davis
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

Where do you live

James Davis