Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ShortBus453's '18 X4 SE Build

I figure that I can start a thread in the build area to try to document what I am working on with my machine.

Let's start with the details:

Bought 2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Matte Silver) as a left over demo unit. The unit was on law enforcement loan to the local police department for them to do ice patrol on a local lake over the winter. Unit had 74.1 miles/16.3 hours when I picked it up (8/2/2018). There was almost zero wear on the unit (the only thing that we could see was where the officer's pistol belt rubbed on the plastics of the front seat area and very minor). The unit had already had the first service performed, so that is something that I don't really need to worry about. The dealer had included the Hard Sun Top with the deal, because they put them on all of their machines.

The dealer wasn't interested in working on the pricing for an extended warranty through Yamaha, so I will be shopping for one in the upcoming months (prior to the 6 month running out in February).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 Dealer.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	13223   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 First Home.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	13224  
    2015 Yamaha Viking VI EPS (Camo):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

2018 Yamaha Wolverine X4 SE (Silver):
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

2. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Accessories Purchased on Deal

I purchased a bunch of the things that I was wanting to get going with the new machine in an effort to get it "trail worthy" for my family.

-Yamaha OEM Poly Windshield (on back-order til mid August)
    -Yamaha OEM Soft Rear Window (on back-order til mid August)
    -Yamaha OEM Rear Cargo Box
    -Yamaha Adventure Pro
    -Yamaha Adventure Pro Wiring Kit (on back-order til mid August)
    -Yamaha SSV Works Audio Pod System (California warehouse)
    -Yamaha SSV Works Audio Pod Rear Expansion

I also ordered from other resources:
    -Viper Elite 4500# Winch
    -KFI Winch Mount
    -Horizontal Winch Rocker Switch (for the factory location)
    -Seizmek Side Mirrors
    -Battery Tender Jr
    -JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Skids, JBS Arm Guards, JBS AIS Block Off, JBS Rad Guards, JBS Slug Kit, 28" Terrabites/14" Hurricanes

-JBS Extreme Sheave, JBS Spring Kit, 28” Terrabites/14" Hurricanes, Weller ECM Flash

Yamaha OEM Rear Cargo Box (Install/Initial Reveiw)

When I got home from picking up the new machine, the easiest thing to install first was the Rear Cargo Box. I figured that it was also the largest box that I wanted to get rid of also...

To start, you have to remove the OEM tailgate by simply removing the 2 bolts that hold the tethers. The instructions say to reinstall those bolts, so I did. Next up was to remove the covers and bolts under those covers for 4 bolts in the "bed". Once removed, the instructions say to lube up a "special" bolt that they include (self tapper) and chase/clean the bed threads. That was was too easy, so I thought... Included in the kit are 4 way over engineered hand screws to replace those bolts that you removed from the bed. These things are really beefy, and are machined out of a single piece of what looks like billet.

So, next I slide the box in the bed and begin to install those over-engineered hand screws, but they won't thread in very good. Out comes the box, and I chase the threads again... At this point, I have blistered my fingers pretty good trying to install these things. While the box is out, I try to thread those hand screws in, and they are VERY tight, but I keep applying Anti-seize and running them back and forth. Clean up the mess that the anti-seize has made and am able to get the gaint hand screws in all the way.

I will say that the box looks awesome in there, but it takes up a ton of space (very little space to begin with), but I don't know of any other way that I can do what I am looking to do. The latching is a little tough to run because of how they built them, but should be ok. I am still a little concerned that when the straps that latch it break, they are going to be really hard to replace. Also, the lid is a pain in the rear to deal with. When you are digging in the box, you have the lid fighting with you the entire time.

When I get a few more minutes to continue with my installs, I am going to pull those over-engineered hand screws back out of the box and replace with the OEM bolts. Those bolts at least I can run a tool on, and I don't see the point of the hand screws...it isn't like you are going to be taking the box out all the time... and I think it would be quicker with a tool verses those stubborn hand screws.

Overall...I don't think that the box is worth what they charge. And if you do buy one (because it seems to be the best storage option for these things), don't waste your time with those hand screws...

Name:	X4 Rear Cargo Box 2.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	13239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 Rear Cargo Box.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	13240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 Rear Cargo Screws.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	13241  
    Last edited by shortbus453; 08-09-2018 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added Pics

5. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

ITP Wheels/27" Blackwaters

I had a set of ITP SS212 Wheels (Matte Black) with 27" Blackwater Evo's for my Viking that I wasn't using, so I threw them on to see how they would look. The SS212 wheels are a 4-2/5-3 set-up. They don't look too bad on there and there is plenty of room. I am thinking that I will be getting a set of 5-2 Wheels and 28" Terrabites to put on, but will likely want to get 1" spacers for the back. I will edit this if I ever do that.

I want to have wheels that I can rotate, and something a little more truck like, but these wheels/tires had done me well on the Viking until I switched to Terrabites, so I will use them for now. The plan would be to hold on to these wheels/tires to use when I know that it is going to be real muddy or a lot of snow. Haven't gotten a chance to ride with them on the X4 yet, so I can't give any feedback other than looks.

