Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Viking front differential problem

2016 SE Viking 2,100 miles, JBS sheave and slugged wet clutch since for the whole 2,100 miles + 28x10x14 Bighorns on all four corners.
    I was checking trail cams and went to go to 4x4 and accidentally went to diff lock for a sec at 10 mph and it stuck in between (flashing light syndrome) I finally turned it off and when I started back all was well but it wouldn’t go in diff lock, it would go in 4x4 but wouldn’t come out. Turn it off and let it set then restart, comes out. Does this every time. I checked- switch-both relays and then pulled Servo. The Servo actually looked liked it had jumped time. I followed 501 instructions and checked it, reset it and it’s working good but still didn’t help. Pulled it again and the diff itself and sliding assembly that goes over to lock in goes to 4x4 but could only go in full diff lock with more force than I’m sure the Servo motor can put out and then ya got really monkey with it too get it in. Pulled the diff, split the case, no metal and everything appeared ok. I pulled out the limited slip assembly and about 1/3 of the top of the splines on the assembly side where the slide gear goes into looked burred to me. I did file them some and it did seem to help but still sticking. On a up note the limited slip assembly # shows it fits several years of Rhino 700’s & Grizzly 700’s and a few more ( 07 to 11 ) I believe. So if anyone has one lol I could use it and any suggestions are welcome. Or I could always box it up and mail it you James 😁
    When I get this fixed I wanna take diff lock off the switch and put it on it’s own switch....anyone done that yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B707A1BB-E03E-4CE0-AE5F-4166D88AA90E.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	13270  

I would not put a manual switch into the circuit. The control circuit is a "relay logic" arrangement which has multiple interlocks: If this has happened, then do this, etc. The internals of the differential also contain circuitry using various sensing switches in order to prevent any damage to the mechanical portion of the differential. This "speaks" to the relay logic circuitry through the pretty healthy bundle of wire that connects into the main wire harness.
    | I took the one less traveled by....
    | Oh, Oh .

| ............... #
    |___________________________________

3. Likes ShadymtnViking liked this post
    SteveS- It seems he could take the wire (or wires) that goes into that diff lock switch leg and put a manual switch inline so that after he switches to 'diff lock' on main switch, he could then actuate a manual switch as a two step effort. ???
    Shady- sounds like you are in the habit of shifting 4 wheel drive 'on the fly'?
    2016 Wolverine R-Spec EPS, Camo, fender ext. 4000 Moto winch w/syn rope, 14"Method B-locks, 27" Maxxis Vipr 9 & 11's, Full flip windshield, A-arm guards, 2 batts, JBS CVT grind, 16 OD, slugs, purple, JBS/Eibach springs, Autometer Temp Gauge
    08 Rhino 700 SE Black Armor, JBS 734 (bbk w/Carillo crank & rod, CP 11:1, deshrouded valves, Raptor springs, Viking cam & FI, MSD, afr Gauge, Unleashed sheave w/JBS OD 18g greased, Purple, slugs, 27" Mudlite XTRs , 6" Chopped , Mishi Rad, ALBA exhaust

5. Likes ShadymtnViking liked this post
    Lol Jim I’m actually not bad for doing that but I was moving a little. I got the front differential working pretty good by hand and put it back in and hooked everything up and same thing, either won’t shift into 4x4 or if it does wouldn’t shift to diff lock nor would the flashing red light come on. Plus won’t come out of 4x4 till it’s turned off and sets a few minuets? Pulled the center floor pan out where I could set and work the selector knob and hold the wiring too and while pulling on the harness it worked lol Although I couldn’t get it to repeat it I think it’s one of the wires on the plug going to the Servo motor. Got too hot in the garage to work so gonna have to wait to check it some more. Hurts bad cuz it’s a 7 day a week machine, riding to the barn feeding and working around the place and hound hauler for hunting. Thank goodness for my 7,000 mile Rhino lol