Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Opinions on a New Winch

My 3 year old Viper MAX 5000 has up and quit. I am shopping for a new winch. Any suggestions? I am thinking 4500lbs would be the bare minimum. My 5000lb Viper served me well, but I would not consider it overkill. What should I replace it with? I am for sure getting synthetic rope. This will be going on a Polaris Ranger 900.
    2015 Polaris Ranger 900
    RVS 86HP Tune | Elka Shocks | QSC Clutching | 27" VIPRs | 5000lb Viper | Baja Designs Lights | Wet Sounds Stealth 10 | 10" SSV Subwoofer | Highlifter Snorkels

2014 Kawasaki Teryx4 800

Warn Provantage 4500-S
    28" Terminators | MSA Kore | Highlifter Lift | 50" Radius Lightbar | Dual Batteries |

2011 Yamaha Rhino 734 Sport
    Alba 734 | Racer's Edge +2 head | CP 11:1 Piston | 46mm Benchmark TB | JBS Sheave, Muzzys | WER shocks | CATVOS 3" lift | 30" Bighorns

James can get you a KFI winch

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    My 3 year old Viper MAX 5000 has up and quit. I am shopping for a new winch. Any suggestions? I am thinking 4500lbs would be the bare minimum. My 5000lb Viper served me well, but I would not consider it overkill. What should I replace it with? I am for sure getting synthetic rope. This will be going on a Polaris Ranger 900.
    I don't remember the exact recommended ratio of weight to winch, but it's something like 2.5 times the vehicle weight. I went with 3.5x just to be safe. I also went with synthetic rope because I use mine for plowing and the synthetic is a little more forgiving. Some other advantages of synthetic is that it's not as dangerous to you or bystanders if it breaks while winching. Another advantage is when it does break, you can tie a knot in it and keep going. I found my knots to only last a few more weeks, but they kept me going.

My winch is a Kolpin and I've had zero issues, but... I just removed it from my Honda to add to my Yamaha and I found one of the cable posts is corroded. It's only a matter of time before that caused me a problem.

get a snatch block and you can double up on pulling power

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Timmi View Post
    James can get you a KFI winch
    x2
    08 700 ...

If you have not already, I would contact Moto-Alliance and see what they might say about shipping it back and maybe rebuilding or a credit against a new one. I found a few years ago that they were a pleasure to deal with a minor problem and reasonable. I got my last Viper, synthetic 4500#, off ebay bid from them for a little over $200. Worth looking....
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

7. Likes buckg2 liked this post
    Agree, talk to Moto alliance.

looking to get another winch as well ---- I will be talking to James soon

M-n-T
    I just put a Viper Max wide spool 6000lb winch on my X4 (yes, they make a 6,000lb version). Had to go with the KFI mount since MotoAlliance does not have one for the new models yet. I would contact MotoAlliance about your old one first...but the wide spool will give to more cable. All winches are rated at the first wrap on the spool...so I always go 3 x gvw as a minimum, but add a little to that so i don't have to worry about using a snatch block.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2079.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	13166Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2081.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	13167Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2072.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	13168

Since the OEM bumper only has the holes for a standard spool winch, you will need to drill out the front two holes for the wide spool bolt pattern. Again, the KFI mount plate fits perfect and require no modification. MotoAlliance has a limited lifetime warranty and also offeres an extended service plan. The kit comes with everything you need...and I do mean everything! Winch, wires, contactor, fairlead for cable or sythetic (your choice), switch, snatch block, hook and rubber cable/rope protector, hand pull strap, winch cover and 9ft cable remote extension w/mounting plug.

NOTE: The two holes you see in the photo is for the standard bolt pattern...you need to drill out the two outside holes for the wide spool bolt pattern. If you wanted to stay with a standard spool winch, then no modifications will be needed.