Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6

Question Sheave questions

I have a 2008 Rhino with a Muzzy exhaust, MSD charge fuel/ignition module, High Flo Air filter and 26” off road tires. I am not sure if it is cammed but the MSD is set on position4 so I am guessing it is programmed and cammed. I also have 25” paddle tires for the dunes. I run in the dunes the most. It would Hit 60 MPH in the sand.
    When I was last out in the dunes the grease cover came off the primary sheave and made a mess of the sheave, the cover screws slung allover inside the housing nicking up both halves of the primary sheave and ground the inside of the spider housing, I am hoping this is were all of the heat came from that melted the duct work to the housing. Both the intake and exhaust sides melted.
    When I disassembled it I found minimal grease and it is a machined sheave with 14 gram OD slider weights (Dr. Pulley 3015) under the cam plate having what appear to be stock cam plate sliders. The caller had .5 mm spacer washers on each end. I assume the OD weights are 14 grams as I am not familiar on how to verify it other than by weighing them. When I weighed them I got a weight of 13.9 average. The secondary sheave has a gold electroplate coating on the spring. I am guessing it may have been a greaseless setup??
    There is a date mark on the primary fixxed sheave of 2014 06 05 and the secondary has a date of 2007 05 30.
    Any how, the point of all of this is I have watched videos and can’t figure out what I need to order.
    It seems that grease in the primary makes sense to a point but the argument of no grease sounds beneficial also. Any advice would be much appreciated so I can get replacement parts ordered soon would be great.
    I have emaild JBS twice last week and havnt heard back yet???

Thanks for the post and welcome to the forum. The best way to get James is call or text. 304-673-2602.

"
    White Shadow " Wolverine X2
    JBS Performance Extreme Sheave
    JBS Performance Suspension Springs
    Team Alba Racing ECU
    Rigid Side Shooter Led
    Yamaha Cab Enclosure
    Bazooka Party Bar

3. Thanks Loren thanked for this post
    Post some pics of the sheaves and greased performs better and last longer

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    James Davis
    If you have questions call me!!!
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419
    Check out our web https://jbsperformance.com/
    Email to - jbsperformanceinc@aol.com
    Ship to - 131 Davis Ct., Mt. Hope, WV 25880

5. Thanks Loren thanked for this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Thanks WV Hot Rod Rhino thanked for this post
    Likes WV Hot Rod Rhino liked this post
    Leave the shims out. Not enough room for belt wear with the shims and a milled sheave. You need a new o-ring and new screws and make sure the O-ring doesn't get pinched on the install..call my cell to order

James Davis
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419

9. Thanks Loren thanked for this post
    Likes Timmi, Loren liked this post
    You have a 700 rhino but that's a 660 cam plate with the sliders upside down.. and that's not a Yamaha belt either

James Davis
    304-673-2602
    304-877-3419

The nuts were put on so tight I had to use a 700 # impact at 170 psi to get the primary off and had to cut and stretch the secondary nut after heat wouldn’t work using the same.

It seems as I can retap the sheave to keep the cover on with maybe longer screws and blue lock tight?

Sheave questions

I just wanted to thank James for taking the time to help me get my parts needs sorted out. We discovered that the weights were too light and the cam plate was incorrect for the sheave. He was also able to supply me with a flywheel tool for a YFZ450 that I had been needing to buy.
    I was excited to get the parts ordered so I dug the Rhino out to give it a bath before the parts arrive.
    Thanks again James!

13. Thanks Kenny G thanked for this post
    Likes Timmi, Chris, Kenny G liked this post
    Got my parts today and was Stoked for sure!!! However after disassembly of the secondary I found I didn’t order everything I will need. Hate it when that happens!!!

I did find a burr inside the collar bore where the heli-slot is for the pins to ride in. The burr was preventing ease of movement of the collar on the shaft. I smoothed it out with a rotary file and it slides without binding now.

I have a question about the anti-friction washers for the secondary sheave spring.
    Do they both go nearest the sheave, metal one against spring, and is only one set needed? I was going to order tonight with Seals and O-rings for secondary and primary.

Yes on washers against sheave and metal against spring, one set-JBS video describes it.
    I agree about salvaging the sheave by retapping the holes if there is anything left in holes, but I might consider going up to next size screw and ream out cover holes. I would use some hardened socket head screws if it was me and torque them correctly, with maybe a lockwasher on the flat washer. Apparently you have a higher rev limit set so even though I would not typically use loc-tite on these it would not hurt, but so hard to not bogger up the little Philips head, need to use impact to avoid that. But with socket head it would be no challenge.
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

16. Thanks Loren thanked for this post