Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

3. Likes Timmi liked this post

Yamaha wolverine x2 vs. Polaris general

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	13046

So let’s dig in and unpack the differences starting with the obvious one. First off, the Polaris General is a 999cc engine, while the Wolverine X2 is powered by Yamaha’s brand new 847cc twin engine. That’s a significant difference of 152cc’s. If big power output is extremely important to you, go ahead and put your first check mark on the General. To be honest though, my opinion is that good power is important, but it isn’t everything. In fact, I’ve read a handful of reviews that actually remark that the General’s power output is actually a we bit over the top for its intended purpose and handling, but of course that is subjective. It’s a fun, strong, hard hitting power and might feel as if it’s handling ability does not quite match it’s power. That’s not to say that it’s overall handling isn’t good. More food for thought, just because the X2 is down 152cc’s in comparison to the General does not mean that it doesn’t put out an extremely thrilling amount of power. In fact, I found that Yamaha’s new parallel twin engine was extremely fun to drive and quite satisfying. The power of the engine fit perfectly with it’s overall handling. It always felt in control, pulled hard and stayed planted no matter how hard I pushed it. Lastly, the Wolverine X2’s engine was unusually and extremely quiet, had very little vibration and very little heat radiating into the cab which are all major creature comfort bonuses for the average recreational user and a testament to the lengths Yamaha will go to build a quality well engineered product.

The General transmits engine power to the wheels via the Polaris PVT system, which is a fully automatic transmission system that changes seamlessly through a continuous range of effective gear ratios as you ride and makes use of an engine braking system as you descend down inclines. Overall, the General’s PVT works fairly well, but we’ve found that the General’s PVT system is prone to slipping in the slower technical portions of the trail. In addition, we’ve found a touch unsettling at times that as you descend down steep hills, the General has a tendency to free wheel, which is not something you want when you’re pointed down way up in elevation. In contrast, Yamaha makes use of there Ultramatic transmission system, which is by far the most advanced and durable system available. An automatic centrifugal clutch maintains constant belt tension for reduced belt wear and a sprag clutch that delivers natural all-wheel engine braking. In the Wolverine X2, a robust clutching system features an oversized belt for durability under aggressive riding, while still maintaining low cruising rpm for smooth, quiet running. The X2 can be run in high gear with confidence in almost every scenario, which is not usually the case with the General. This system grabs the belt like no other and also provides for engine braking that works in a predictable and smooth manner. Consistent engine braking might not seem like that big of a deal, but trust me when I say that you don’t want to be in a UTV when it randomly lets go and free-wheels down an extremely steep hill. Yamaha has done a great job dialing in there CVT system and it’s something you will appreciate out on the trail when you tackle sticky situations.

The standard suspension on both of these units are quite sufficient for this class of vehicle, but both offer upgraded premium versions with excellent suspension upgrades that I believe is worthy of consideration. The General Deluxe model comes with the popular well known Fox Podium X 2.0 QS3 shocks, which are great high performance good quality shocks. The Wolverine X2 R-Spec model comes with a set of fully adjustable KYB piggy-back shocks, which I feel are quite amazing. The General edges out the Wolverine X2 in suspension travel. It boasts a whopping 12.25 inches on the front and 13.2 inches in the rear, while the X2 offers 8.7 up front and 8.9 in the rear. Also, the General has a slight advantage on ground clearance with 12 inches, while the X2 has approximately 11 inches. Both of these machines are quick, nimble, agile and whip through the tight winding East Coast style trail systems effortlessly as if they were designed and created just for that purpose, which they were. The General sprawls out across the trail at 62.5 inches in width and ads a slight advantage of stability in the wide open trails. The Wolverine X2 is slightly slimmer at 59.1 inches. That is a difference of 3.4 inches and may offer an advantage on the tighter more technical trails. While there are unlimited places you can ride wider trails on the East Coast, some of the most exciting trails to explore are those that are on the tight, technical and more winding less traveled trails. Even though the X2 has a width deficit of 3.4 inches, it never felt tippy even in the more open trails, but certainly obtains a sizable advantage when the fenders begin to scrub the trees. Overall, I’d say the General certainly is a bit more sporty due to engine size, width and suspension travel.

Finally, as previously mentioned, these units are also designed to help with the hard work around your property, etc. Both the Yamaha and Polaris will hold and haul the exact amount of weight in the dump bed, maxing out at 600 lbs. The X2 actually edges out the General in towing capacity at a max of 2,000 lbs. while the General will tow a max of 1,500 pounds. This could be an important advantage for the X2 for some customers needs. The truth is, both of these options are designed for and capable of accomplishing hard work and doing it well.

Both of these great machines posses plenty of the muscle and characteristics required for accomplishing tough work. Although both are quite similar in this arena, the X2 comes out slightly on top because of it’s ability to haul 500 extra pounds. The last and final area of consideration is pricing and it’s up to you to determine how much you should spend. The base model General 1000 starts at an MSRP of $16,999 while the new base model Wolverine X2 starts at an MSRP of $12,699. Thats a fairly substantial difference of $4,300.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

5. Thanks NickH thanked for this post
    Likes moprods, WV Hot Rod Rhino, NickH, flimmy liked this post

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

7. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

9. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I love my white but that maroon is awesome.
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

11. Likes Timmi liked this post
    same here and it matches my truck

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Daddy View Post
    I love my white but that maroon is awesome.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

13. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I'm just not sold on it yet. Maybe after I see a few and here some reviews.
    2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS
    Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
    Super ATV half windshield tinted
    Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
    Dragonfire 3" 4-point harnesses
    2" Super ATV lift
    Pyle audio system
    Yamaha over fenders
    4" cage chop
    27" tusk Terabites
    JBS extreme sheave
    16g OD weights
    Purple Eibach Spring
    Slugs
    JBS Doors

15. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    it's just an X4 with a dump bed on it, everything is identical. I'm not wild about the cage but I can live with it.
    maroon shadow ain't gonna work, though....

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog Daddy View Post
    I'm just not sold on it yet. Maybe after I see a few and here some reviews.

"
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

17. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    it's just an X4 with a dump bed on it, everything is identical. I'm not wild about the cage but I can live with it.
    maroon shadow ain't gonna work, though....
    Since the color is "Ridge Red" you could call her the "Ridge Shadow".

19. Likes Timmi liked this post
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast