Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Steve
    So my problem has returned rhino will not turn over with key.
    With the switch turned to the on position I checked wires coming out of the ignition switch and they are all hot coming out of the switch except for ground wire. Where as before I thought the little blue and black wire was only hot when trying to start. Also I noticed that all three wires leading into top of starter relay are also hot with key in on position. Nothing changes when I turn to start position.

I pulled the plug out of back of switch and the ground wire has been hot and melted some plastic on the plug in. The female end of the connection looked bent and loose so I straightened it up put together and it turned over first try with key and then nothing after that.

If that ground connection is not good at the switch plug in would that cause all three wires to be hot with key in on position?

I’m guessing this has to be my problem????

2. Likes bd_skrillz liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RADICAL RAM View Post
    Steve
    So my problem has returned rhino will not turn over with key.
    With the switch turned to the on position I checked wires coming out of the ignition switch and they are all hot coming out of the switch except for ground wire. Where as before I thought the little blue and black wire was only hot when trying to start. Also I noticed that all three wires leading into top of starter relay are also hot with key in on position. Nothing changes when I turn to start position.

I pulled the plug out of back of switch and the ground wire has been hot and melted some plastic on the plug in. The female end of the connection looked bent and loose so I straightened it up put together and it turned over first try with key and then nothing after that.

If that ground connection is not good at the switch plug in would that cause all three wires to be hot with key in on position?

I’m guessing this has to be my problem????
    The ground connection is required in order for current to flow. It is likely that the starter relay contacts are not closing because there is no current flowing through the coil.
    Check the grounding wires at both ends for any flakey connections.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

4. Likes bd_skrillz liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    The ground connection is required in order for current to flow. It is likely that the starter relay contacts are not closing because there is no current flowing through the coil.
    Check the grounding wires at both ends for any flakey connections.
    Steve
    Have not been on here for a while. You say no current flowing through coil? Do you mean coil that provides spark to spark plug or another coil I’m not aware of??
    Took it for a 15 minute ride and now starts with the key again.
    That’s Typically what happens.
    Thanks for your assistance. I have no chance at figuring this out on my own

6. Likes bd_skrillz liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RADICAL RAM View Post
    Steve
    Have not been on here for a while. You say no current flowing through coil? Do you mean coil that provides spark to spark plug or another coil I’m not aware of??
    Took it for a 15 minute ride and now starts with the key again.
    That’s Typically what happens.
    Thanks for your assistance. I have no chance at figuring this out on my own
    Not the ignition coil.. All relays have a coil that magnetizes when current flows through it. That magnetic field pulls on an iron object which carries one side of the relay contact onto the opposite relay contact. This closes the relay contacts such that current flows on to power some device. Starter relays have big contacts that close together to carry huge amounts of power to the starter motor.

Generally relays are used to use a small current to cause the contacts to close and carry a much larger current needed for a particular task. This allows you to use a much smaller switch without it instantly burning up. Relays can also be used to remotely control a function. The trigger (small switch) sends power down small wires to the relay coil at a far off place. This relay then provides the real power to do your task.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

8. Likes bd_skrillz liked this post
    Now, you are probably wondering what an ignition coil is? It has a coil of wire similar to a relay coil. However, no iron object that pulls contacts closed. The ignition coil primary winding sees pulses of electrical current from the ignition points, or nowadays from a CDI or similar fully electronic equivalent device. These pulses create a pulsating magnetic field around the coil. There is also a secondary coil of wire surrounding the primary, with many times more turns of wire, That expanding and contracting magnetic field creates a pulsating flow of current within the secondary coil, but at a much higher voltage. The voltage from the secondary creates a voltage high enough to arc across the air gap of a spark plug. This spark ignites the air fuel mixture that has been drawn into the combustion chamber and bang, pushes the piston down, from close to top dead center to the lowest part of the crankshaft revolution. This cycle is repeated for every revolution of a 2 stroke engine, or every other revolution in a 4 stroke engine.

All in all, an engine is a complicated device, very much so as compared to a bicycle or pedal car. The first engines were invented in the mid to late 1800's. Steam, gasoline and diesel gadgets.
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

10. Likes bd_skrillz liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post
    Now, you are probably wondering what an ignition coil is? It has a coil of wire similar to a relay coil. However, no iron object that pulls contacts closed. The ignition coil primary winding sees pulses of electrical current from the ignition points, or nowadays from a CDI or similar fully electronic equivalent device. These pulses create a pulsating magnetic field around the coil. There is also a secondary coil of wire surrounding the primary, with many times more turns of wire, That expanding and contracting magnetic field creates a pulsating flow of current within the secondary coil, but at a much higher voltage. The voltage from the secondary creates a voltage high enough to arc across the air gap of a spark plug. This spark ignites the air fuel mixture that has been drawn into the combustion chamber and bang, pushes the piston down, from close to top dead center to the lowest part of the crankshaft revolution. This cycle is repeated for every revolution of a 2 stroke engine, or every other revolution in a 4 stroke engine.

All in all, an engine is a complicated device, very much so as compared to a bicycle or pedal car. The first engines were invented in the mid to late 1800's. Steam, gasoline and diesel gadgets.
    All true and incredibly interesting. I'd like to add that once a massive solar flare punches through our magnetosphere, non of this will matter. LOL JK of course.

Just hope that it is midnight when it hits, eh?
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #

I had a similar experience

My '04 660 was acting in a similar manner in that it would start and not start in no particular pattern. I found out by accident that I could jiggle the three wires going into the starter solenoid and get it cranked. So I got it home and cleaned the connector and tightened the the female spades inside the best I could but eventually it started again. I decided it had to have a break or something inside the insulation. Eventually after several iterations I clipped the wire back to healthy wire, added some extra wire back, then put fresh insulated female spades on the ends that plug directly into the starter solenoid block. That took care of it and I haven't had a single episode since then.

14. Likes SteveS liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12