Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thermostat question 804 rhino

Hi all ,I Haven’t been on for a while !!
    Just a quick question, wonder what is out there for thermostats for the rhino??
    Just ended up putting the larger radiator on and wonder if they had a thermostat that open alittle sooner ?
    What do you run on your rhino mods James ? That’s one question I guess I never ask while I was doing the big 804 build ha ha ..
    She’s still running good !! However I did just replace the water pump but that’s minor!!
    Thanks 👍🏼
    2013 Camo 700 Rhino w/ homemade 4 seater cage, bored and stroke to 804.
    11.1cp piston with 105.5 bore, 8mm stroker crank works crank ,25" Bighorn on Viking tactical wheels
    BRP cdi , Bazzaz Z FI w/ auto mapper , raptor stage 1 cam ,Yoshimura duals, jBS extreme sheave with 17g OD , slug kit ,injector, Elka stage 1,2" lift , 20" led bar and ez steer

I don't know when the thermostat opens up, but it has to be way before the fan kicks on. I would say you could run without one in the warmer months for a little extra flow, but I've never tried it. I try to keep mine in the 175 to 190 range using the fan override most of the time just because 200+ seems to warm for it to me. I stay busy with the switch though, so I'm thinking about a fan control kit with the probe that goes in the fins of the radiator to turn it on and off. Set that to run when I have the switch on.
    JBS 734 with Crank Works crank and rod - CP 11:1 BBK- Hotcams stage 3 Raptor cam - JBS ported head - JBS Hot Rod sheave with 16s - Gold secondary - 26x9 OG Bighorns on Racline wheels - BRP cdi - Bazzaz Z FI - Yoshimura exhaust - Hump's led headlight swap with Trailbrightled lights - 10" Rigid SR light bar - 4" cage chop with home made custom bracing - home built doors - Mishimoto radiator

3. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    The OEM t 'stat is rated for 158 deg IIRC. I have seen a 185 deg aftermarket T'stat so be careful about anything that is not OEM. My 734 with factory T'stat and aluminum Mishimoto radiator with original OEM fan does fine. I added an override fan switch which I flip on before an aggressive run to 'lead the target'.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

5. Likes Hump, WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Have you noticed any difference with the bigger radiator? Only time I had heating up on mine was when it was 100 and the rad needed cleaning from seeds and mud. Lol

How the heck have you been anyway? Was going to email you and see if you had died or not. Lol

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS

7. Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Still alive Snowrider lol
    Radiator seems to help but only been on one ride with it .
    I had the coolent system apart for water pump so I figured I would give it a try.
    Did you get your issues all resolved ? You still running that stage 3 cam ?
    How do u like the 28” tires any rubbing ? ARE u running the Viking injector?
    If so I would like to check out your fuel map
    U still have my email ?

Did I see your having a kid ? Congratulations!!!
    That will keep you busy lol
    My boys have been doing a lot of riding on there dirt bikes. Been fun riding with them lol what a blast.
    Keep in touch
    So what is your set up now?
    Did I miss anything while I had been off the air ?
    11.1cp piston with 105.5 bore, 8mm stroker crank works crank ,25" Bighorn on Viking tactical wheels
    BRP cdi , Bazzaz Z FI w/ auto mapper , raptor stage 1 cam ,Yoshimura duals, jBS extreme sheave with 17g OD , slug kit ,injector, Elka stage 1,2" lift , 20" led bar and ez steer

I Have never had a over heat issue either but it did run at 207 a lot.
    I did notice the last 100 miles it has not run up there nearly that much and when it did it cooled down a lot quicker. I have never had a temp light. And I run pretty hard. I was just wondering if there was any aftermarket thermostats that opened a little quicker to keep the temp down even more ? I like to see the 185 temp range however the last hundred miles with the larger radiator has been close to the 185 range I was just curious??
    I also run a fan switch

I have given the cooling system a lot more thought than I should lol. But it is a simple closed loop system that once the motor gets warmed up the t'stat opens and pretty much stays fully open above 185 per the manual IIRC, and depends upon the coolant time spent in the radiator to cool it to the inlet side of what keeps it running around 195 to 200 degrees or so. If it gets to 205 or 207 or whatever that number is, the fan runs till it drops water to 193 degrees I think is what Albanate says. The motor is obviously designed to operate at that temp. I believe that the thermostat may also be a restrictor in the system to throttle the coolant and allows it to spend an appropriate amount of time in the radiator getting cooled to the inlet temp desired. So I am not so sure that leaving the t'stat out is a good idea as the coolant may not spend enough time in the radiator. If others have some experience with this please share.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

11. Likes DuckHunter, Hump, Kenny G liked this post
    [QUOTE=jimclemjr;129176] The motor is obviously designed to operate at that temp. I believe that the thermostat may also be a restrictor in the system to throttle the coolant and allows it to spend an appropriate amount of time in the radiator getting cooled to the inlet temp desired. So I am not so sure that leaving the t'stat out is a good idea as the coolant may not spend enough time in the radiator.

My t-stat was stuck open (how long I don't know) and I never saw any difference on the gauge . Being stuck open is not the same as not being in there...it wasn't a fully "open" system . All gauges read differently ; but , my bike...even with a larger aftermarket radiator...ran 208ish . The only way to make it run "cooler" was to leave the fan on all the time...those readings varied .
    08 700 ...

13. Likes DuckHunter liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunter View Post
    Still alive Snowrider lol
    Radiator seems to help but only been on one ride with it .
    I had the coolent system apart for water pump so I figured I would give it a try.
    Did you get your issues all resolved ? You still running that stage 3 cam ?
    How do u like the 28” tires any rubbing ? ARE u running the Viking injector?
    If so I would like to check out your fuel map
    U still have my email ?

Did I see your having a kid ? Congratulations!!!
    That will keep you busy lol
    My boys have been doing a lot of riding on there dirt bikes. Been fun riding with them lol what a blast.
    Keep in touch
    So what is your set up now?
    Did I miss anything while I had been off the air ?
    That's great to hear. Lol

But I did get everything resolved and now it's running better than it ever has.

Yeah I still have the stage 3. Really do love it. Haven't noticed any negatives on the slow rock crawling/ditch crawling. And pulls great on the times I get to speed up. Been thinking about trying the other cam back out for comparison but haven't had enough time to be that motivated yet.

I am running the Viking injector. I love both sets of the 28's. Zero rubbing anywhere. But full disclosure I do have the MTS and teryx shocks with limiter straps. And the 14 inch rims are 4+3 and the 12's are 5+2.

I can send you my map. Hopefully this weekend I will get it to you. I still got your email.

Thank you! Having a boy and couldn't be more excited. I'm sure he will keep me on my toes. Haha

But I would think that you would clear 28's of you got a 5+2 or 4+3 rim. I will have to try them on my buddies stock suspension rhino. The extra ground clearance is nice.

I run the ultracross r spec in the summer and then the motoboss in the winter. Interesting fact, I haven't broke an axle with the motoboss, just the r specs. Lol go figure, but both rear axles broke identical. Haven't had a CV joint go bad either. Put summer Bros on and been good to go.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    08 700SE
    --Beast Mode--
    JBS BBK stroker w/clutching
    MTS