Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you carry a spare belt?

Hey guys, I’m coming over from a Honda pioneer so I have zero experience with driving a cvt. I understand carrying an extra belt is mandatory on a Polaris but I also have been told that yamaha’s Cvt is far better than Polaris. So, do you guys carry an extra belt when you ride? Or do you not worry about it? And while we’re on the subject, how long does a belt last? Are there certain driving techniques that will prolong its life? Thanks in advance!
    2018 Yamaha Rspec

2014 Honda Pioneer 700

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I prolly should carry one all the time but i only do on our yearly Utah&Colorado trips. I have had a rhino since 09 never have had a belt problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09 700 sport
    aftermarket cam, duel muzzy exhaust, alba custom map, MSD fuel controller, alba water temp and oil press gauges, SDR LT6, SDR 4seat custom cage and bed, rigid industries 40in. and 10in. light bars, led head and taillights, fox remote resi shocks, DWT beadlock wheels, twisted stitch seats front and back, crow 4pt harness front and back, super atv power steering, quick release steering wheel. ruggid radios incar communication and car to car com, JBS EXTREME2 sheave on the way

4. Likes Tflynn, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    As soon as I or anybody else says that you don't need a spare belt, you'll prob need one. That being said, I drive the immortal dog crap out of my R-spec. I've got big heavy Terminator tires and it sees a lot of nasty mud. I never carry a spare belt. With a Yamaha, you just don't have to worry about it. I changed my belt earlier this year just because I figured I needed to. When I pulled it out, I couldn't hardly tell it from the new one. And that is with over 3,000 miles on that belt. I also have the slug kit, a stiffer spring and James's machined sheave. The belt never slips.
    Yamaha Wolverine R-spec Camo EPS, JBS Extreme sheave, purple spring, 16 gr od weights, slug kit, HMF Exhaust, PCV 5 Programmer, 3.5 Highlifter Lift, 29.5 Terminators, full folding windshield (wintertime) and wind deflector (summertime), LED light bars front and back, Wetsounds sound bar, blue and red led light strips (separate switches for each) on interior roof, cooler..... always full of cold beer (at the start anyways).
    Go Dawgs!!!!!

6. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Tflynn liked this post
    I do keep a spare belt with me that I have never needed. I also run heavy heavy terminators and enough gear, tools, spare parts, big cooler loaded to the gills and recovery equipment to get me or who ever out of the woods. Also a 30 in spare on a custom lift gate which came in handy for James at the spring ride.

8. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Tflynn liked this post

Do you carry a spare belt?

I seen you have a Yamaha, but thought I’d through my 2 cents in. I’ve always carried one with me with my Polaris and Teryx. Never had a problem but was always prepared. I believe it’s all in how you drive it and what gear (low or high) you choose for whatever situation your in on the trail.

10. Likes Tflynn liked this post
    I have been SxSing for about 7 years. Only Yamaha. When I started I carried the belt and all the tools needed to do a belt change. About 3 years ago I got tired of lugging all that dead weight around and took it out of the toolbox, lol. I recommend you slug the wet clutch which will extend the belt life all things being equal. Running it in Low range I believe will also take some pressure off the belt from the torquer motor. Only use a OEM belt.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

12. Thanks Tflynn thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Tflynn liked this post
    I carried one all the time...just in case.

You moved from a Pioneer 700? Good step up to the Rspec. I went the other way.. went from a Viking to a Pioneer 1000.
    2018 Pioneer 1000-3 LE
    2015 Viking SE (sold)

14. Likes Tflynn liked this post
    better to have it and not need it and need it and not have it. everything breaks at some point.
    Redneck Crazy - 2017 Teryx4 LE , 4" portals , cage chop , arched A arms , 32x10x14 pro armor crawler xg , sti hd beadlocks , winch bumper , 5,000# winch , custom snorkels.

16. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino, Tflynn liked this post
    Nope
    2016 YXZ Yellow SE

old ride 2 11 Polaris RZR XP 900 White Lightning Edition all stock for now.

old old ride. 06 JBS built 686 , Benachmark ported head , Falicon rod , JBS sheave , Alba pipe and fuel pump , custom cage , HID head lights , 26" GBC Dirt Tamers on SS212 wheels , Superwinch Terra 45 w/ Synthetic Rope , Dynatek CDI

18. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    I carry one just to be safe. Never used it for myself yet, but kinda like insurance.
    As for "How long will it last" ----- that will depend on you. Always low gear when needed and let the belt warm up in cold weather. I have put 3000 to 4000 miles on 1 belt and only changed it due to piece of mind. Hope I have not jinxed myself. LOL

20. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast