Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    2018 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE Travis404's Avatar

Teryx muffler mod and cat removal

What does everyone think of this cheap muffler mod and cat removal, I know this is a maverick but it would be the same concept on a Teryx .Also if you look at the drop down box he included links to the places he bought all the stuff at , it was done for like 100 but for the Teryx would just be about 50 cause you do t have duel exhaust on them .

http://youtu.be/BHoxVIs0GbA
    2018 Teryx 4 LE 3500 wireless viper winch synthetic rope , quad boss folding windshield, 29” Dirt Commander , MTX Sound System ,2” Highlifter Lift ,28” LED light bar ,UNI air filter, gas tank vent mod,1” wheel spacers ,KT-8900UHF/VHF Ham Radio , LED rear reverse lights ,170 CFM fan under driver seat to keep underneath the seat cooler and keeps Moter cooler , Big Gun EXO slip on exhaust with cat taken out .

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    lots of people use car mufflers on the teryx sounds good but still too loud for me. I like stock quiet cause my kids are always with me. I did gut the back cat and there was a noticeable drop in cab heat but that's all I noticed. some people say they felt a difference in throttle response personally I did not but the drop in cab heat was worth it for me. only took about 20 minutes start to finish.
    Redneck Crazy - 2017 Teryx4 LE , 4" portals , cage chop , arched A arms , 32x10x14 pro armor crawler xg , sti hd beadlocks , winch bumper , 5,000# winch , custom snorkels.

4. Likes Travis404, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    2018 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE Travis404's Avatar
    That would also be worth it for me not that mine get as hot as it did as I put a 170cfm in-line fan under my driver seat and ran the output of the fan toward the motor with duct so it’s suck hot air out and put blowing air on the motor so it’s a win win ! So with the cat out of it cools me down more I will be a happy guy! Did it make it louder when you took the cat out of yours or was it no different?
    2018 Teryx 4 LE 3500 wireless viper winch synthetic rope , quad boss folding windshield, 29” Dirt Commander , MTX Sound System ,2” Highlifter Lift ,28” LED light bar ,UNI air filter, gas tank vent mod,1” wheel spacers ,KT-8900UHF/VHF Ham Radio , LED rear reverse lights ,170 CFM fan under driver seat to keep underneath the seat cooler and keeps Moter cooler , Big Gun EXO slip on exhaust with cat taken out .

6. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    lots of people use car mufflers on the teryx sounds good but still too loud for me. I like stock quiet cause my kids are always with me. I did gut the back cat and there was a noticeable drop in cab heat but that's all I noticed. some people say they felt a difference in throttle response personally I did not but the drop in cab heat was worth it for me. only took about 20 minutes start to finish.
    How big of a difference did "gutting" it make...why not just replace it with a straight pipe ? The cab heat is the only gripe I have with mine...if its in the 80's or higher , it is almost unbearably to ride .
    08 700 ...

8. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis404 View Post
    That would also be worth it for me not that mine get as hot as it did as I put a 170cfm in-line fan under my driver seat and ran the output of the fan toward the motor with duct so it’s suck hot air out and put blowing air on the motor so it’s a win win ! So with the cat out of it cools me down more I will be a happy guy! Did it make it louder when you took the cat out of yours or was it no different?
    it made the exhaust a tad deeper I wouldn't say louder.

Quote Originally Posted by scottwv View Post
    How big of a difference did "gutting" it make...why not just replace it with a straight pipe ? The cab heat is the only gripe I have with mine...if its in the 80's or higher , it is almost unbearably to ride .
    scott for us it was a noticeable drop in heat not drastic but definitely better. I didn't tell maria what I did and on day 2 of the spring ride she said I wonder why its not soo hot in here like it was in October. I only removed the rear cat take the muffler off and its right there. cant replace it with straight pipe cause its not a typical looking cat that you would just cut out. there are 3 nuts on the back side of the muffler you remove and the muffler will slide off. if memory serves I took the skid plate off for easier access but wasn't needed. once the muffler is off the cat will be right there on the exhaust pipe still in the teryx. it was super easy to do and did not take long to do at all. just be sure to start the teryx after the cat is gutted and before you put the muffler back on that way the pieces of the cat that fell down the exhaust will blow out and not get stuck inside the muffler.
    Redneck Crazy - 2017 Teryx4 LE , 4" portals , cage chop , arched A arms , 32x10x14 pro armor crawler xg , sti hd beadlocks , winch bumper , 5,000# winch , custom snorkels.

10. Thanks Barefoot thanked for this post
    I’m think I’m going to do this l if the cab heat is reduced like y’all are saying. That’s my biggest gripe as well on my t4. I appreciate the info fellows.

And Scottwv, I road in 97 degree temps the other week. It was ridiculous. The parking brake would dang near burn you it was so hot. I went home early cause I felt like it was to much for my 5 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Thanks wildcatkawi thanked for this post
    Likes scottwv liked this post
    Yea guys the rear cat is inside the pipe like a coragated fiber about 3" long. You will see it inside the pipe when you slide the muffler off. I just took a sawzaw and cut off the last few inches and it was all in the part I sawed off so no drilling out any metal fiber. This still leave enough pipe to slide and bolt your muffler back on. Oh by the way the only way to get rid of the other cat is to put in a whole after market full exhaust system as it's next to the motor end of exhaust.

14. Likes mike, scottwv liked this post
    If you are going to cut it off , you have to either cut at the weld , or behind it . I didn't cut back far enuff , and had to "dig" about 3/4" of it out . You can hardly see thru it whenever you hold it up to the light....not because of being "dirty"....it is that tightly woven . I haven't ridden it yet ; but , it is gonna have to help heat reduction....basically had a 3-4" heat sink in there .
    08 700 ...

16. Likes mike, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post