I would say with these wheels/tires, that you would also want to get some 1" spacers for the rear, but could probably get away with 1/2"-3/4"...

Name:	X4 ITP Wheels 1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	13225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 ITP Wheels 2.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	13226   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 ITP Wheels 3.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	13227  

7. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Congrats. I've found a lot of Yamaha stuff is over engineered. I'm really bad about not doing this myself but will request you post up some pics of your ride anyways.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

9. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Some Work in Progress Photos 1

I have added pictures to the first posts. Pictures are one thing that I struggle to post to the forums, but I am going to give it a shot.

Name:	X4 No Hood 1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	13228   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 Winch Wires 1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	13229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 Adventure Pro 2.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	13230  

11. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

Mouse Guard

I had a bunch of trouble with mice getting into my intake this last winter, so I built a mouse guard for my Viking. With that problem in mind, while I was tearing down the X4, I decided to build a mouse guard for the CVT that is under the "firewall"...

Finished it up by doing a little trimming/bending and added a few pieces of safety wire to help hold it in place and keep the little buggers out.

Name:	X4 CVT Mouse 1.jpg 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	13231   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 CVT Mouse 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	13232   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 CVT Mouse 3.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	13233  
    Last edited by shortbus453; 08-07-2018 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Updated

13. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Pictures worked perfectly. Looking good. Good idea on the mouse guard.
    2018 Blue Wolverine X4
    JBS Sheave
    JBS Springs
    Alba Tune

15. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post

SSV Audio Pod/Expansion Install

Yesterday I was able to do the installation on the SSV Works Audio Pod Stereo System with SSV Works Audio Pod Expansion.

The instructions were fairly clear, but they asked to do some stuff that didn't really make sense.
    1. Drill a 1" hole in the compartment for the head unit. The cord is about 1/2" and they didn't include any type of grommet to feed through with it. So I found a grommet at the house that was a 3/8" grommet that required a 11/16" hole. Fed the grommet over the connector (or control cord as the manual calls it).
    2. Drill a 7/8" hole in the center of the glove box for the AUX In (Headphone) port. It needed to be 7/8", but in the center of the gloove box didn't make sense. So I relocated it to the side (Near where I put the USB Charging port that comes with the Adventure Pro (I will do that post once I have it all in).

The directions have you route all of the wires first, then plug everything in (I presume to see if it works), then mount things. Never did it mention that you will have to unplug/reroute. I didn't follow those instructions, but rather went right to hanging all of the speakers. I hung the speakers loose so that I could adjust what I needed to. It is a tight fit to the OEM Hard Sun Top, and once installed, you will have a difficult time getting to 4 of the bolts that clamp the sun top down.

Once I started to run the wiring (I am OCD), I had to take the MAJORITY of the interior apart to gain access to where to cleanly route the wiring from the "Brain Box" to the speakers. Not too bad of a deal to route once you have everything out of the way. I did slightly notch the driver shoulder panel where it meets the outer panel to allow for the wires to be routed cleanly, this took about 10 minutes with a die grinder.

The instructions didn't say anything about how to route the antenna wires, so I made a loop with it along the main frame cross tube behind the "firewall".

Now for the review... I really like it. I was a bit concerned that the price was going to be WAY to high for how it sounded, but my wife wanted the radio to be more integrated (shouldn't have let her see the accessory book). I was able to test the FM and it had pretty decent reception, and I tried out the Bluetooth (made the neighborhood listen to "Kickin' Up Mud" by The Lacs). The sound quality seemed to be pretty decent, but I was sitting in the driveway. Once thing of note, is that the radio comes on everytime you turn the key on, doesn't matter if you had "shut it off" or not. It also comes back on EXACTLY how you have left it, so make sure to turn to volume down before you shut it down. The 4 speaker system seems to be more set up for the people in the front seats.

Name:	X4 SSV Head.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	13242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 SSV Head Hole.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	13243   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 SSV Speakers.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	13244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 No Interior 1.jpg 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	13245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	X4 No Interior 2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	13246  

Viper Winch Wireless Controller

I didn't take any pictures along the way of the winch install, because I am pretty sure that if you are reading this, you have seen or done that. I took a chance and decided to use the KFI winch plate that they updated so that it basically works on most of the Yamaha SxS's (not the YXZ or Rhino).

I have had pretty good luck with the Viper Elite winches. I like how their motors are made, the rope, and the wireless. I haven't done the wide spools, but hear they are good.

I cut up the wiring harness for the wireless control box in order to route the wires cleanly. Mainly I take the harness out of their "loom" and build my own from a woven plastic that I found a while back. I also hunted down the connectors and seals to use the "caps" from the factory wiring harness (I actually did this on my Viking also).

I mounted the control box in the glove box to try to protect it a little and also to make it available to push the little button to activate the wireless when you go to use it. I haven't gotten my custom dash switch yet (ordered a horizontal "Winch In/Winch Out" from Amazon)

In the picture, I was test fitting everything and getting ready to solder the wires for the switched power, so it isn't fully connected.

Name:	X4 Viper Wireless.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	13247  

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast